the forum is back

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: the forum is back

Postby shark » Thu, 10Jul08 23:01

I have not control of the database in the new forum.
I think that if we decide to start a migration, best would be than I take a new server for host a new phpbb forum.
shark
Site Admin

sex: Masculine

Postby SquallLion » Sat, 10Jul10 01:36

c'est incroyable!

tu n'as pas accès à la bdd SQL![img]smile/eek.gif[/img]
mais que fait la police ?
SquallLion
star of the reef

Postby Graen » Sat, 10Jul10 01:55

Does sharks-lagoon.fr not have php and MySQL support? If it does, why don't you just run everything off the one server?
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby shark » Sat, 10Jul10 02:03

because I think that the server will not support the number of request on the website and the forum together.
shark
Site Admin

Postby Graen » Sat, 10Jul10 02:09

shark wrote : because I think that the server will not support the number of request on the website and the forum together.

Do you have the numbers from your server provider regarding max data transfers? Per connection and monthly limits? EDIT: And how much of it you're currently using.

And will aceboard give you stats for the current forum as well?
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby Trucla » Sat, 10Jul10 02:31

Graen wrote :
Do you have the numbers from your server provider regarding max data transfers? Per connection and monthly limits? EDIT: And how much of it you're currently using.

And will aceboard give you stats for the current forum as well?
The problem is not only the space and bandwidth. You must be also aware of the charge on the server. Most of them are shared by 8 or more users (domains or subdomains) which overcharge the CPU. I've already seen sites being closed because of this, and some being forced to buy space on dedicated servers.

Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Sat, 10Jul10 02:41

It may be that, given the likely space and bandwidth requirements of the site and forum, some amongst us might be able to advise and/or help find a suitable server. My son has a very good deal on his server, but that is because of his connections with the people behind the company in question - maybe there are others who could get shark a good deal.
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Graen » Sat, 10Jul10 03:01

Okay, if Shark has his hosting, where I think he does (www.imingo.net) even with the minimal plan, It looks like he should be covered to run phpbb.

For reference, these are the specs I'm looking at. Again, I'm not positive this is his hosting provider, but I believe it is.
In the original French
In English

The only possible major problems I foresee are the 250MB limit on the php database, and the 100,000 queries per day with the minimal plan. I don't know how much the current database takes up, sometimes 250MB is a lot, sometimes it's not. And I don't know how much traffic the current forums take in a day. Shark's site itself seems to pull in around 18,000 people a day.

If he's using the minimal plan with only 1 domain name, the forums would probably have to be at sharks-lagoon.fr/forums. If he has a better plan, then he could probably get away with a sub domain such as forums.sharks-lagoon.fr.
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Sat, 10Jul10 17:04

I don't know whether I'm being daft, but doesn't http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/sharks-lagoon.fr indicate he uses GANDI DEDICATED HOSTING SERVERS from www.Gandi.net for the main site, with http://www.websitetrafficspy.com/sharks-lagoon.fr indicating site traffic for recent times.

Similarly, http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/shar ... ceboard.fr shows the lagoon aceboard server as obtained from Cvh Systems (a good priced, reliable setup) and traffic is indicated at http://www.websitetrafficspy.com/sharks ... ceboard.fr

My apologies if you consider any of this information sensitive, shark - please delete it if you object to my posting it.
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 10Jul11 04:05

Greebo, I doubt that Shark would have grounds to object, you are merely putting in the open that which is publicly available anyway. If I was still running CA (Computer Associates) Anti Virus it notifies details like owner, etc which we never see unless we a "whois" trace or similar.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Squeeky » Mon, 10Jul12 11:26

I don't know where this fits exactly within our dilemma but this link, which I've just found:
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/php ... phpbb3.htm

and possibly the rest of the tutorial may prove of value. The particular link indicates the ability to carry across all phpbb2 and convert it to phpbb3.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby LordRamiro » Mon, 10Jul12 20:55

Gratz Shark !!!!
good to see those old stones back in their place ;)
LordRamiro
great white shark

Postby TheBrain » Thu, 10Jul15 08:29

shark wrote : If someone has good knowledge about scrïpts (and understands French) I think this link is interesting :
http://acepompe.free.fr/

If you want to migrate to a phpbb forum (where you have manual access to the database) you can use this to crawl the entire forum on aceboard, which will create a large amount of queries which you can then execute on your phpbb database.
As long as you don't have access to the database on aceboard, crawling like this is the only option to retrieve the data.

As a word of caution though, judging from the pageviews there are a couple of threads that get a couple of thousand views a day (the virtual date girls thread is one of them, even on average it is well over 2k views a day since the start of the thread). From there you could easily estimate that the total amount of requests will be in the tens of thousands, if not hundreds. You shouldn't underestimate the load this puts on a server.

On a second note, your current aceboard forum is popular with google, when searching for stuff mentioned here it is not uncommon for the thread I came from to be close to the top result (for example, 'virtual date girls' will be the 3rd result after chaotics sites). While it's hard to say without more precise data, I would assume that a lot of the popularity of this forum has to do with it popping up highly in google. If you migrate you basically throw away this google rank and start from scratch, I suppose that's worth keeping in mind.
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Thu, 10Jul15 14:02

TheBrain wrote :
...I would assume that a lot of the popularity of this forum has to do with it popping up highly in google. If you migrate you basically throw away this google rank and start from scratch, I suppose that's worth keeping in mind.

Some might say, shark not least among them, that this could be a good thing because it might reduce the amount of pilot fish out of tune with the ambiance of the Lagoon for a while. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby TheBrain » Fri, 10Jul16 07:30

Greebo wrote :
Some might say, shark not least among them, that this could be a good thing because it might reduce the amount of pilot fish out of tune with the ambiance of the Lagoon for a while. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

Similarly it's also the pilot fish that keep the population of the lagoon intact, we were all 'new' here once.
I know you're probably not completely serious, but for example: just judging from phreaky's latest thread in the sexy games forum, I count 9 pilot fish (out of maybe 40 people total?). And of those posts I would say at least half are positive (i.e. not "help/walkthrough plx").
TheBrain
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to Shark's website