Discussion about the organisation of the forum

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: Discussion about the organisation of the forum

Postby shark » Fri, 09Jun12 16:58

interesting… even if that would represent much work.
shark
Site Admin

sex: Masculine

Postby digits » Fri, 09Jun12 17:31

[img]smile/chirol_gaan.gif[/img]
Garrgl! Rules everywhere!
Take care not to turn the beautiful lagoon to a highly restricted marina. [img]smile/chirolp_nemui.gif[/img] ;)

Why not a forum "pillory" (gentle, kind of "bonnet d'âne" one) section?
Admin and mods could transfer there any topic created obviously without even reading posts of past days/weeks/months?
It would give the author a chance to correct himself, and ease the work of moderators: no need to think about the proper answer, or search for previous topics.
digits
lagoon predator

Postby GG » Mon, 09Jun15 15:49

LRM wrote :
and perhaps a small punishment for any member hijacking someone else's thread...

You are just asking for the whip! Look what the topic of this thread is [img]images/icones/icon10.gif[/img]
GG
sirens hunter

Postby luke » Tue, 09Jun23 02:23

@shark

(sorry for non-french people, but it's too hard to translate)

J'ai jeté un coup d'oeil au forum d'aceboard (ils en ont un, si, si), et c'est vrai que les possibilités techniques semblent un peu limitées. J'ai déjà eu l'occasion de parcourir des forum utilisant la "technologie" PHPBB, et je trouve ça plus sympa : possibilité de créer des sous-catégories, fonction de recherche plus élaborées... et c'est pas les sites qui manquent pour t'héberger ça gratos. Un des points que j'avais noté dans les propositions, c'était d'interdire la création d'une discussion en dessous d'un certain nombre de messages. Je trouve cela très intéressant car ça permettrait de limiter les "pollueurs", ceux qui veulent une réponse pour les débloquer tout de suite, et qui, par définition, sont trop pressés pour chercher et lire. Visiblement, ça existe pas dans aceboard. Je vais fouiller un peu dans les forum phpbb pour voir si c'est faisable.
Et en ce qui concerne le transfert du forum ailleurs, en lisant un peu les discussions sur le forum aceboard, j'ai cru comprendre qu'en tant qu'admin, tu pouvais récupérer ta base de données. Là encore, je vais fouiller un peu pour voir les possibilités de recharger cette base dans un forum phpbb.
Je te tiendrais au courant de l'état de mes recherches.
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

Postby shark » Tue, 09Jun23 02:34

Merci pour ton aide.
Je t'avoue que, même si la possibilité d'un transfert m'a déjà effleuré l'esprit, ca me fout quand même la trouille...
shark
Site Admin

Postby qbv8 » Tue, 09Jun23 02:46

Great news, luke! This really sounds promising.

Shark, I am sure, if you would need help for the transfer of the forum, there are enough lagooners here that are technically capable and willing to help in the migration of the forum. If there do not exist migration tools yet, I am sure some of us could write some perl scrïpts that extract the data properly from one database and transfer it into the other.

Shark, you are not alone!

I have just discovered this discussion on aceboard. As it is in french, I am not sure that I really understood it correctly, but it seems to me that the aceboard software is not maintained anymore. And this seems like a risk for the lagoon. So better change as long as everything still works somehow, than having to change after a disaster when nobody is responsible for technical maintenance.

The statistics of our forum says, we currently have a total number of 15751 messages and 6029 users. This does not really sound too much, it can be handled.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Tue, 09Jun23 11:18

Shark writes: I admire the patience of Arnulf which moves the threads when they are badly placed ...
Well, as the content of this thread has nothing to do with the title (except for the first question which was very helpful, as it led us to new ideas and efforts), I suggest to change the title of this thread to something more specific e.g. "Discussion on the organisation of the lagoon" or something more appropriate to not drive the newbies mad that are in search for "How to shave Wendy" or the like.
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby luke » Tue, 09Jun23 15:14

@qbv8
You understand well the discussion : aceboard isn't maintain any more.
And for the title of this thread, it's done.
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

Postby qbv8 » Tue, 09Jun23 15:23

[img]smile/thumb.gif[/img]Thanks!

And regarding aceboard: well, it seems we have to do something about it, right?
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Wed, 09Jun24 05:39

qbv8,
Seems my password was corrupted, but more to the relocation of the forum.

I note that Shark did indicate that he was concerned about losing followers. That really shouldn't be an issue, should it?

I actually have bookmarked the "Sharks-lagoon.fr" and the Forum separately so I have an option. All that is needed to placate Shark is to relocate the forum and when the transfer is complete just redirect from "The Lagoon".

I for one would welcome the change, particularly if aceboard is not supporting.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby LRM » Wed, 09Jun24 07:07

I'm a member here:
ArboristSite: http://www.arboristsite.com/

I think it is a very good example of what is available. Feel free to look around and feel out the board, as a visitor I don't think you can see all the board offers.

We discuss everything chainsaw, tree, etc.
I don't know the cost for this site but I find the structure easy to follow. You can make make multiple quotes within a reply. A referenced quote can be read by clicking the reference. The members list is easy to understand. I could have sent this as a PM to multiple members all at the same time. The search function searches all forums with one inquiry.
Newbies still ask the same question without doing any research (What chainsaw should I buy?). I did it myself.
L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby TrenchCart » Wed, 09Jun24 08:10

LRM, vBulletin boards are, in my opinion, the best ones out there.

It's not free however.
Still, it's the best forum software out there... ;)

http://www.vbulletin.com/
TrenchCart
great white shark

Postby qbv8 » Wed, 09Jun24 09:37

Information on vBulletin
The commercial product vBulletin is supported by the Californian company Internet brands. vBulletin is based on PHP, has a mysql database in the background and supports all the standard BB codes. The actual version is vBulletin 3.8.3, released just two weeks ago, and the next version will be 4.0. It has full software support, extensive documentation (freely accessible at www.vbulletin.com/docs) and makes a good overall impression.

Summary of the license page
One license is defined as 1 installation for 1 website on 1 server.

The company offers a leased license for US$ 100 per year, or an "owned" license for US$ 180 (about 128 Euro today).

The support service claims to answer questions within 4 hours (see ticket system at the bottom of the page).

The owned license includes software update service for one year which can be extended after that time for US$ 40 per year.

And they also offer Professional Installation for US$ 150 (of course, this does not include data transfer from aceboard).
qbv8
star of the reef

Postby shark » Wed, 09Jun24 17:51

I do not know if the server of the lagoon (the website) is sufficiently powerful to also host the forum
The best, with aceboard, is that the forum is hosted on the aceboard server and that can be very useful when the website is broken down.
I think it would be interesting to find a new forum completely independent of the website
shark
Site Admin

Postby digits » Wed, 09Jun24 18:28

I agree phpbb3 forums seem way better from the user's perspective. On the other hand, the aceboard way restricts the administrative tasks to the minimum. This means more time for polishing the games.
Besides, the database's transfer appear to be a difficult task, partly due to uncooperative attitude of Aceboard's crew.
I'm confident Shark will find some helpers among the Sharkies, but it's quite a big jump anyway. [img]kator/smiley203.gif[/img]
I've no experience in this whatsoever, but OVH offers might be worth a look.
digits
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Shark's website