Can I post Abandonware?

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Can I post Abandonware?

Postby ozguy » Thu, 16Dec29 23:00

I purchased Lover's Ecstasy many years ago. The web site for it has since disappeared and the author's contact information is no longer valid, so it is not possible to register the demo version any more.

If it is OK with the mods, I can post the demo, along with my registration info, and a file that contains all the user created databases that were released.

The game is similar to the more recent "Dare to Play 2" which likely copied the game. The origins of both games go back to an old DOS game called Intersexion.
It is basically an adult version of Monopoly, meant for 2 or more players, where instead of paying rent you can perform favors.

It is a little buggy with Win10 in that you will get a file error on each "action" but can proceed anyway. I believe it is due to the different path names in Win10.
ozguy
great white shark

Re: Can I post Abandonware?

Postby LRM » Thu, 16Dec29 23:30

Thank you for asking first...
I'm going to defer to the boss. Shark will surely post his desire.
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

sex: Masculine

Postby drgong » Fri, 17May12 21:08

Just wanted to say I owned this game at one time, and lost in a HD crash, and would love to see it again.
drgong
Pilot fish

Postby ozguy » Sat, 17May20 04:58

Apparently Shark never posted his desire....
ozguy
great white shark

Postby LRM » Sat, 17May20 06:44

Send him a PM with a link to this thread.
Please ask he cc me if he answers by PM.
LRM
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby shark » Sat, 17May20 07:40

I did not answer because I don't know if it's legal or not.
This game was released as a shareware requiring a payment to be kept. The abandonware law is very imprecise...
shark
Site Admin

Postby kessie8dn » Sun, 17May21 10:36

In an attempt to be helpful may I draw attention to the English law regarding treasure trove which is along the lines of: If the treasure has been deliberately hidden with the intention of being recovered later then it belongs to the person who hid it or to anyone entitled to inherit from them. If however a treasure is simply lost or abandoned it belongs to the finder (and/or the person whos land it was on).

This applies whether the original owner is dead or alive. The onus on the loser being to prove in court that he/she did not intend to abandon it.

The implication being anyone who abandons ownership of something forfeits any subsequent right to claim it.
kessie8dn
lagoon predator

Postby scrumbles » Sun, 17May21 17:17

Afaik abandonware software is still protected by copyright laws for at least 50 years (it depends on the country). Even abandonware sites do not claim it to be legal: it is at most tolerated, but it is still piracy.

I suggest you to submit the game to an abandonware site, such as www.abandonia.com or www.abandonware-france.org: once the game is accepted, you can mention here the site where the game can be downloaded (no direct links to the game: just the site).

Probably I am paranoic, I know, but better safe than sorry. During the last years, many dead games have been reborn, thanks to Steam, or they have been adapted to mobile phones. ;)
scrumbles
sirens hunter

Postby Greyelf » Sun, 17May21 23:37

scrumbles wrote:...is still protected by copyright laws...

Copyright ownership generally doesn't expire, it is the excursive usage or ability to conditionally licence that usage of the copyrighted 'item' that expires.

eg. The original creator (or their legal representative / entity the copyright was transferred to) still owns the copyright on the said creation, after a period of time other people are allowed usage of the creation without having to first get the permission of the copyright holder to do so.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby kessie8dn » Mon, 17May22 00:17

...but if anyone has any vested interest in this copyright they can only take it up with the site that is sharing the application

If I listen to music in a bar that doesn't have a performance licence it's the bar owner who is at fault, not me
kessie8dn
lagoon predator

Postby Frank » Thu, 17Aug03 02:26

Copy right law varies from nation to nation as well.
Frank
great white shark

Return to Free sexy games