Pusooy's Castle Gravenstein 4

These games are not complete and/or can be totally or partially reserved for paying members. Open a thread in this section is reserved for active members, read the rules before submit a game.

Re: Pusooy's Castle Gravenstein 4

Postby redle » Fri, 15May01 11:43

ut1stgear1 wrote:
kessie8yl wrote:
ut1stgear1 wrote:Surprised at some of the comments here. Puso has stated more than once that his skill, focus and enjoyment lies not in game play but in presently a graphic story...

All I can say is that much of the same criticism directed towards Pusooy all those years ago continues to apply...

No argument from me, just wanted to point out that he wants to keep it in the form of telling a story. So his games are very linear. That was really my point although I tend to get wordy. As you said enough said on the subject.

The only thing I'd really add is that Pusooy's non-elite forum is a complete waste to visit. It's simply a flood of people saying that they've donated. The only way to even know that Pusooy wants to focus on the graphic novel approach is to first pay money to find that out in the elite site.

Okay, yes, he does tend to have threads for each game after release, which is useful for the "I'm stuck on this one part" situation. There's no real public discussion of anything though. Would imagine he could draw quite a bit more traffic if he'd simply improve his forums. Not that I have metrics on how much that might grow his subscriber pool.

@diogen
He doesn't get new subscribers when there's no new game release, and existing ones often won't renew right away if there's no immanent release. Not to mention, as everywhere, people always asking... when's the next? Is it ready? Would be curious how his smaller releases have actually affected total gameplay hours released over any given period.
redle
star of the reef

Postby artorawley » Tue, 15May05 06:50

If the default forum is any indication, it doesn't really matter whether or not a new game is about to be released, he seems ot get a steady stream of subscribers year round. He put up a notice that he's going on vacation for a month, though, so I'm curious how much his business will suffer because of that
artorawley
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby Tchekov » Tue, 15Aug25 18:04

I just finished part 4 and I must say I'm quite disappointed with how the serie turned out. The first episode was extremly good, one of the best I've played. It was simple, but there was so much promise with the characters dynamic, the way all 8 of them were going back and forth with the desire, the jealousy...

But by the time you reach part 3 and 4 it's almost all gone, it's more of a fuck fest with little to no dialogue, and what's worse is that most of the sex scenes don't include any of the 4 original girls. It just seem like a waste of a perfect build up. And part 4 is ridiculously short...

That being said I still think pusooy's games are great overall, like I said I enjoyed part 1 immensely. So I'll take a membership when part 5 comes out, hoping that it'll be longer and involve more of the story and less generic pointless sex scenes. Because unlike some here I don't mind the novel approach with no gameplay, as long as it's interesting. I'll cross my fingers
Tchekov
Pilot fish

Postby Tchekov » Mon, 15Sep28 07:34

Castle Gravenstein 5 is now available in the elite section. Based on what I said above I'm unsure wether I should join just for this one... I really want to see what happens next but if it's still super short or if it's more generic sex scenes devoided of any emotion then I might just wait for the full series to finish.

If any Elite members want to share some impressions I'd be grateful
Tchekov
Pilot fish

Postby Stev-23 » Wed, 15Sep30 16:00

I hope it's more the part 3 instead part 4 style [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Stev-23
great white shark

Postby Vitu » Thu, 15Oct01 16:24

Stev-23 wrote:I hope it's more the part 3 instead part 4 style [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Don't get your hopes up... [img]images/icones/icon18.gif[/img]
Vitu
great white shark

Postby katakana132 » Thu, 15Oct01 18:49

I've played pt 5, it disappointed me. There is sex in it of course but the story seems to have fallen apart and whatever is supposed to be building just isn't. The games/stories need more intrigue and choice, too linear (something we've heard before). Part 1 had me excited for a very interesting story... For me it has fallen apart into click here for sex.
katakana132
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Thu, 15Oct01 19:04

katakana132 wrote:I've played pt 5, it disappointed me. There is sex in it of course but the story seems to have fallen apart and whatever is supposed to be building just isn't. The games/stories need more intrigue and choice, too linear (something we've heard before). Part 1 had me excited for a very interesting story... For me it has fallen apart into click here for sex.

But Pusooy already assumed publicly that his direction is towards visual novels rather than games with puzzles and multiple choices. That's what he's making and publishing.
That may not appeal to everybody but he's been clear about it, so people should know what to expect from his games.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greyelf » Thu, 15Oct01 23:17

Mortze wrote:But Pusooy already assumed publicly that his direction is towards visual novels rather than games with puzzles and multiple choices. That's what he's making and publishing.
That may not appeal to everybody but he's been clear about it, so people should know what to expect from his games.

I think assumed may be the wrong word, you might of meant stated, either way I agree with your statement. *smile*

Pusooy has made it clear in the past that he are making partly interactive visual novels and he has been doing that for a long time now, yet people surprisingly keep complaining about the lack of game play in his creations. It is almost like those people are stuck in the past, in some sort of time loop, a past when Pusooy made games. lol
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby Tchekov » Fri, 15Oct02 13:32

I'm all for the visual novel approach, but then why is the story so awful lately? You'd think no gameplay would mean an emphasis on story, and yet Castle Gravenstein went from a great premise to absolutely nowhere. All you do now is fuck random people that just show up for whatever reasons, there's absolutely nothing in the new games that would explain a visual novel approach.

The "story" in the game is : a bunch of students go in a weird school (episode 1) and now they all fuck (episode 2-5). That's it. Great visual novel, really.
Tchekov
Pilot fish

Postby Greyelf » Fri, 15Oct02 15:13

note: I have not personally viewed the later episodes of Castle Gravenstein because I am not an Elite member.

Tchekov wrote:I'm all for the visual novel approach, but then why is the story so awful lately?
It is not uncommon for authors to run dry of good ideas when writing a multi-part (or single part even) story, just look at the later books in the The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and I would guess that having to also create all the artwork and coding would only add to the problem.

Tchekov wrote:... there's absolutely nothing in the new games that would explain a visual novel approach. ...
The "story" in the game is ....
You, like a number of other people, keep using the word game when talking about his visual novels. This maybe explains the game related expectation that some people seem to have.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby spitzertyp » Fri, 15Oct02 15:54

A lot of people don't like the way Puso had decided to chose.
But also a lot of people do like it. looking at the board it seems that there are a good number of people paying to become Elite-Member.

Talking bout Gravenstein i disagree a bit with the critics on the story. One essential part of the story deals with the misterious physical and psychologial experiments they are doing on the students without the students knowing. But the students are highly talented, so they find out more and more about what might going on. The target of the experiments is to get and keep the students in high sexual mood, so it HAS to come to very much sex-scenes and fucking.
But there are some riddles which will be solved in the next final part(s).

For gameplay: like written, Puso creates Visual Novels with some mouseclicking for the readers. Nothing more, but surely nothing less.

Its up to everyone to enjoy his work or not.
spitzertyp
Games Master

Postby LucaNatoli » Mon, 15Oct05 14:16

part 5 of the novel seems to be bugged for me. Scene 3 when he is going at it with the maid with the cat, after the love heart pulsates, he climaxes, then they are just stuck humping each other, can't proceed, stays on the scene with them humping, unless i am missing something that i should be looking for. It is pretty buggy.
LucaNatoli
Games Master

Postby spitzertyp » Mon, 15Oct05 17:15

I can't reproduce this possible bug.
what browser do you use?
did you tell it on pusos board?
spitzertyp
Games Master

Postby kessie8dn » Mon, 15Oct05 23:04

spitzertyp wrote:A lot of people don't like the way Puso had decided to chose.
But also a lot of people do like it. looking at the board it seems that there are a good number of people paying to become Elite-Member.

Talking bout Gravenstein i disagree a bit with the critics on the story. One essential part of the story deals with the misterious physical and psychologial experiments they are doing on the students without the students knowing. But the students are highly talented, so they find out more and more about what might going on. The target of the experiments is to get and keep the students in high sexual mood, so it HAS to come to very much sex-scenes and fucking.
But there are some riddles which will be solved in the next final part(s).

For gameplay: like written, Puso creates Visual Novels with some mouseclicking for the readers. Nothing more, but surely nothing less.

Its up to everyone to enjoy his work or not.

Sorry to say but I disagree. I've not played part 5 yet because I don't think it's worth the money, but the story hardly moved along in the first 4 parts and I haven't seen anything from those who have played part 5 to make me believe anything has changed.

I've no idea where the story is going - frankly I'm close to the point where I no longer care. The plot has not been presented very well at all. This would be acceptable in a game because the back-story is usually secondary but novels depend on story progression and there just isn't enough of that here. Possibly this is the result of trying to include too many characters? Given the time being taken for everyone to have sex with everyone else, there's hardly any time left for an actual story to develop. The answer would seem to be to either keep the story simple and throw in lots of action or go for an in depth story with less action to keep things moving.

By the way - I don't know of any strict definition of the "interactive novel" but I whinced when it was used in the context of Pusooy. In my experience the outcomes of an interactive novel change depending on the action of the reader. The Leoniser group (LoP, etc) produce the kind of thing I'd regard as "interactive stories", each story having several different endings. That doesn't happen in Pusooy. I do agree that CG is not a game, although they feel closer to Shark's material than anything else I can compare them with and Shark seems to have no problem with his work being labelled as a game. This totally linear format of Pusooy's is therefore neither one thing or the other. I am sure it would improve considerably if he would just make his mind up.
kessie8dn
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Other sexy games