PREPARATION OF THE MIGRATION

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: PREPARATION OF THE MIGRATION

Postby shark » Fri, 10Aug06 00:23

Trucla is currently working on the migration of the forum into a new phpBB forum.(if you have knowledge of phpBB, don't hesitate to propose your assistance to him)

Unfortunately, the PMs will not be recovered on the new forum. (we will have to abandon them in the old lagoon ... with a little food and some matches to make fire of course)
Image Image

If you have important PMs, think of copying them...
shark
Site Admin

sex: Masculine

Postby luke » Fri, 10Aug06 15:51

Don't forget to lock all sections just before the extraction from aceboard if you really want to migrate ALL messages
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 10Aug06 15:59

I have the feeling that a lot of that has happened. I understand that "locking" would mean that from a certain date/time nothing could be added and therefore no need to be retrieved but I think from Shark's comment that process is ongoing. Whether that process has begun from the oldest date on record (?) ?

If that is where Trucla was able to begin and work through to what we are currently posting, then so much for what I believe Shark would desire. Locking threads already captured would prevent current input before any migration whether it be tomorrow or 12 months time.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Trucla » Fri, 10Aug06 17:26

@Luke and @Squeeky: Thanks for concern but according to what I've read the forums must be open when read by acepompe.

On the other hand the scrïpt reads the forum (all sections) each time it runs. So it's not possible to preserve posts or members that were caught in the last time it ran. In other words, there is no .

When time arrives for the "real" migration what we need is a message on the index page asking people to stop posting here. Otherwise there is a strong chance that they are not "fished". One thing that I think could be done at that moment is suspending the inscrïption of new members.

In a couple of days I'll publish a list of important differences already noted in the results of the migration test.

Thanks!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Aug10 04:45

Hi!

As promised I start publishing some differences/limitations in the future migration:

1.- I already had almost 3 following days when I wasn't able to pick a decent backup (bigger than the previous one) of the aceboard forum. I hope this doesn't happen when I do it for real, but you'll have to be prepared and patient.

2.- Besides the possibility of the precedent, I estimate about 1 day for doing a lot of needed manual adjustments. Once again please be patient and use the new lagoon (space-forums) for putting out your steam! Believe me that nobody wants more this to be completed than myself.

3.- It revealed impossible importing the backup in bbcode mode, as it always got frozen each time at different points, the best I've managed was about 15 percent of the puppy. So the copy will be in html mode. This means that some posts may look a bit weird. Solution? Well a bit of work of the original posters, re-applying the bbcodes.

4.- A few posts (less than it looks like, because deleted - by admin, moderators or issuers - posts are counted in aceboard and as far as I've seen there is no way to update the figure shown) will be lost by reasons behind my knowledge and control. I don't figure out a solution for this, sorry. Besides the deleted posts I suspect (not sure though) that "posts" in PMs also count for the figure shown in aceboard.

5.- Members not having posted will not be recovered.

For the moment it's all. If something else comes up I'll let you know within this topic.

Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Graen » Tue, 10Aug10 06:11

What's to prevent people from stealing other members IDs? Or have you found a way to preserve passwords during the migration?
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Aug10 06:31

The passwords are not migrated. But emails are. So what will happen is that on the first time an old member is going to login he/she will state that the password is forgotten. Then the system will send instructions to the email address of the member.

That's the only way. This because the scrïpt has no access to the aceboard database and the passwords are encrypted in the database.

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Graen » Tue, 10Aug10 06:41

So before the migration, everyone will have to update their e-mail, and make them public? Or can they keep their e-mail information hidden?
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby RoRi » Tue, 10Aug10 13:04

as far as I understood you can keep your e-mail adress hidden
RoRi
great white shark

Postby Greebo » Tue, 10Aug10 14:06

Is there no way of write protecting the present Forum for anyone but Admin during the migration?
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby TheBrain » Tue, 10Aug10 16:59

Trucla wrote :
1.- I already had almost 3 following days when I wasn't able to pick a decent backup (bigger than the previous one) of the aceboard forum. I hope this doesn't happen when I do it for real, but you'll have to be prepared and patient.

Do you run the scrïpt on a high bandwidth host? (preferably 100 mbit, the more the better, basically)
Because if you can't resume, or recover from failure (presumably connection failure of some sort would be the most likely cause), then speed and stability is the key to doing a complete recovery.

Of course, adapting the scrïpt to be able to resume would be the better option... If you can get the scrïpt to me I wouldn't mind checking to see if this is easily doable (and if so, actually do it, of course :P).
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Aug10 18:33

@RoRi: It's true, but it's readable by admins.

@Greebo: No, my friend! It should be open!

@TheBrain: I've a 100Mbit connection. For the scrïpt, take a look at:
Code: Select all
http://martial1000fzr.free.fr/acepompe_V0.3.rar

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Aug10 18:39

Sorry Graen! :(

I hadn't seen your post! Age problems, I think! ;)

No you do nothing as admins can see your email even if it's hidden. What they can't is seeing your password... :crazy:

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Tue, 10Aug10 20:01

Trucla wrote : @Greebo: No, my friend! It should be open!

I just thought that capture could be done if it was read only, but no one unauthorised could change the contents during the process.

I'd have thought it would have been easy to set permissions suitably, but then my knowledge of these things is rudimentary - I usually get my son to do operations of that sort when he's not busy with robotics dissertations and the like
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Aug10 21:37

Greebo, during my "adventure" I've read tons of posts in forums, and this is something I read (and memorized), coming in a post issued by the modifier of the original acepompe. So I don't want even try doing it other way.

Cheers!
Trucla
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Next

Return to Shark's website