Adventure Creator release thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator release thread

Postby kexter » Thu, 16Jan28 01:17

Yes, we have the same thing - a chooseImage() function that resided in BodyBypass but now got moved to PostLoad. It has way better visibility now, so it is immediately obvious if a page has a variable-dependent image.
@kextercius
kexter

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jan31 01:02

Okay, I've uploaded the beta version of the LocTool release of AC (version 7.3b).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8ftr3a0iww0q/AdventureCreator.zip

Changes in 7.3b
This is the beta release of the Localization version of AC. Sending out for feedback and testing before releasing the full version. If you don't ever show the Loc Tool then AC behavior should be the same as previously.

Added preliminary support for the LocTool.
Able to add languages from within the tool.
Able to edit the text from the toptext, hit targets, and table entries, save the file, and have the localized copy be written to the right place.
Localized text shows up in GameView next to the primary text.
To show the LocTool, pull down Edit->Show the Loc Tool
This update requires that you update both AdventureCreator.exe and the AdventureCreator_template.txt.

Oh yeah, and I made the SaveScript not run until the end of UpdateAll.

It's functional, and you can fully localize a game now. But there's a lot more stuff I want to add.
Note that the layout of your game directories is different if you want to use Loc. You might hold off on this until I add the feature to convert an existing directory structure to a loc one.
I also want unlocalized files to be called out in GameView (that's half implemented, but disabled).
UpdateAll doesn't update loc files.
I assumed people would have AC, GameView, and LocTool up, so I didn't put the current filename in the LocTool. Put when I played with it a bit, I decided that would be a good idea.
I'm going to look into doing something to call out [[Functions()]] since you shouldn't loc those.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby kexter » Sun, 16Jan31 01:53

Thanks Tlaero, I've checked and it appears to be working fine with BEW (sans LocTool). One thing though, when I went ahead to check out the LocTool with the Example, I accidentally opened "Start.htm" out of habit which deadlocked AC. Opening any page from the english folder (as instructed) worked fine but I fear this "Start.htm"-issue might freak out potential translators.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jan31 02:13

Thanks Kexter.

I didn't realize it was ever possible to open start.htm. But I certainly don't want it to deadlock. I'll look into that.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby kexter » Sun, 16Jan31 02:27

Well, it's possible to open "Start.htm" with earlier versions but they will warn about the missing "_size.css" at which point I realize that I should be opening "files/_begin.htm" (now "files/english/_begin.htm") anyway and go ahead and open that instead. For some reason I always do this cycle with the Example game - don't ask why.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jan31 02:34

Okay, I see the deadlock. I'll fix it and upload a fix in a bit. It'll work if you open a file that's in the same directory as the _size.css, but in the code I added to search for the css I messed up the loop.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jan31 02:46

Actually, let me think that through a bit more carefully. I fixed it so it would work the way it was originally intended (letting you open a file in a subdir and it searches up to the css) but I didn't anticipate opening start.htm. I should do a proper fix for that before I upload.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Jan31 04:18

Okay I fixed the deadlock. It now does the right thing if you open a file in a subdirectory (it used to complain and do the wrong thing) and at least gives a proper error when you try to open start.htm. I'm planning to eventually let you open and work on Start.htm in AC, but I haven't added that yet. I've uploaded it but left the version number the same.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby kexter » Sun, 16Jan31 13:48

Thanks, after it quick check it works okay, no more deadlocking, and it still plays nice with BEW.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Sun, 16Feb07 04:11

I just released AC 7.4.

I didn't get any feedback on the LocTool, but maybe when people start using it to localize that'll change. In the mean time, I've made a number of improvements to the LocTool as well as making it possible to open and edit Start.htm. The Start.htm change kind of broke my model, so it's possible that I missed an edge case here or there as a result. Kexter, please make sure I didn't screw up how things work with BEW.

You only need to update AdventureCreator.exe to pick up these changes. (Though the start.htm and _game.js in the example have been updated if you want to look at them.)

Changes in 7.4
Fix deadlock if you try to open start.htm or a file in a subdir.
Can open and edit Start.htm in the directory above files.
UpdateAll updates localized files too.
LocTool: grey out the menu item if you're in a game that's not set up for loc.
LocTool: add the filename to the LocTool window title.
LocTool: Turn [[Functions()]] red to remind localizers not to change their names.
LocTool: Non-localized pages show as Broken links in GameView
LocTool: Localizations show in GameView if LocTool visible. (Beware that opening or closing the LocTool repopulates the GameView if it's open, and that can take some time.)

Things on the nearish horizon are:
Autoconvert a non-loc game to Loc.
Possibly changing how localized text is shown in gameview. Maybe on different lines in a different color instead of side by side as it is now.
Conditions for hit targets.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby kexter » Sun, 16Feb07 09:44

Thanks Tlaero! After a quick check everything seems to be in order, BEW still works.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Tue, 16Feb16 01:50

I just found a rather bad bug in AC that I think I added in 7.4. If you open an image with File->Open Image, it'll do the wrong thing. While I fix this, please use ImageViewer to select your images. That still works.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Tue, 16Feb16 02:53

Okay, 7.4.1 uploaded.

Changes in 7.4.1
Fixed a bug where opening images with File->Open Image did the wrong thing.
Fixed a bug where when the first file you open has an animation, the window was too big.
Fixed a bug with parsing html bypasses.

You only need to update your adventurecreator.exe file.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sat, 16Mar05 22:48

I just uploaded AC 7.5. Primary changes are to make things easier for Localizers.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Changes in 7.5
Removed the option to change the primary language when LocTool is in use. That turned out to cause more pain than benefit.
If the Areas in the primary language and the localized language are different, AC tries to fix them. It marks these pages as "Area Moved" in the Game View so that you know to go check and make sure they're correct.
If a string in the primary language has [[Functions()]] and the Localized version doesn't, AC marks the page as "[[Function()]] deleted" in Game View.
If you do "Edit HTML" when LocTool is open, it'll open both the primary language and localized language files.
Fixed a bug where creating a page when there weren't enough pages in GameView to have scroll bars caused an exception.

You only need to update AdventureCreator.exe. To see the new Loc errors, open the LocTool and open GameView. Make sure you have the setting "Check Links in Game View" set.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Mar11 04:18

I've released AC 7.6 (same link as all the others).

Changes in 7.6
Added the ability to write conditions for hit areas. The condition can be a function you write in your _game.js or raw js code, but it must evaluate to true or false. If it returns true, the hit target is used. If it returns false, the hit target is not used.
This change requires that you update AdventureCreator.exe as well as _functions.js.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I didn't update the example to show how to do conditions, so it might not be obvious how to use it.

Tlaero
tlaero

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators