the forum is back

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: the forum is back

Postby shark » Wed, 10Jul07 20:08

It is always pleasant to be back home… But I think that this adventure is a warning…. It is necessary to think seriously about a migration…
shark
Site Admin

sex: Masculine

Postby Greebo » Wed, 10Jul07 20:16

As I said in the new place:

"Well, well, well, as the BP drilling rig operator said on a platform in the Mexican Gulf just before the explosion, that must mean we're back to business as usual!

Might be an idea to bite the bullet and carry on with the new forum - or should we try nurturing the new while using the old and trying to find ways of saving bits of the old?

Is there any way of contacting whoever owns Aceboard and finding out what their intentions are?"

I think I'll go and have a lie down on the sunny side of the reef - wake me if I disappear, please somebody?
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby shark » Wed, 10Jul07 20:21

some month ago, Craban had succeeded in recovering almost all the data of the forum to transfer them towards a phpbb forum. therefore, it is possible ..
shark
Site Admin

Postby LRM » Wed, 10Jul07 21:20

I suggest a slow migration to the new board. I fear the sudden disappearance will occur again without warning and perhaps permanently.
A search function (new site) that actually functions is only one advantage.
New Forum
http://sharks-lagoon.space-forums.com/
L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Graen » Wed, 10Jul07 23:07

I'd wait to hear aceboard's official reply, but yeah, the more you can have control of yourself shark, the better.
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby cheese101 » Wed, 10Jul07 23:33

i think saving most of the old posts is good(get rid of all spam posts or pointless posts(by pointless I mean multiple topics of the same game))
However moving to a new forum where shark has more control is the best thing to do,just try and bring the important ones with it
cheese101
star of the reef

Postby Flabronco » Thu, 10Jul08 01:25

Thanks for getting the forum back on line. I was afraid it would be a lot longer. Good job to you and your staff, Shark.
Flabronco
sirens hunter

Postby Sexychild68 » Thu, 10Jul08 04:12

a migration might not be a bad idea....i wouldn't have a problem with it...if we stay here we need someone to have a back up of the board just in case something like this happens again...i'll go where ever Shark takes the Lagoon...i like the Lagoon and the people here to much to abandon it...
Sexychild68
legend of the South Seas

Postby LRM » Thu, 10Jul08 05:16

Luke already offered to help with the move. I need some training but am willing to help. IMO one or 2 new posts a day should be moved to the new site and the thread here locked. Soon all active threads are on the new site.
L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby SquallLion » Thu, 10Jul08 06:03

you should migrate
mais que fait la police ?
SquallLion
star of the reef

Postby Drengest » Thu, 10Jul08 06:07

I've been lurking here for quite a while (a couple years) and have a fair bit of experience with phpbb3. I've been running a private phpbb3 board(with integrated Gallery2 for Image archival) for a couple years (on a server at my home... ftth ftw) and would be happy to help if you decide to go that route.

Great site!
Drengest
Pilot fish

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 10Jul08 08:22

Shark has indicated that Craban has apparently shown to him that the database(s) can be relocated.

Shark's major concern is having to learn the respective settings to customise the new location to suit.

Documentation @ http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/
could well be of benefit to all of us even if we are unable to place the software (along with a compatible database) on some webserver.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby shark » Thu, 10Jul08 10:59

If someone has good knowledge about scrïpts (and understands French) I think this link is interesting :
http://acepompe.free.fr/
shark
Site Admin

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 10Jul08 11:21

Shark, what database is used at the new location, MySql?

I have DL both phpBB and MySql with the view to experiment. Looking at the MySql size however I'm unsure if my ISP site has enough space. Then too, if that is not your configuration it may be pointless that I try.

The document at the link which Shark provides directly above here translates to English quite well using Google's on-line translator (there are some oddities but readily interpreted).

Without having only glanced at it whilst translating and copying to MS Word I gather the document refers to a utility which converts the data files held at Aceboard into the format required for phpBB, the style required for the new forum.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Trucla » Thu, 10Jul08 19:17

Hi!

Forum migration, yes! To phpBB, yes! But... Shark, first of all make sure that you have a proper control panel for your subdomain, with full access to your database. Otherwise we could fall (again) on another situation like this last one, and these things always leave marks...

I've followed the link to acepomp, and provided the scrïpts do what they claim to do (and Craban is not available) I would be only too happy giving it a try. If you are so inclined just PM me for details.

Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Next

Return to Shark's website