(WIP) A Family Affair

The specific forum for rags games creators

(WIP) A Family Affair

Postby MAFUte » Thu, 16Oct27 01:02

Hello everyone,

Big fan of this site and all the games everyone has created. I've played through as many as possible, and finally decided to try my hand at making my own. I've worked on this game for a long time, though I took about a 4 month break from it as I simply got burned out. I've picked it back up and want to share it with you all.

As of right now, the game is still a work in progress, though definitely playable. There are currently 9 achievements to get. I'm sure there were will be bugs or things out of whack, so please bear with me, and let me know of anything you find. You'll find some similarities in the game to both Unfaithful, and LOP's Living With Temptation. Those two are my favorite games I've played, so they definitely influenced me.

The game contains both images and gifs, so is a little bit bigger of a file. Please enjoy, and leave any kind of feedback you have. Game works best with RAGS 3.59.

Download (V: 1.1.3): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4mvW ... WdNa0FzRkU
Last edited by MAFUte on Fri, 16Nov04 21:24, edited 12 times in total.
MAFUte
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Re: (WIP) A Family Affair

Postby xravensfan » Thu, 16Oct27 05:21

I love the directioin of the game. LWT is one of my favorite games... so you are taking good inspiration.

A couple of bugs... After a couple of days you can no longer kiss the girls. Says you have done that enouogh for today.

Also, after a bit of training at the gym, if you examine your character, it does not give you a descrpition. You can also keep training past 24:00... and even if you have zero energy.

Lots of rooms, so there is plenty of potential here. Enjoying it!!
xravensfan
lagoon predator

Postby wildride » Thu, 16Oct27 09:55

The gym bugs arent too difficult to sort out, just a couple of variable comparison checks added to the condition ie Energy greater than 29, Time of day less than 23 and greater than 6. As for Molly, likely on the variable for her desire has the enforce limit with the max still at default 100.

Ive only played a few minutes, one bug Ive noticed is a realism bug I guess you could call it. At the start of the day interacted with carly in bed then bathroom, then was in the bathroom with sam. Could look at (see her in bath) and talk about how her clothes look (shows her fully dressed). If Im not in the bathroom beforehand then She has locked the door and you cant get in. Need some mechanic to kick the player out if the person does not want them in there, Ive not come to this in my own game so not sure of a good solution (but going to need to come up with one Im sure), it also depends on how you have characters moving from location to location.

This is probably best done by a timer condition where if a player is in the bathroom and another character is in there, then a relationship check is done and if not high enough the game would bump the player out into the hallway with a message of "Person kicked you out of the bathroom so they could use it"
Last edited by wildride on Fri, 16Oct28 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
wildride
lagoon predator

Postby bobsuncle1 » Thu, 16Oct27 13:18

Been playing for a little and thought I'd try to get the achievements using the debug to reverse time and I am finding it a bit hard to figure them out. So can I suggest give an idea to give more guidance on how to get them?

Also i did get one but it seems like apart from the scene you get nothing for finding them and I feel they are really unsatisfying for what you get compared to the rest of the game.

And not sure if its a bug but I can't seem to get Molly's desire over 100.
bobsuncle1
sirens hunter

Postby 6opoga » Thu, 16Oct27 14:13

RAGS 3.0.60 doesn't work properly, use 3.0.59 only
6opoga
great white shark

Postby nezumi69 » Thu, 16Oct27 19:41

Ok, tried this on 2.4.16 and it seems like it's working ok, but several 'bugs' have popped up and I don't know if it's game code or incompatible runner problems...

I ran into the same bug as Wildride of being able to stay in the bathroom when Sam comes in, if you don't use shower or brush teeth and get removed from the room.

When the kiss option opened up for Molly, I was able to kiss her twice the first day, and then never again. Talk option resets every day for everyone, but that seems to be the only option that does for Sam and Molly. This goes for the iPhone too. I was able to text Carly and Molly twice the day I bought it, but not Sam, and the only one that I can text on another day is Carly.

Day 6 and 7 mimic a weekend, with different placement options for the girls hour by hour, but this continues after day 7. Days 8, 9, 10 so far have all run on the 'weekend' movement pattern, even including the 'reward' from Carly for keeping your chores score up.

Unsure if this is a bug, or just a feature, but Molly capped at 100 desire. Sam has passed 100, although no new options have opened up so far (at desire 101+, I was able to enter the bathroom while she was taking her morning bath).
nezumi69
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Fri, 16Oct28 10:36

"achivements" counter doesn't increase when you manage to get one of them. It's written in the text box: "achievement reached: first look" (day 17), but it's still written "achivements:0/9" on the bottom part of the screen.

You see Samantha naked in her bedroom butfore the first achievement (thanks to high desire and many many talks), so this one has no meaning anymore.

You can get way more than 10/10 for chores and hygiene variables.

Talks, kisses and texts issues had already been reported, so I won't say anything about that.

It would be nice to be able to select how much long you want to sleep with the nap option (1h/2h/4h)

Anyway, the game clearly needs polishing but it's already a solid start for a good game.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby wildride » Fri, 16Oct28 11:36

nezumi69 wrote:Ok, tried this on 2.4.16 and it seems like it's working ok, but several 'bugs' have popped up and I don't know if it's game code or incompatible runner problems...

I ran into the same bug as Wildride of being able to stay in the bathroom when Sam comes in, if you don't use shower or brush teeth and get removed from the room.

When the kiss option opened up for Molly, I was able to kiss her twice the first day, and then never again. Talk option resets every day for everyone, but that seems to be the only option that does for Sam and Molly. This goes for the iPhone too. I was able to text Carly and Molly twice the day I bought it, but not Sam, and the only one that I can text on another day is Carly.

Day 6 and 7 mimic a weekend, with different placement options for the girls hour by hour, but this continues after day 7. Days 8, 9, 10 so far have all run on the 'weekend' movement pattern, even including the 'reward' from Carly for keeping your chores score up.

Unsure if this is a bug, or just a feature, but Molly capped at 100 desire. Sam has passed 100, although no new options have opened up so far (at desire 101+, I was able to enter the bathroom while she was taking her morning bath).

Its would seem the only noticeable difference then is that the formatting is different (girls names coloured in 3.0.59 not 2.4.16 as an example)

Im going to add a bug (as continuity is an pet peeve to me) when given the reward where Carly walks up to you, its flashing up Samantha's picture (where you talk to her) and not Carly's.
wildride
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Fri, 16Oct28 12:30

I can't get the second achievement... Any idea?
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby wildride » Fri, 16Oct28 14:43

paquito wrote:I can't get the second achievement... Any idea?

Well havent played too far (day 12) been trying to find work arounds to "bugs" ie if theres a trigger to go past 100 desire with Molly (physique/waiting to kiss/text)

But a few options might be, getting super fit (I got it to a point Im not getting anything when I examine, but could go further?) Doing work on PC, something on the beach perhaps? however if there is a bug with Days not playing out (perma weekend) or Molly not progressing, these could be blocking achievements.

Will wait on Mafute to comment on those.

PS Mafute sounds pretty much like my own games progress, stuck due to lack of time. My games similar in technical scope and inspired by Unfaithful. If you need help debugging or want to implement something but are stuck on how to get it done I might have resolved it just shoot me a PM. Something I have for example is a day of the week cycle (Monday-Sunday then back to Monday) which would make a weekly cycle easier to set up.
wildride
lagoon predator

Postby paquito » Fri, 16Oct28 16:49

For Molly you can speak to her twice a day and cooking dinner.
paquito
legend of the South Seas

Postby wildride » Fri, 16Oct28 17:09

paquito wrote:For Molly you can speak to her twice a day and cooking dinner.

Yeah, but still gets capped at 100 or have you managed to find a way past that?
wildride
lagoon predator

Postby MAFUte » Fri, 16Oct28 22:11

Thank you all so much for playing and leaving comments. I will do my best to get all these bugs fixed. Some have already been fixed (Molly desire capping at 100), but I forgot to upload the game after saving it.

I have limited time work on this game due to work and family constraints, but will get these problems corrected ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.
MAFUte
great white shark

Postby MAFUte » Fri, 16Oct28 22:16

Question for those of you with experience making games in RAGS. Does anyone know how to make GIFs continually loop in the player? I would love for the GIFs to continually loop until the 'continue' button is pushed, or another picture populates.

Thanks.
MAFUte
great white shark

Postby grimgor » Fri, 16Oct28 22:42

paquito wrote:I can't get the second achievement... Any idea?

I have only the second achievement, you receive a text message to molly to meet her at the pool
grimgor
great white shark

Next

Return to RAGS games