About the new front page of the New Lagoon

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

About the new front page of the New Lagoon

Postby Trucla » Mon, 11Nov14 23:34

Hi!

For some days now, every time I visit the New Lagoon I feel unpleasantly confronted with a new front page asking me to state whether or not I'm of legal age to see the content of the site.

I think this was somehow suggested by someone (or Shark just decided it by himself) as a measure to comply with some law made by pseudo pure people (I'm convinced, but may be it's just me, that their minds are much dirtier than ours) in an effort to convince under-aged people to not frequent such naughty sites. I agree that Shark must take all the necessary steps in order to comply with those stupid laws that forbid nudity but don't do anything against violence.

But... I would suggest a cookie (living forever, or being deleted after a certain time - as long as possible) working in a way that after opening the gates for the first time, we will not need to do it again while the cookie lives in our computer. Something similar to what happens in Yahoo AIF Groups.

Besides this the warning bears three errors (one per language) in its text. Instead of OK it should read Enter.

Thanks!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Re: About the new front page of the New Lagoon

Postby Graen » Mon, 11Nov14 23:48

The cookie idea has been thrown around, and I too hope it does get implemented. ;)
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby shark » Tue, 11Nov15 00:10

Trucla,
Thank you for the corrections.
Indeed, this page was suggested… and I think it's a good suggestion. So, if it's really impossible for you to see it, I suppose you noticed that you can enter directly on the lagoon with this address :
"http://www.the-new-lagoon.com/index.php"
shark
Site Admin

Postby Squeeky » Tue, 11Nov15 00:21

I did pass that the thought of bookmarking index.php before LRM but that idea does not work if you come from: http://sharks-lagoon.fr/index.html.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby shark » Tue, 11Nov15 00:32

"index html" is the page you visit if you to type simply "http://the new lagoon.com" (it's often what people do for a first visit) but then, you can create and save a link towards "index.php".
shark
Site Admin

Postby Trucla » Tue, 11Nov15 00:38

shark wrote:Trucla,
Thank you for the corrections.
Indeed, this page was suggested… and I think it's a good suggestion. So, if it's really impossible for you to see it, I suppose you noticed that you can enter directly on the lagoon with this address :
Shark, I didn't say it was a bad idea. And didn't say that it is impossible to see it. What I did say, or at least meant to say was that seeing that every time we want to enter the forum is really annoying! And as I'm used to act, I've offered a suggestion.

As far as the address you refer at the end is concerned it's better you remove it from your post, as it will show visitors how to bypass the "control". In other words it makes the acceptance of the rule useless.

Thanks!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Trucla » Tue, 11Nov15 00:45

Squeeky wrote:I did pass that the thought of bookmarking index.php before LRM but that idea does not work if you come from: http://sharks-lagoon.fr/index.html.

shark wrote:"index html" is the page you visit if you to type simply "http://the new lagoon.com" (it's often what people do for a first visit) but then, you can create and save a link towards "index.php".

Well from what I read Squeeky wants to say is that you may do a change in the main site (sharks-lagoon.fr/) when linking to the forum. And that it's easily doable, the warning already existing in that main site.

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Squeeky » Tue, 11Nov15 01:02

Let's understand the navigation:
If you come to the Board via the "Forum" button at Shark's Lagoon you are directed to the domain, the-new-lagoon.com.
This by default lands you at the-new-lagoon.com/index.html
A change of the 'html' extension to 'php' by-passes the warning and goes directly to the Board index.

From the discussion above then, it would seem that the best means of control would in fact be a cookie (For how long? Could it be made to determine the rank of the user?) at the Board site.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Trucla » Tue, 11Nov15 01:22

Squeeky wrote:From the discussion above then, it would seem that the best means of control would in fact be a cookie (For how long? Could it be made to determine the rank of the user?) at the Board site.
This should be addressed to a baker (who makes the cookies), and the cookie should be able to read other cookies from the site.

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Lobiy » Tue, 11Nov15 03:26

Whats the big deal guys? Just hit enter on that page. It's a lot easier than having these guys work on a cookie.
This site is fine imho, Let these guys stay doing what they love to do...make games.
Lobiy
Pilot fish

Postby LRM » Tue, 11Nov15 08:24

Lobiy wrote:Whats the big deal guys? Just hit enter on that page. It's a lot easier than having these guys work on a cookie.
This site is fine imho, Let these guys stay doing what they love to do...make games.

There are some legitimate reasons for a cookie and they have been discussed in a separate thread.
"I have and read and will comply with the forum rules."
"I will not pester authors with incessant requests for new games."
"I will try to help myself by performing a search and if necessary READ before I post my plea for assistance."
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Trucla » Tue, 11Nov15 17:16

Lobiy wrote:Whats the big deal guys?
Yes, what's the big deal? Expressing an opinion and point to a possible solution? Isn't this the right place to do it? You better read the forum description!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Lobiy » Tue, 11Nov15 22:33

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't getting on anyone at all :)

I was just saying it's just a small thing to click past that page. But believe me, I did not mean any thing against anyone.

I wouldn't have said anything at all, but being a web master myself I know the work involved with running a high traffic site.

sorry for the confusion :)
Lobiy
Pilot fish

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 11Nov16 00:47

Lobiy wrote:Don't get me wrong, ................

................. but being a web master myself I know the work involved with running a high traffic site.

In which case you should be aware of the value of aesthetics both on a page and for page navigation.
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Hey Chief » Wed, 11Nov30 05:40

LRM wrote:
Lobiy wrote:Whats the big deal guys? Just hit enter on that page. It's a lot easier than having these guys work on a cookie.

There are some legitimate reasons for a cookie and they have been discussed in a separate thread.
"I have and read and will comply with the forum rules."
"I will not pester authors with incessant requests for new games."
"I will try to help myself by performing a search and if necessary READ before I post my plea for assistance."

Note on the above items have been discussed and we all know a lot of our members don't read the post they just made let alone the one before the last one. I suspect they stay away from threads as they are afraid of needles!
Hey Chief (I know get off your soap box) :crazy:
Hey Chief
lagoon predator

Next

Return to Shark's website