A suggestion for an extra forum...

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: A suggestion for an extra forum...

Postby Squeeky » Tue, 11May31 01:02

I think that Arnulf has usually provided a Video walkthrough at about 3 or 4 weeks after the release of a new game (has that normally been posting within the Priv-Box or having gone public, I don't recall).

That link over to "Shark's Lagoon" at the head of a developing cryptic hints "walkthrough" should be sufficient, in my opinion.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Postby kessie8yl » Wed, 11Jun01 22:30

Squeaky - More or less exactly what I had in mind but don't have the know-how to execute it.

Thanks for popping in and having a rummage around my head - I hope the treatment will prevent any lasting effects and you'll be back to normal soon :)
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby kessie8yl » Wed, 11Jun01 22:42

Of course Arnulf does walkthroughs for Shark's games but my suggestion was mainly aimed at the "All sexy games" section - I only used Babysitting as an example because it's a game everyone reading this will be familiar with...

Of course, there's no reason why it couldn't work for Shark's games as well...

Come to that, it would probably work equally as well for the TADS games, etc...

Could it be made simple enough for any Tom, Dick or Harriet to post hints without having to have someone dedicating time to entering every single update? An overseer would be useful, if a volunteer could pop in every now and then to remove any garbage and make sure hints haven't been entered in clear text, etc...
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby kessie8yl » Wed, 11Jun01 23:04

Btw I understand the points expressed by Trucia and LRM and, yes, absolutely, no full walkthrough should be published for at least a month - quite possibly longer.

To repeat my earlier post, my main point wasn't concerning Shark's games, which are usually pretty logical and well designed. However there are other games where the cursor has to be within a micromillimetre of a certain spot for the action to be triggered (Pusooy is sometimes guilty of this).

In those cases you think it is obvious what you need to do, but you go square-eyed trying to find the hotspot and start to wonder if you're missing something. How does this add to your enjoyment of the game? Unless the player is a masochist - in which case he/she wouldn't be looking for a hints forum, so no problem there then :)

I raised the subject of TADS games earlier - These too have the annoying habit of needing one specific word out of the hundreds available that may describe the very same object or action you know just has to be the next step. I won't even mention the times when that word has been mis-spelled.

That's the idea of the hints/tips really - just to take the bits of grit out of the machine. Hence the "step by step" approach outlined by Squeaky's demonstration. You get stuck at a certain point and just need a hint (subtle or otherwise) so you can continue playing and enjoying the game.

Of course people will mis-use it, but they already do that anyway - and clog the forum up in the process.
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby LRM » Wed, 11Jun01 23:20

kessie8yl wrote:Btw I understand the points expressed by Trucia and LRM and, yes, absolutely, no full walkthrough should be published for at least a month - quite possibly longer.

To repeat my earlier post, my main point wasn't concerning Shark's games, which are usually pretty logical and well designed. However there are other games where the cursor has to be within a micromillimetre of a certain spot for the action to be triggered (Pusooy is sometimes guilty of this).

In those cases you think it is obvious what you need to do, but you go square-eyed trying to find the hotspot and start to wonder if you're missing something. How does this add to your enjoyment of the game? Unless the player is a masochist - in which case he/she wouldn't be looking for a hints forum, so no problem there then :)

I raised the subject of TADS games earlier - These too have the annoying habit of needing one specific word out of the hundreds available that may describe the very same object or action you know just has to be the next step. I won't even mention the times when that word has been mis-spelled.

That's the idea of the hints/tips really - just to take the bits of grit out of the machine. Hence the "step by step" approach outlined by Squeaky's demonstration. You get stuck at a certain point and just need a hint (subtle or otherwise) so you can continue playing and enjoying the game.

Of course people will mis-use it, but they already do that anyway - and clog the forum up in the process.

It is underway I think. We need volunteers to handle what you suggest. We are pursuing a few. Interested?
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 11Jun02 00:11

kessie8yl wrote:Squeaky - More or less exactly what I had in mind but don't have the know-how to execute it.

Thanks for popping in and having a rummage around my head - I hope the treatment will prevent any lasting effects and you'll be back to normal soon :)

First sentence only.
You've noticed that mods are able to edit comments of posters. There is nothing to prevent LRM, Shark or any of the others of our team to adding within this comment. The "proposal" or "illustration" which I offered could be built upon in such a way.
What LRM indicated in his prior comment would put such volunteers in such a position.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Hey Chief » Thu, 11Jun02 07:30

All, I like the idea and if I can help just let me know. I do think that It should be game specific, and then maybe separate post/hidden hint for the scene specific so that it is helper and not a 100% walk through [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Hey Chief
lagoon predator

Postby LRM » Thu, 11Jun02 17:26

Hey Chief wrote:All, I like the idea and if I can help just let me know. I do think that It should be game specific, and then maybe separate post/hidden hint for the scene specific so that it is helper and not a 100% walk through [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Forgive me, I am male and often miss subtle hints. If you are volunteering to become a "Master of the Games" a PM to Shark starts the selection procedure.
Lou
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby shark » Fri, 11Jun03 08:28

Great ! Hey Chief is voluntary to be "Games Master". still another volunteer and we will be able to open the section.

Recall of how the new section will work :
When the section will be created, the "games masters" will be able to post inside whereas the other users will not able to do it. They will have to propose to them their hints or walkthroughs by pm and, if the games masters accept them ,they will post them in the section.

Here an example of what I imagine for a topic in the section:
----------------------------
Topic title : WHAKAWAI - HINTS

1st post
ON THE BOAT
Proposed by : ........
After Rebecca has kissed Ahoroa's breasts, if you click on Ahoroa, Maureen start to mass her legs and you will go towards a bad end.
Look rather for a hotspot on Rebecca.

2nd post
AT THE WATERFALL
When Ahoroa put her lips on Phil's cock, if you click on Ahoroa, Rebecca pushes her ahead and Ahoroa goes to suck phil. Ahoroa likes that and you go towards a bad end.
You must rather seek a hotspot on phil

3rd post
THE MAI-TAI
When dany proposes Ahoroa to drink a maitai, you should not click on glass.. if not Ahoroa will drink the cocktail, become drunk and accept to have sex with Phil. It's a bad end.
Seek rather another drink in the room.

----------------------------

I will give "games master" 2 tools to help them:
-The possibility of storing more PM.
-The possibility of adding attachments.
(The attachments are the possibility of downloading on the lagoon server, some files from your PC, and then to integrate them in a post. That will be useful, for example, to add sceenshots.)

Another volunteer ?
shark
Site Admin

Postby kessie8yl » Fri, 11Jun03 17:36

LRM wrote:
kessie8yl wrote:Btw I understand the points expressed by Trucia and LRM and, yes, absolutely, no full walkthrough should be published for at least a month - quite possibly longer.

It is underway I think. We need volunteers to handle what you suggest. We are pursuing a few. Interested?
Lou

Sorry guys - Wish I could but am up to my eyes with work atm .. :(
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby Graen » Fri, 11Jun03 22:37

Boo! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img] Sorry, I've been a tad bit busy and haven't been able to spend much time in these refreshingly cool waters.

I'm just going to quickly reiterate what I've said on the old forums regarding a walkthrough forum, with a few updates to my current train of thought.

● The Walkthrough Forum should be open to anyone who wants to post.
In a way this forum will take care of itself. If there is not a satisfactory solution presented, someone who thinks they can do better will post something better. Similar to how Wikipedia works. Submission of walkthroughs could either be open (my preferred method) or through PMing the forum Moderators (requires Moderators to do their jobs [img]images/icones/icon12.gif[/img])

● Damn straight, there will be rules.
Simple and easy to understand rules:
Don't create new posts asking for walkthroughs. (There could be a general stickied thread specifically made just for requests)
Keep comments about walkthroughs to their own threads.
If making a replacement walkthrough for an already existing one, it is up to the Moderator's discretion if the old one will be replaced. No Whining!

I don’t think there should be any time limit with regards to how soon a walkthrough should be posted. They are after all going in the “Walkthrough Forum” I can understand using the Spoiler Tag in the walkthroughs to hide code words, or to section off each part of a the guide, but a walkthrough should not be censored from spoiling anything about the game.

If you don’t like Spoilers, then Don’t Read the Walkthroughs Forum!

Just my 2¢. Now, back to being too damn busy…
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby shark » Fri, 11Jun03 23:42

Graen wrote:The Walkthrough Forum should be open to anyone who wants to post.

It is not the posts proposing the hints or the walkthroughs which create a problem.
It is all the questions and the request for help which will invade the new section if everyone can post
That's why I wish a forum only authorized in reading.
shark
Site Admin

Postby kessie8yl » Sat, 11Jun04 00:59

Graen wrote:Boo! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img] Sorry, I've been a tad bit busy and haven't been able to spend much time in these refreshingly cool waters.

I'm just going to quickly reiterate what I've said on the old forums regarding a walkthrough forum, with a few updates to my current train of thought.

● The Walkthrough Forum should be open to anyone who wants to post.
In a way this forum will take care of itself. If there is not a satisfactory solution presented, someone who thinks they can do better will post something better. Similar to how Wikipedia works. Submission of walkthroughs could either be open (my preferred method) or through PMing the forum Moderators (requires Moderators to do their jobs [img]images/icones/icon12.gif[/img])

● Damn straight, there will be rules.
Simple and easy to understand rules:
Don't create new posts asking for walkthroughs. (There could be a general stickied thread specifically made just for requests)
Keep comments about walkthroughs to their own threads.
If making a replacement walkthrough for an already existing one, it is up to the Moderator's discretion if the old one will be replaced. No Whining!

I don’t think there should be any time limit with regards to how soon a walkthrough should be posted. They are after all going in the “Walkthrough Forum” I can understand using the Spoiler Tag in the walkthroughs to hide code words, or to section off each part of a the guide, but a walkthrough should not be censored from spoiling anything about the game.

If you don’t like Spoilers, then Don’t Read the Walkthroughs Forum!

Just my 2¢. Now, back to being too damn busy…

I'm sure one of the more technically aware guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to emulate Wikipedia is to have a wiki-based site... Seems to be using a steamhammer to crack a walnut to me.

Shark's suggestion is sensible - find a few volunteers to oversee the page and have some sort of central mailbox people can send hints and walkthrus to. These can then be checked againsts what's already on the forum and fitted in to the apporpriate slot.

People submitting ideas will have to be very clear as to where their hint fits in the game - I don't think we can expect the volunteers to be fully paid-up members of every possible game site, able to go and play each game themselves to check the tips for accuracy. Even if they had the money, I doubt they'd have the time.
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

Postby Graen » Sat, 11Jun04 04:48

So basically... you all don't trust the Lagoon Community to regulate itself.

C'est la vie...
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby kessie8yl » Sat, 11Jun04 20:34

Graen wrote:So basically... you all don't trust the Lagoon Community to regulate itself.

C'est la vie...

I don't think it's a case of trust. Wiki is a totally different ball game from a bulletin board - You can't "wiki" here, what Shark is proposing is the next best thing.

By giving a small group of people some "ownership" of the forum it will stop it descending into the sort of free-for-all of post and counter-post under various headings that we often see on the "All sexy games" board. That's the whole point of suggesting a separate forum in the first place.

Surely you can see that it is far more helpful for anyone looking for a hint to a specific phase of a game to know there will only be one heading for that game and the hints will be in sequential order, so he/she won't have to search through countless entries?
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Shark's website