Music

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: Music

Postby sharkfan » Wed, 09Apr29 11:50

There seems to be a good cross section of people of different ages and countries so I was wondering what bands everyone likes to listen to.

I am old so new music to me is Pearl Jam and Bush, but the young people I work with say they are old school. Old school to me is The Grateful Dead or The Cream. Great stuff, just old.

I am curious if anyone here has even heard of someone like Frank Zappa. Now he is old school and very not pop.
sharkfan
star of the reef

Postby shark » Wed, 09Apr29 16:59

If you like guitar, you are obliged to know Frank Zappa (and the mothers)... or Jeff Beck...
shark
Site Admin

sex: Masculine

Postby co90921 » Wed, 09Apr29 18:25

sharkfan wrote : There seems to be a good cross section of people of different ages and countries so I was wondering what bands everyone likes to listen to.

I am old so new music to me is Pearl Jam and Bush, but the young people I work with say they are old school. Old school to me is The Grateful Dead or The Cream. Great stuff, just old.

I am curious if anyone here has even heard of someone like Frank Zappa. Now he is old school and very not pop.

Sharkfan:

The music you are referring to is not "old", just "Classic"!! Frank Zappa of the Mothers of Invention fame has been gone now for around 17 years. I grew up on the music of Led Zeppelin, The Moody Blues, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, The James Gang (remember them?), The Who (remember Cincinnati?), REO Speedwagon, Journey, The Police, Pink Floyd, RUSH, plus a host of other bands. Jimmy Hendricks (and the Experience) is noted as one great guitar artist.

Some of the rock bands today borrow songs from these earlier bands. Goo Goo Dolls re-recording of Supertramp's "Give A Little Bit" as an example. As a side note, my wife likes ABBA.
co90921
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Wed, 09Apr29 18:54

Johny Winter
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Van Halen
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Bonhomie » Thu, 09Apr30 17:05

Ah Cream ..........

I was at Hyde Park in 1969 (?) for the Blind Faith concert.
Bonhomie
Games Master

Postby David » Thu, 09Apr30 17:22

co90921 wrote :

Sharkfan:

The music you are referring to is not "old", just "Classic"!! Frank Zappa of the Mothers of Invention fame has been gone now for around 17 years. I grew up on the music of Led Zeppelin, The Moody Blues, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Eagles, The James Gang (remember them?), The Who (remember Cincinnati?), REO Speedwagon, Journey, The Police, Pink Floyd, RUSH, plus a host of other bands.

I've got a Joe Walsh Greatest Hits double cd, there are several James Gang tracks on it.

Some of my favourite bands/artists: Eagles (also Don Henley & Joe Walsh solo,) Billy Joel, Simple Minds, The Who, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Ultravox, Boston, Cheap Trick, Pat Benatar, Heart, Doobie Brothers, Asia...

I'd better stop there before I go through my entire collection!
David
star of the reef

Postby Arnulf » Thu, 09Apr30 17:25

And: did you like Emerson Lake and Palmer also? (TARKUS)
Arnulf
Master of the skies and the waves

Postby Naphalm » Thu, 09Apr30 17:30

Being 19 years old, I cant say I "Grew up" with these bands, but my interests lie with the Classic rock bands already mentioned, but more specifically, Led Zeppelin, The Who as well as The Beatles, Van Halen, UFO and Thin Lizzy.
Is there anyone interested in more modern stuff? Papa Roach, Disturbed, Stone Sour, Breaking Benjamin?? :)
Naphalm
great white shark

Postby co90921 » Thu, 09Apr30 20:27

David wrote :

I've got a Joe Walsh Greatest Hits double cd, there are several James Gang tracks on it.

Some of my favourite bands/artists: Eagles (also Don Henley & Joe Walsh solo,) Billy Joel, Simple Minds, The Who, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Ultravox, Boston, Cheap Trick, Pat Benatar, Heart, Doobie Brothers, Asia...

I'd better stop there before I go through my entire collection!

David:

There are individuals who remember The James Gang (Joe Walsh)! I saw the band in Athens, Ohio in the early 70s. I also saw Pat Benatar perform with the Steve Miller Band a few years ago. Ms. Benetar still can sing like she did early in her career. I also have "vinyl" albums of some of the bands that you have listed above. Now if I still owned my Turntable with the large Speakers.........
co90921
star of the reef

Postby co90921 » Thu, 09Apr30 20:29

Arnulf wrote : And: did you like Emerson Lake and Palmer also? (TARKUS)

I also saw ELP perform in Athens, Ohio in the early 70s.
co90921
star of the reef

Postby Tjommi » Thu, 09Apr30 20:58

I think you have to look very long and very hard to find a person with a more open mind than me when it comes to music. I listen to all kind of music in all sorts of genre. I go all the way from techno to electronica to classic to pop to metal to folk to rap to jazz and country to boy/girlband and all kind of sub genres. For me the most important thing is there is a melody that I like, if the song is well made and got good lyrics that's just a bonus. When I turned teenager I only listened to metal, but I grew up as well as my love for music. I started learning various instruments played in bands and started making music on my computer. Music is a very important part of my life. It's very very hard for me to pick out what I like the most to listen to but If I think long and hard I think that my top 10 list gotta be something like this :

1 Slipknot - Nu Metal/Thrash metal
2 Helloween - Heavy metal
3 Michelle Branch - Singer/songwriter pop
4 Infected mushroom - Psychadellic trance / Goa
5 Dream Theatre - Progressive Metal
6 Dire Straits - pop/rock/country
7 Fallout boy - Nu Metal/ rock
8 Vamp - Norwegian Folk/pop band
9 My chemical Romance - Nu metal/rock
10 Cradle of Filth - Doom/Black/prog metal

this is in no particular order.
Tjommi
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Thu, 09Apr30 22:03

Any Blues fans here around?

Fleetwood Mac
John Mayall
John Lee Hooker
B.B.King
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Arnulf » Thu, 09Apr30 22:22

"Play me a cut of Goethe!"
Arnulf
Master of the skies and the waves

Postby co90921 » Thu, 09Apr30 22:32

3 Michelle Branch - Singer/songwriter pop

Tjommi:

Michelle Branch has extended her musical talent into the American "Country Music" genre. The Wreckers is her latest CD.
co90921
star of the reef

Postby shark » Thu, 09Apr30 23:09

Arnulf wrote : And: did you like Emerson Lake and Palmer also? (TARKUS)

Yeah!!!! ELP are great. Once, I have thought of using " The Sheriff " music for a game, but I did not dare ...

certainly, you like also Rick Wakeman...
shark
Site Admin

Next

Return to The beach