Telemarketers

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Telemarketers

Postby LRM » Sun, 20Aug30 18:29

They are a HUGE problem in the USA. Is it a problem where you are too?
It got so bad with our home phone I bought an answering machine (AT&T model 1740), programmed it for as short a ring cycle as possible, and quit answering that phone.
I found a British sounding speaking voice and recorded what is said (below):
"Hello;
If you were given this number and invited into our home, we’re sorry you must listen to this, but you know what needs to be done before we can return your call. Please wait for the beep.
If anything political or you’re conducting a telephone survey, NO!
If you’re a telemarketer; you are breaking the law, but you already know that! If you’re a telemarketer and still listening, please leave the address where you conduct your illegal activity and the company name, as it appears on your payroll check. The FTC will be in contact soon.
Thanks" https://www.naturalreaders.com/online/ UK - Rachel

I sincerely hope no one else has this problem.
We have been on the "Do Not Call" list almost since it's inception.
Since we began using the machine, telemarketing calls all but stopped after about 2 weeks.
I do not understand why people/businesses feel it's ok to use something I must pay a monthly fee to have in my home to kick in my door and enter uninvited.
IMO; part of the problem rests with my Government; using the excuse "smaller government" they have furloughed everyone that enforces Federal laws. That includes food inspectors and likely FDA inspectors too. I'm willing to wager even though the heads of most departments no longer supervise large numbers of employees, their pay has not decreased at all!!!
Stows soapbox
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

sex: Masculine

Re: Telemarketers

Postby ttant » Sun, 20Aug30 19:10

I don't know for your contrybut here in france, when you provide your phone number (for any reason) to a company, they may sell their database to whatever other business.
That's why canal+ (tv provider) got easily free (internet access) client phone number (free and canal have a deal: you can get canal+ cheaper if you're already paying free).

Recently, (few years in fact), the french government took the issue and create bloctel (http://www.bloctel.gouv.fr), even if there was a previously "no telemarketing" list (liste rouge).
In theory, before calling a number, a telemarketer should check that the number they want to call is not registred in bloctel, otherwise they can be pursue for that.
In practice, i didn't plug the phone behind my box, so all can call, but i will never answer. People knowing me know to use my mobile number if they want to reach me.
Note for the french reader over here: you can register your mobile number on bloctel too.

A friend of mine told me to not ask "to be removed" from telemarket database but to be declared as "not be called anymore". Main difference is if you are removed today, there are risks to get back again in the list one day. But if your number is already there with "no call" mark, you should be safe (i mean not added twice in the database) ;)
ttant
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Sun, 20Aug30 19:55

Our "Do Not Call" list is a Federal listing (FTC) that supposedly stops telemarketers from calling (once there you will never be added again no matter how many times you sign up). I have checked a few times and we are definitely on that list. Telephone surveys are allowed (some telemarketers masquerade as a survey to sidestep the law), political crap is also exempt.
If you believe what our news broadcasts say, some telemarketing businesses are actually intentionally using that list and calling the numbers on it. I believe it!

The NRA (National Rifle Association) has for years said; "Don't pass more laws, enforce the ones already written.". I tend to agree with that sentiment but we employ VERY few Federal policemen today. IMO that's where the USA is today with almost all Federal laws.

I have seen Federal facilities furlough all employees, lease the site to some subcontractor, and pay more money to have the same tasks performed. The Government loses direct oversight and pays more for the same end. I don't understand why, but it is done in the guise of smaller (cheaper) Government. How do you spell Bull Shit?
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Greebo » Thu, 20Sep10 16:58

Over here in the UK we suffer from precisely the same problem, getting many more spam phone calls than genuine ones despite having registered NOT to receive telemarketing calls. Our most effective weapon against this bombardment is the Panasonic cordless phone system that we bought several years ago combined with our landline provider's 'Caller Display' facility (annoyingly we have to pay extra for this when it should be part of the basic package). This means we can vet any incoming call and pick it up if we reckon it's genuine (most spams and scams don't even wait for the voice message to finish, but some more sophisticated scammers even seem to be able to spoof local numbers.
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby LRM » Thu, 20Sep10 19:24

I understand our phone systems are probably completely different but: my phone is an AT&T model TR1909. It displays the calling number (no additional charge).
My phone service is provided by 1-VOIP (500 outgoing minutes to the US and Canada for just under $14, for an additional $8± unlimited outbound calls to the same areas). When I had service (phone and internet) with Century Link it cost in excess of $70 a month, increased every few months and the internet speed sucked!
I now have Xfinity (Comcast) internet only with a non-Xfinity related connected VOIP phone system.
I just endured a 2-day power failure and a 3+ day internet failure. There are limitations to VOIP.
The machine (first post) answers all calls after 2 rings, I quit answering the phone.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby flinter5215 » Fri, 20Sep11 09:19

Greebo wrote:Over here in the UK we suffer from precisely the same problem, getting many more spam phone calls than genuine ones despite having registered NOT to receive telemarketing calls. Our most effective weapon against this bombardment is the Panasonic cordless phone system that we bought several years ago combined with our landline provider's 'Caller Display' facility (annoyingly we have to pay extra for this when it should be part of the basic package). This means we can vet any incoming call and pick it up if we reckon it's genuine (most spams and scams don't even wait for the voice message to finish, but some more sophisticated scammers even seem to be able to spoof local numbers.

I had one where I got annoyed enough to 1471 (UK call back) and waste my money calling them back. Not only was it the switch board of a major London hospital but they had obviously had so much of a problem that their robot answer system had it on their list of options.
flinter5215
great white shark

Return to The beach