Help page reorganization

You want to speak about the site or downright to participate in its realization? All the ideas and the notices are welcome …

Re: Help page reorganization

Postby Newdood » Fri, 11Jan14 17:45

There has been some talk recently about doing some things to reduce the number of help requests when a new game is released.

Shark [img]kator/smiley57.gif[/img] Image has even (GASP!!) suggested that he might make the games easier to avoid the scene.

Personally, I'd hate to see the games get "dumbed down" to make them more accessible to those who want the answers handed to them. To help avoid that scenario, it's worth it to me to put in some effort to help make the help page flow more smoothly. I hope we can set things up so that we get fewer repeated requests in a string that grows so long that we can't reasonably expect anybody to read through it.

I have some suggestions about how the help pages might be reorganized towards this end. I'll write them out as I find time and present them here, but I'd like to hear suggestions from other Lagooners who might have some helpful input.
When it comes to binary, there are 10 kinds of people - those who get and those who don't!
Newdood
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Graen » Sat, 11Jan15 01:21

I actually like the discussion for each game. I think it provides valuable feedback for the authors as well as strengthens and grows the Lagoon Community.

One thing I would like to see, is a new forum section, dedicated to walkthroughs, with very strict rules. And perhaps even a reorganization of the forums.

For the Walkthrough Forum, People would only be allowed to create a new thread for a Walkthrough/Videothrough that they themselves created. That way they would have the first post, and be able to edit their data as they see fit. Any other posts in that thread would be dedicated to talking just about the walkthrough. Another thing this does, is moves all the discussion about solving games to its own forum, where spoilers & cheats can be expected to be seen, thus there should be fewer complaints about spoiling the game, in the other forums. The problem I see with this, is that the forum will be dependent upon the community to write/produce these walkthroughs.

While this won't stop the initial flood of help requests for a specific game, once a walkthrough is created, people can go to the new section and find their answers, while leaving the game discussion thread open for actual commentary about the game and its merits.

If this new section were added, I would probably want to reorganize the main forum page a bit also, to look something like this:

Welcome
[*]Introductions
Hot and Entertaining
[*]Shark's Website
[*]Sexy Girls
[*]The Beach
Game Discussions
[*]Shark's Games
[*]Other Sexy Games
[*]Walkthroughs & Solutions
Game Creators
[*]RAG Games
[*]Projects

At least... that's how I would do it. :p
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby shark » Sat, 11Jan15 02:00

Hmmm....interesting !
shark
Site Admin

Postby Newdood » Sat, 11Jan15 02:36

Perhaps the "game discussions" heading could also have sections for contributions (like the photoshoot) and/or the Priv-Box

Under "Sharks games" I would like to try having two threads for each game.

The first thread for each game would be for Frequently Asked Questions. This thread would be written by moderators (and "assistants" if possible) only so it's size and growth are controlled. It can be developed while the game is in the Priv-Box.

The second thread for each game would be the open discussion we have now, but instead of answering the same questions over and over, we could refer people to the FAQ thread.

This will (I hope) have the effect of controlling the growth of the "help" thread, so that we can realistically expect people to read through it before they ask a new question
When it comes to binary, there are 10 kinds of people - those who get and those who don't!
Newdood
star of the reef

Postby LRM » Sat, 11Jan15 03:58

Dood
I like the way you think but the "I'm Stuck" thread was an attempt at this. The little beggars do not read!!! A link to an answer for a frequently asked question (singular - you will need multiples for each game) I think will work. The way AceBoard is constructed you need a different thread for each answer. If possible make the help thread subordinate to it's own game thread (The little @#$&^* will not need to look to far to find the help thread).
A general Shark play thread with several suggestions (Luke's descrïption of continued action after an initial click is brilliant!) for generalized play is also a good idea IMO. Or solve all this horse crap and move away from AceBoard!!!

Graen
I also like your reorganization. Add a Staff topic in Welcome Please.

Squeeky
I fear if the hint is not locked some "young going to prove my game prowess" gamer will ruin it. Lock additions to the help thread to all but mods. If needed add a help discusion thread that is open to all.

L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Graen » Sat, 11Jan15 04:25

LRM
Could you please clarify what you mean by adding a "Staff Topic?" There is already a thread introducing the various staff members in the Introductions forum.

Unless you mean for a forum for only the staff members to post and see. In which case, I think it would be hidden from the regular users anyway.

Newdood
I have to agree with LRM having two threads in the same forum for one game is a bit redundant. That's why I segregated the Walkthrough threads to their own forum, like the current Doctor Shark's Consultations forum is now. In fact, I see the Walkthrough forum as an extension/evolution of the DSC forum but with a more controlled set of rules/moderation and covering all games, not just Shark's.
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby Trucla » Sat, 11Jan15 04:26

Whether we like to admit it or not, one of the main reasons for the mess reported by Newdood is the bad (I would say non-existent) system of search of aceboard. Of course there are people who ask for a walkthrough two or three days after a game comes out. And in my opinion these people should be first taught and then banned if they repeat the "funny game".

About the organisation of the forum, I must say, in general, I would propose something different from Graen's suggestion:

1. I agree with the two first categories (Welcome and Hot and Entertaining)

2. Then I would have just one more category:

Games Discussions

[*]Shark's Games
[*]Other Sex Games
[*] Flash Games
[*] HTML Games
[*] RAGS Games
[*] TADS Games
[*] Adrift Games
[*] Other Games
[*] Games Creators (Projects)
[*]Walkthroughs and Solutions

If aceboard doesn't accept subforums (Flash Games, HTML games, etc.), these would be the forums, disappearing the "Other Sex Games".

Furthermore I would like to say that I've liked Newdood's idea about the FAQs that should be pinned for being useful.

These are my two cents for the discussion.

Cheers!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby sinthoras » Sat, 11Jan15 04:32

Referring to the first post: Please don't make the games easier shark! I really don't want to end with another Meet'n'Fuck game ;)

I love your games just like they are!
sinthoras
great white shark

Postby LRM » Sat, 11Jan15 04:37

I request the ladies chime in here. Please step up, we solicit your opinion. DiTo; Raelee; Ehlanna and countless other Ladies. I would like Cloé's thoughts too but those are very long odds.

This is what I visualize
Forum Index/Game Discussions/Shark's Games/HA4
with a sub directory
Forum Index/Game Discussions/Shark's Games/HA4/HA4 Help

Graen
As long as your "Introductions" includes "Staff" I am content.

Trucla's
Modifications deserve thought also. I agree there need be a consequence for the same fish screaming "HELP" every time the scene changes also.
L
The majority of this entire thread is pointless if we move to a modern board. Somewhere you can cite a single post and any remora can perform a meaningful search negate the need for individual help threads.
In a shiny new board:
Perhaps Shark's announcement of a new game locked to input with active links to where you can play or download and a second link to a separate discussion thread.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 11Jan15 04:54

For some degree of convenience/acknowledgment may I be begin here , and then you consider discussions down to this comment.

Discussion of most of these points has been occurring "behind closed doors" and what you are seeing is an indication of how our thoughts have been running. There have been questions raised, some not unlike those presented here.

I do welcome Newdood's initiative to seek membership input.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Trucla » Sat, 11Jan15 05:12

@LRM: I'm feeling like Graen about your "Staff" stuff... :crazy: What do you mean by that, my dear?
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby LRM » Sat, 11Jan15 05:30

Squeeky
How did you do that? Single entry cite? I tried to copy and failed. I see no where to find the final numbers and the way I am doing it is a PITA.

Trucla
LRM wrote :
Graen
As long as your "Introductions" includes "Staff" I am content.

Edited to remove content not related to the question.

L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 11Jan15 05:36

Trucla wrote : @LRM: I'm feeling like Graen about your "Staff" ......

Mmm??
Yeah??
I did decide to dismiss that as I read.

I know that LRM at one point nominated himself as an unofficial "welcoming committee".

That is not a prescrïptive role I'd like applied to Shark or any moderator. Anybody up to be an official welcomer, no special privileges given.

Er? Official Welcome?
I'm at a loss at to what happens on registration. I'm certain though that Aceboard will not be capable of generating a message of welcome on a person's first posting.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby LRM » Sat, 11Jan15 05:47

Squeeky wrote :
I know that LRM at one point nominated himself as an unofficial "welcoming committee".

That is not a prescrïptive role I'd like applied to Shark or any moderator. Anybody up to be an official welcomer, no special privileges given.

edited to remove what does not apply to my answer.

It need not be me. I just think it a nice thing when someone acknowledge a newbies existence. I rarely comment provided someone else has.
L
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby LRM » Sat, 11Jan15 05:55

I nominate DiTo
She will have them gutted and hung out as bait. [img]kator/lool.gif[/img]
Most that do post in welcome do not demonstrate errant behavior.

Why do we not let it alone. If no one else says welcome I will.
Make me the "Official no one said hello Greeter"
L
Got Wood?
LRM

Next

Return to Shark's website