New game and a change in thinking?

here, you can speak about shark's games. (comment, need help...)

Re: New game and a change in thinking?

Postby unsub » Sat, 10Jun19 07:08

I'd like to begin by genuinely thanking shark for a number of entertaining games over the years.

Quality game play and character development on the site have steadily improved and the result is often a solid game that entertains.

I don't know how long the site has been up or how long I lurked before my first post but I have noticed in the 3&1/2 years that i've been following and supporting shark, the down time between games has steadily increased.

I hesitated to remark because I follow the boards and have noticed more than a few disrespectful new members who incite negative interactions, but I've also noticed long standing members respectfully praising Shark's efforts, also questioning the ever increasing time between games and being lambasted for their excitement toward a new installment.

I have donated through paypal in the past, long before the Priv-box existed and I respect that members who don't back the site with some contribution have no room for complaint.

I now see increased advertising and promotion on other sites and I wonder if there hasn't been a shift in administration goals from building a loyal fanbase by consistently producing quality games, to increasing site traffic through prolonged waits and hinting at tentative release dates in various forums (ie: Bastille Day)

I'm sure my comments will be criticized and vilified but in the end I only wish to make clear that I miss the consistent entertainment this site has provided in years past.

As always, thank you Shark and co. for your efforts, I sincerely mean it. But after six months, I look forward playing your next creation and pray it arrives before July 14th.

Best regards,
Unsub
unsub
sirens hunter

Postby DiTo » Sat, 10Jun19 08:59

Dear Unsub,

I think I owe you and other sharkies an apology. It was I who launched the date of July 14th as a date for releasing the next game. It was intended as a cynical remark towards several impatient pilot fishes. Like you I noticed time between releases increasing over the years, but also the quality of the games in storybuilding and in length is increasing as well as the technical behaviour.
We all are eager to play a new game. But we have to keep in mind that Shark is not working on them 24/7. He's got a regular job, and a private life, developing games is merely his hobby.
The financial support is just to keep the site up and keep it accessible for all.
(Again, all that I wrote overhere is on my account, and I may be very wrong, but that's the way I see it now)

D.
DiTo
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 10Jun19 10:47

Funny isn't how a quipped remark becomes rumour, just like journalists who get the 'hint' of a story and "all hell breaks loose" trying to be the first to publish every last detail, gleaned by supposition of side issues!

DiTo, apart from July 14, you've got that fairly right. I also believe that "day" job sometimes keeps him away from home for several days on end.

D? Are your feet on firm sand or being massaged with a warm muddy ooze in that av?
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Postby Mimailia » Sat, 10Jun19 14:07

Other things to consider:

1) From mid 20's to late 40's life continually increased its bite in my free time. I'm fairly certain that it's no different for Sharkie.

2) If I understand correctly, servers cost by the amount of traffic that goes through it. I'm sure 500 members (from 3 yrs ago) produced a lot less traffic than the 10,000+ members we have now.

M
I can't figure out how to use the signature!
Mimailia
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 10Jun19 15:00

unsub wrote : ......(see opening comment)......

I now see increased advertising and promotion on other sites and I wonder if there hasn't been a shift in administration goals from building a loyal fanbase by consistently producing quality games, to increasing site traffic through prolonged waits and ....

Best regards,
Unsub

The only thing that I perceive about which there is no comment is the above.

Shark alone is in control of Administration policy. The moderators have power of edit, and yes, make advices to Shark. On that latter point, so have all who are registered, via PM.

It would seem that search engines are providing the Lagoon with many first-timer visitors, quite a few register and some of those feel it a good venue/vehicle to promote their wares. That's sometimes a problem for the moderation team. That additional traffic also seems to bring the "Sharks Lagoon" server to a slow when a new product is released.

What you appear to be seeing is a product of "fame".
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby DiTo » Sat, 10Jun19 21:17

Squeeky wrote :
D? Are your feet on firm sand or being massaged with a warm muddy ooze in that av?

I hoped no one would ask, but to be honest, it's muddy and crowded with eels trying to get in, didn't you notice the sneer I'm trying to hide? hihi
DiTo
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 10Jun20 03:18

DiTo wrote :
.... with eels trying to get in ....

[img]kator/smiley42.gif[/img]
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans