I am not gone

A quiet place at the lagoon side for speaking about all and nothing (the financial crisis, sex, your country, sex, hobbies, or...sex)

Re: I am not gone

Postby LRM » Mon, 16Aug08 19:55

That's a lifetime in computer years.
Here, you might be hard pressed to prove you didn't do something to burn it out.
Got Wood?
LRM

sex: Masculine

Postby Greyelf » Tue, 16Aug09 00:53

LRM wrote:Here, you might be hard pressed to prove you didn't do something to burn it out.

They did, they powered the computer up thus causing electricity to travel through the PSU which causes the burn out. hehehe [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby PinkVendeta » Thu, 16Aug11 10:00

Skelaturi wrote:
PinkVendeta wrote:How much is this little puppy setting You back?

1,5 months salary

Must have been a faulty Power Supply Unit or (PSU) as nerds will know it as.

Was it pre built to your specifications and then shipped to You?, or was it all sole parts You bought and then You and a buddy built it?, I ask only, if it was pre built and shipped to You, then clearly you have a come back with a faulty Power Supply Unit, to many things can be said when a computer is not pre built and something goes wrong when building it.

Earthing yourself is key when building a computer yourself, as we humans have a nasty habit of accidentally leaking Electrostatic Discharge into computer components when building a new computer which short term and long term can cause harm.

Electrostatic discharge (ESD) is the sudden flow of electricity between two electrically charged objects caused by contact, an electrical short, or dielectric breakdown.
A buildup of static electricity can be caused by electrostatic induction, this is why there are simple wrist bands to earth a person to stop this happening.

Just curious either way of the cause?? and also hope the faulty Power Supply Unit did not affect the motherboard and other parts also??
I Am Not speaking From Experience - I Just Have A Vivid Imagination

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 16Aug11 19:03

As far as buddy and me can tell, no other parts were affected. And of course we ground ourselves. Got those cute little wristbands for it.
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby PinkVendeta » Thu, 16Aug11 22:21

Skelaturi wrote:As far as buddy and me can tell, no other parts were affected. And of course we ground ourselves. Got those cute little wristbands for it.

Excellent nothing else was harmed by the power supply blowing out, I bought a weird coloured one for my wrist ages back, and You would literally need to be doing drugs to fully understand the many colours on it :lol:

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Fri, 16Aug12 01:17

Skelaturi wrote:3 years. No good sir, you are mistaken

Hmm, I'm puzzled -- according to tomshardware.co.uk it's 3 years, according to Azerty it's 7 years and according to corsair.com it's 10 years! [img]kator/smiley152.gif[/img]

Whatever, FLASH! BANG! WALLOP! should mean bright, shiny, new, replacement PSU surely?
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby PinkVendeta » Fri, 16Aug12 02:54

Did You say one of the Internal Hard Drive is 5400RPM?, that is pretty slow by todays standards for RPM for a Hard Drive, a few years back I had one that was over 10,000 RPM.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby muttdoggy » Fri, 16Aug12 03:57

Many people I know will do a RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) of multiple Hard Drives to increase the read and write speeds. It does work and some RAID configurations can tolerate drive failures. But when it comes to the high rpm hard drives, they can be quicker than many RAID systems with accessing the data but it's suggested that you do what you can to keep the drive cool. But all hard drives do is load the program into the RAM (Random Access Memory) and you're running off the RAM. So if you need gaming speed, get the highest amount AND speed of RAM that your motherboard can support. But if you do movies, audio and video processing, then it's worth getting higher speed hard drives.
muttdoggy
lagoon predator

Postby Skelaturi » Fri, 16Aug12 17:59

yup 5400 rpm is enough for a gamer, it's not that that hard drive will get windows or any other programs on it that i need to run fast. That's what the solid state drive is for.
Doggy style (noun)
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Skelaturi

Postby PinkVendeta » Sat, 16Aug13 11:05

muttdoggy wrote:Many people I know will do a RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) of multiple Hard Drives to increase the read and write speeds. It does work and some RAID configurations can tolerate drive failures. But when it comes to the high rpm hard drives, they can be quicker than many RAID systems with accessing the data but it's suggested that you do what you can to keep the drive cool. But all hard drives do is load the program into the RAM (Random Access Memory) and you're running off the RAM. So if you need gaming speed, get the highest amount AND speed of RAM that your motherboard can support. But if you do movies, audio and video processing, then it's worth getting higher speed hard drives.

Nice to see You know your stuff, as do I with regard to computer hardware, had a gaming computer a few years back built by Dell, the tower was huge, big size power supply, 4 fans running constantly, 2 hard drives setup in a RAID array, both ran above 10,000 RPM, em a few gigs of Ram, what ever the Mother board could take in max amounts of Ram it had, best intel processors, best NVidia GeForce card that was out at the time, that PC was fast always but cool, it was not cheap :lol: that's for sure, Dads credit card took a major hit that month.

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby muttdoggy » Sat, 16Aug13 23:16

PinkVendeta wrote:
muttdoggy wrote:Many people I know will do a RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) of multiple Hard Drives to increase the read and write speeds. It does work and some RAID configurations can tolerate drive failures. But when it comes to the high rpm hard drives, they can be quicker than many RAID systems with accessing the data but it's suggested that you do what you can to keep the drive cool. But all hard drives do is load the program into the RAM (Random Access Memory) and you're running off the RAM. So if you need gaming speed, get the highest amount AND speed of RAM that your motherboard can support. But if you do movies, audio and video processing, then it's worth getting higher speed hard drives.

Nice to see You know your stuff, as do I with regard to computer hardware, had a gaming computer a few years back built by Dell, the tower was huge, big size power supply, 4 fans running constantly, 2 hard drives setup in a RAID array, both ran above 10,000 RPM, em a few gigs of Ram, what ever the Mother board could take in max amounts of Ram it had, best intel processors, best NVidia GeForce card that was out at the time, that PC was fast always but cool, it was not cheap :lol: that's for sure, Dads credit card took a major hit that month.

That's why I call my system "a good start". For now. All I need is more ram (random access memory), a better processor and graphics card.
What I did first was get an old Windows XP case from a local custom computer builder so it's quite big, all steel, and sturdy.
Second, I got a 650 watt PSU (power supply unit)with gold connectors and a larger fan. I don't need more than that. It usually goes on the bottom of the case but it's on the top blowing down directly on the processor's heatsink.
I got another fan since the chassis fan was still okay so I have 4 fans counting the PSU.. I have another fan already and will replace the case fan since its old and then add another to the front of the case by the hard drive array.
Third, I got a very good AMD motherboard that can take any current cpu and installed that.
Then I added a Western Digital Blue 7400 rpm 1 gig hard drive and an LG super multi drive to read and play music, cds, DVDS, etc.
After all that I only had the budget left to put in 4 gigs ram, a 3.1 dual core Athlon 2, and a gt 630. :(
But at least that's the easy part. Adding ram or a graphic card is a breeze and so is changing out the CPU(Central Processing Unit OR processor).. my only worry is whether my windows 10 will "brick" on me after adding the CPU. :??:
muttdoggy
lagoon predator

Postby Skelaturi » Tue, 16Aug16 19:13

so they tested the PSU and they basically confirmed what i said DOA. Now tomorrow my new PSU will arrive with the mail. So everyone Annie style

Tomorrow, tomorrow
the new power-supply arrives
tomorrow
I hope it doesn't, blow up
Doggy style (noun)
---

--
Skelaturi

Postby Skelaturi » Thu, 16Aug18 19:30

facepalm. Last time i am going to buy anything from corsair. Simply said LAST TIME.

It didn't blew up (yet). But you know what. The first one did and the 2nd one has no power-chord in it. Fortunately those things are not hard to come by, but still. Freaking last time.
Doggy style (noun)
---

--
Skelaturi

Postby PinkVendeta » Fri, 16Aug19 12:12

Skelaturi wrote:facepalm. Last time i am going to buy anything from corsair. Simply said LAST TIME.

It didn't blew up (yet). But you know what. The first one did and the 2nd one has no power-chord in it. Fortunately those things are not hard to come by, but still. Freaking last time.

Didn't corsair makes planes? :lol:

Hannah
PinkVendeta
legend of the South Seas

Postby Skelaturi » Fri, 16Aug19 18:00

Maybe, but i wouldn't fly in then. They either blow up or a cable is missing.
Doggy style (noun)
---

--
Skelaturi

PreviousNext

Return to The beach