Club Velvet Rose LOP Gold

These games are not complete and/or can be totally or partially reserved for paying members. Open a thread in this section is reserved for active members, read the rules before submit a game.

Re: Club Velvet Rose LOP Gold

Postby FacelessOne » Sun, 17Feb05 17:06

TheGreatJoeGargery wrote:Much text...
You do have a point though. I have a feeling that James is an unreliable narrator and is leaving some things out of both the intro and the endings to make himself look better in them. This becomes painfully obvious in Ending 1, especially after going through the scene multiple times and getting the silver stars which shows exactly how Veronica feels about her new lover. James claims that the club saves their marriage but that is only because they have no reason to fight anymore since Veronica has found a way to meet her needs without James. She no longer requires James to meet her needs so there is no longer any more need for her to nag him. Deep down James knows this but spins it in a way that omits those details.

Going into the club I think Veronica's exact reasons are that she is unsatisfied with James sexually (and probably emotionally as well). I also think you're right that Veronica is just looking for an excuse to cheat. She does have all the signs of someone who is about to cheat but honestly she wouldn't be at the club if she was cheating already because she would just be out cheating. You are defiantly right that cheating is on her mind and that is why they are at the club, but she does put some rules in place and except for one circumstance she follows them (which I'll talk about in a spoiler tag). The rules are designed to try to get what she wants in a way where James can also get what he wants. It may not work out that way in reality but that is the intent. In the Ending 1 path she finds exactly what she is looking for yet still follows the rules to get it and doesn't pursue it if the character says no. She is the one trying to do this in a way where neither of them get hurt. James is the one running around the club only concerned about getting his own rocks off. His selfishness is probably a large part of the reason they are having marriage problems (which he also conveniently left out of the intro).

In regards to Veronica allowing Che to have sex with her when she is with Zara, I think Che is a guy that has talked his way into a lot of married woman's pants, drunk or not. Veronica needs a LOT of encouragement to have sex with him when you want her to, so I think it was more his seduction abilities that he puts into use when you're not around to stop him rather than her wanting to have sex with him from the start is what causes that incident as well as what happens to her in the final sex scenes if you go looking for her on the path that leads to Endings 4, 5 and 6.

In short, I think you are completely right about Veronica coming to the club wanting to legitimize her desire to be unfaithful. My only disagreement is that this makes her a bitch. She, unlike James, has done everything possible to try to make sure her partner doesn't get hurt by this experience. What they didn't account for is that the club is a Gothic setting. The location itself is full of dangers for the couple and their relationship and this danger is masked from James and Veronica until it is too late. The player may become aware of this danger and is left to guide James through this setting and has to do it making decisions that James would make with the information he has (and without the information he chooses to ignore). James is so blinded by the possibilities of this environment that he is oblivious to the dangers. That is what I like about this game and what I would like to see more of in an expansion.

In regards to the blond Russian women, I think someone at LOP has a crush on a Blond Russian woman.

Mhmm... I think James and Veronica are typical "Millenials". Generation "ME ME ME".
To blame all on him would be very "feminist" but I'am not saying that he is completely innocent. It takes 2 to tango!

How is it these days? She cheats and it is his fault = Parenteral therapy. If he cheats it is his fault = divorce.
And well, yeah I just summed up LwS, HWT and Divided Heart... :lol:

Maybe i interpret to much of the current facist movement (the socalled "left") into it but well... I'am an old fart. :lol:
It's just that i play games from LOP or Chaotic for a bit of peace - don't want any propaganda in it. That's why i don't like LwS for example.
"Every time you put a modifier in front of a term that is inherently good, you turn it into a perversion of itself."
- Ben Shapiro
FacelessOne
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Sun, 17Feb05 18:36

FacelessOne wrote:
TheGreatJoeGargery wrote:Much text...
You do have a point though. I have a feeling that James is an unreliable narrator and is leaving some things out of both the intro and the endings to make himself look better in them. This becomes painfully obvious in Ending 1, especially after going through the scene multiple times and getting the silver stars which shows exactly how Veronica feels about her new lover. James claims that the club saves their marriage but that is only because they have no reason to fight anymore since Veronica has found a way to meet her needs without James. She no longer requires James to meet her needs so there is no longer any more need for her to nag him. Deep down James knows this but spins it in a way that omits those details.

Going into the club I think Veronica's exact reasons are that she is unsatisfied with James sexually (and probably emotionally as well). I also think you're right that Veronica is just looking for an excuse to cheat. She does have all the signs of someone who is about to cheat but honestly she wouldn't be at the club if she was cheating already because she would just be out cheating. You are defiantly right that cheating is on her mind and that is why they are at the club, but she does put some rules in place and except for one circumstance she follows them (which I'll talk about in a spoiler tag). The rules are designed to try to get what she wants in a way where James can also get what he wants. It may not work out that way in reality but that is the intent. In the Ending 1 path she finds exactly what she is looking for yet still follows the rules to get it and doesn't pursue it if the character says no. She is the one trying to do this in a way where neither of them get hurt. James is the one running around the club only concerned about getting his own rocks off. His selfishness is probably a large part of the reason they are having marriage problems (which he also conveniently left out of the intro).

In regards to Veronica allowing Che to have sex with her when she is with Zara, I think Che is a guy that has talked his way into a lot of married woman's pants, drunk or not. Veronica needs a LOT of encouragement to have sex with him when you want her to, so I think it was more his seduction abilities that he puts into use when you're not around to stop him rather than her wanting to have sex with him from the start is what causes that incident as well as what happens to her in the final sex scenes if you go looking for her on the path that leads to Endings 4, 5 and 6.

In short, I think you are completely right about Veronica coming to the club wanting to legitimize her desire to be unfaithful. My only disagreement is that this makes her a bitch. She, unlike James, has done everything possible to try to make sure her partner doesn't get hurt by this experience. What they didn't account for is that the club is a Gothic setting. The location itself is full of dangers for the couple and their relationship and this danger is masked from James and Veronica until it is too late. The player may become aware of this danger and is left to guide James through this setting and has to do it making decisions that James would make with the information he has (and without the information he chooses to ignore). James is so blinded by the possibilities of this environment that he is oblivious to the dangers. That is what I like about this game and what I would like to see more of in an expansion.

In regards to the blond Russian women, I think someone at LOP has a crush on a Blond Russian woman.

Mhmm... I think James and Veronica are typical "Millenials". Generation "ME ME ME".
To blame all on him would be very "feminist" but I'am not saying that he is completely innocent. It takes 2 to tango!

How is it these days? She cheats and it is his fault = Parenteral therapy. If he cheats it is his fault = divorce.
And well, yeah I just summed up LwS, HWT and Divided Heart... :lol:

Maybe i interpret to much of the current facist movement (the socalled "left") into it but well... I'am an old fart. :lol:
It's just that i play games from LOP or Chaotic for a bit of peace - don't want any propaganda in it. That's why i don't like LwS for example.

I was born in the late 70's which I believe puts me in the Generation X category and I remember the baby boomers saying the same thing about our generation. The "Greatest Generation" also said the same thing about the Baby Boomers (damn hippies). if it's any consolation Aristotle wrote the same thing about the younger generation of his time as well.

Veronica isn't blameless. She wants to cheat but wants a way to justify it to herself to maintain her self image. Coming to the club in the first place was her idea when probably the best thing to do was to end the relationship outright and look for someone else. Both Veronica and James make poor decisions and continue to make poor decisions while at the club. They probably both made a poor decision when they decided to get married in the first place. Veronica keeps looking for an easy way out of the poor decisions she makes instead of making the hard choices she needs to make. She chose to come to the club to find a way around the problem of their dissolving marriage instead of making the decision herself to either end the marriage or confront James on his inadequacies (and risk hearing about her inadequacies in the process of that discussion). She is avoiding doing the hard work to fix their marriage. Instead she wants James to make those decisions but James lives in a fantasy world where everything is perfect (because he is so awesome in his fantasy world) and he ignores problems until he can't ignore them any longer and even then he will just minimize them. Veronica is frustrated with James because he won't make the decisions that she wants him to make and she lacks the assertiveness to talk to him about it or make those decisions herself. Instead she is passive aggressive about it. These characters are human characters each with their own flaws but these flaws don't inherently make them bad people. Both are being selfish in their own way and both are looking out for their own needs which people tend to do even when they claim otherwise.

Their poor decisions do provide us with some nice entertainment though, especially when they walk into a room full of people who can see right through Veronica and James' self deception. The people at the club know exactly who they are, including their flaws, and they embrace them. Natasha and Felix have no illusions about their sugar daddy relationship and don't put on a show that it is any more than that. Alex knows full well that Che is a jerk and that she is attracted to him for exactly that reason. Che likes that Alex is a challenge and isn't as easy to manipulate as most women are for him. I'm sure everyone at that club was like Veronica and James at some point and everybody seems more than happy to rip the band aid of self deception off of Veronica and James, even if it will initially hurt (or especially if it will hurt such as in Che's case).
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby muttdoggy » Mon, 17Feb06 09:14

From what I'm seeing, it seems like Club Velvet Rose could have a great game with a great premise. But I think the mistake is in how James and Veronica act. I don't think either of the two of them are honest and upfront. Either they should have been re-written or used different characters. But there's another angle.. this could have been purposely done.
James has character failures....Somebody's not gonna miss 1000 dollars, doesn't tell her if he got laid with Angelica, strikes a dubious deal with Che, reneges on deals, etc. Then Veronica.... she allows Che to essentially dominate her and take all her time away from Zara when she never let James do so and did tell James that she was uncomfortable with Che. Then she doesn't say anything to James as Che spills the beans? HUGE character problems, there too. Especially with how she seems so non-committal. Then the ending with Tyron? That's NASTY. Divorce material right there. [img]images/icones/icon6.gif[/img]
I was born in the mid 70s and I've known of swingers my whole life. I was raised around both "hippies" and "Reaganites". What I've learned is that you either start a relationship as swingers OR you end a relationship as swingers. [img]images/icones/icon18.gif[/img]
muttdoggy
lagoon predator

Postby Victor » Mon, 17Feb06 09:44

I feel pretty similar to most people in this discussion - while the premise "we are bed-bored and kinda life-bored with each other, so we go swinging" sounds okay and I can understand where this is going and like it... the execution is in a very poor taste.
I need to get my wife drunk to do some stuff. Thats kinda shady, but hey. Thats how it does actually work. And while I would prefer some other mechanic (like turning her (sexually) on or easing her in on the situation), its semi-tolerable. Not very happy about it thou.
But I really dont like the double standard. She cheats, its okay, I cheat its not. That is just unpleasant and either seems out of character, or ... its a a character that I am not really interested in. so definitely a minus here.

As far as gameplay goes - its a LOT of trial and error. It is short, makes for a lot of replayability, but its also pretty boring. for me, its a slight minus here and i vastly prefer different mechanics in games (I love LoP, Lop-G and SaG games in general)

As far as art - yep. that is a hit. Plus.

As far as girl selection - MILF, teen, russian chick and wife. Rendered well, aside from wife that I dont like and MILF, they have pretty much zero personality. That is boring. I dont need 5 pages of backstory for each, but something to remember them by would be nice. Also, on a side note - two youngest girls in there are blond and well, they are the least "personality" ones. If they would be at least more visually diversed (redhead? punker? tattoos? something else?) it would be nice and earned a plus. In the end, there is some selection, so... no minus, no plus.

Thats a slight minus, in other words, I really dont recommend subbing for this game and I hope that LoP will up their quality in their next title.
Victor
sirens hunter

Postby yoyo34 » Mon, 17Feb06 12:14

Looking at the 2017 lop lineup, I had unsubcribed. I came back after reading the enthusiastic reviews.

Although this is a polished game and the renders are really excellent, I dislike too many elements. Very short, lack of some amount of sexual close ups, trial and error. It really feels like it's time to move off flash ASAP too, the same game with unity would probably have had more poses, better animations, etc. This game doesn't have a fullscreen button too. The cast is quite limited and not very nice people too. Although I find the two couples rather realistic and believable.

Then I find some elements rather weird:
- Masks ? Never seen that before other than for fetish clubs or theme nights.
- $1000 drink ?? I don't understand what the "money management" (ahem) element of the game brings to the table.
- I don't understand how the "mood meter" is that useful either, it's only a trial and error game.

So that doesn't make for a very good game ultimately, I have no idea why some prefer it over LwT2 for example.
yoyo34
sirens hunter

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Mon, 17Feb06 17:28

muttdoggy wrote:From what I'm seeing, it seems like Club Velvet Rose could have a great game with a great premise. But I think the mistake is in how James and Veronica act. I don't think either of the two of them are honest and upfront. Either they should have been re-written or used different characters. But there's another angle.. this could have been purposely done.
James has character failures....Somebody's not gonna miss 1000 dollars, doesn't tell her if he got laid with Angelica, strikes a dubious deal with Che, reneges on deals, etc. Then Veronica.... she allows Che to essentially dominate her and take all her time away from Zara when she never let James do so and did tell James that she was uncomfortable with Che. Then she doesn't say anything to James as Che spills the beans? HUGE character problems, there too. Especially with how she seems so non-committal. Then the ending with Tyron? That's NASTY. Divorce material right there. [img]images/icones/icon6.gif[/img]
I was born in the mid 70s and I've known of swingers my whole life. I was raised around both "hippies" and "Reaganites". What I've learned is that you either start a relationship as swingers OR you end a relationship as swingers. [img]images/icones/icon18.gif[/img]

I was reading in the Lesson of Passion blog that the character flaws were intentional. Throughout the game I kind of saw James as a character like Trevor from Grand Theft Auto V, who is a character the developers put in to poke a little fun at the players. Trevor does all of the impulsive, destructive things that players do in that series of games. James is just the Trevor of the erotic dating sim world. On top of that James seems a little more confident in his seduction skills than he actually is.

The backstory of this couple is that they are having marital difficulties and that their relationship isn't healthy. The entire point of that scene where Che was to show the player that he is not the ladies man that he may think he is and that Che is the real deal when it comes to seduction. The character has the option to get upset like Veronica does if you come clean about Alex and Che (that option just ends the game) so technically you can choose to be upset or not to be upset while Veronica always chooses to be upset. Realistically though Che was banging your wife when you were trying to bang his. The only difference is that you failed while he succeeded. If you would have succeeded with Alex I'm not sure how many people would have then had such a negative attitude towards Veronica. I think it's pure genius how the game can make you feel the same way as James where Veronica ends up being blamed for James' own shortcomings. Che is the guy you usually play in games like this who can swoop in and have sex with the wife who is unhappy with her marriage. In this game you're the other guy.

There could have been a scene where the characters becoming mad about the infidelity turned into an argument but the game continued on but that was a missed opportunity. I could see Che and Veronica calming the characters down and mediating the dispute, perhaps giving them some insight. Che could have easily taken James aside and said, "You know how I got your girl? It's because I listened and figured her out. I did that by talking to her for 5 minutes. You've had years and you still haven't managed to figured it out. I can show you how if you'll let me". This could end the conflict and set up a situation where Che then coaches the player on what to do (which will ultimately backfire on the player in some way because Che is again manipulating him like he manipulates everyone because guess what, trying to manipulate your wife isn't a good idea. Neither is getting her drunk to be more adventurous).

I think what I said earlier about this game being more similar to a horror genre game is still accurate. In a horror game, you are usually put into a situation with overpowered enemies and limited resources, where your objective is to survive rather than defeat your enemies. Your character isn't as confident as Che or as rich as Felix or as romance novel romantic as Tyron and he never will be. If you are looking for a wish fulfillment game where you are the most seductive, good looking and charming man in the room with a huge cock who fucks like a demon then you probably won't like this game. There will be some emasculating scenes in the game that you're going to have to roll with. Things will not always "even out", where you will get a satisfying sex scene if your wife does. The game doesn't always massage your ego. In short there are unintended consequences to the decisions you make. James and his wife are ultimately making a bad decision to save their marriage by going to the club and keep making bad decisions while at the club and you're along for the ride.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby Victor » Mon, 17Feb06 18:17

TheGreatJoeGargery wrote:
I was reading in the Lesson of Passion blog that the character flaws were intentional. Throughout the game I kind of saw James as a character like Trevor from Grand Theft Auto V, who is a character the developers put in to poke a little fun at the players. Trevor does all of the impulsive, destructive things that players do in that series of games. James is just the Trevor of the erotic dating sim world. On top of that James seems a little more confident in his seduction skills than he actually is.

I think what I said earlier about this game being more similar to a horror genre game is still accurate. In a horror game, you are usually put into a situation with overpowered enemies and limited resources, where your objective is to survive rather than defeat your enemies. Your character isn't as confident as Che or as rich as Felix or as romance novel romantic as Tyron and he never will be. If you are looking for a wish fulfillment game where you are the most seductive, good looking and charming man in the room with a huge cock who fucks like a demon then you probably won't like this game. There will be some emasculating scenes in the game that you're going to have to roll with. Things will not always "even out", where you will get a satisfying sex scene if your wife does. The game doesn't always massage your ego. In short there are unintended consequences to the decisions you make. James and his wife are ultimately making a bad decision to save their marriage by going to the club and keep making bad decisions while at the club and you're along for the ride.

Assuming you are actually correct, then the game kinda reminds me of the tv show Submission, that came out last year. The idea behind that show - making sexy show with story, with real sex, making something that is not only eye candy (like porn), but also mind candy (like regular tv show) and doing it mainstream, with pornactresses.

It failed, ofc. The idea is great, but the story was stupid and the acting was... laughable, parody-like (unintentionally) and facepalm inducing. The sex was interesting, but quite frankly, with such terrible story and terrible acting, you can just watch real BDSM porn with the very same actresses. And unlike the Submission series, in "real" porn, they will at least show you everything and the scenes will be longer.

This is what CVR from LoP reminds me of, if you are actually correct. It may have an idea, but sadly that idea is hidden behind story telling, that is very much substandard for LoP games.

Lets face it - sex games should either be simple, or if you are trying to "send a message" via them, to "teach" or "wink at" something, they should be well written. If you put me in shoes of a guy, that goes into swingers club with less then 50 bucks in his pocket, dysfunctional relationship, wife that is a doublestandard bitch, to meet not exactly interesting occupants, that are mostly walking stereotypes with zero background... and you make that game click-and-try fest, then, well, it will kinda suck.

I am not angry about the game and it even features one of my fetishes. But, well, story wise is so obnoxious I have no intention to play it and complete it, as I did other LoP games.

I would rank it as second worst game from LoPG right after Dignity one. But the main problem of Dignity was, that you simply needed to repeat that grind fest on the begining for every ending. And that was replayability killer for me. That same thing also killed Into the Abyss (the Cthulhu one) from SaG for me. I more or less remember playing 10 minutes of the same boooring activity any time I tried to get different ending in Abyss. Terrible.

oh well /rant off :-)

I like LoP/SaG games. Both their f2p and p2p titles, but I have to admit Club velvet and Jacob Rebound are pretty steep decline from the usual quality that I grew accustomed over the years. Hope they get back to the quality of Lw(anyone, they are all good), Eleanor, Seducing the Throne and so on.
Victor
sirens hunter

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Mon, 17Feb06 18:27

Victor wrote:Lets face it - sex games should either be simple, or if you are trying to "send a message" via them, to "teach" or "wink at" something, they should be well written. If you put me in shoes of a guy, that goes into swingers club with less then 50 bucks in his pocket, dysfunctional relationship, wife that is a doublestandard bitch, to meet not exactly interesting occupants, that are mostly walking stereotypes with zero background... and you make that game click-and-try fest, then, well, it will kinda suck.

I respect your opinion but I disagree with this part of it. Grand Theft Auto V did this very effectively with their character of Trevor without breaking their usual formula. I am also in disagreement with the characters lacking character traits. They don't bash you over the head with a single obvious character trait like many games but they are no more underwritten than many of what people point out as being "good LOP and S&G games" that don't receive this criticism.

I personally like Che's character. He is initially friendly but has very bad intentions without jumping up and down screaming "I'm just playing you, I'm actually a jerk". You can contrast that to Richard who is the antagonist of Living With Temptation 2, who's ONLY character trait is that he's an asshole. Even then I liked Living With Temptation 2 (but I did bring that up as a criticism). In LwT2 I had a very hard time believing that Richard could seduce Tracy since he was so unlikable all the time. If we replaced Richard with Che in LwT2 I would believe that Che could seduce Tracy.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby Victor » Mon, 17Feb06 22:57

TheGreatJoeGargery wrote:I personally like Che's character. He is initially friendly but has very bad intentions without jumping up and down screaming "I'm just playing you, I'm actually a jerk". You can contrast that to Richard who is the antagonist of Living With Temptation 2, who's ONLY character trait is that he's an asshole. Even then I liked Living With Temptation 2 (but I did bring that up as a criticism). In LwT2 I had a very hard time believing that Richard could seduce Tracy since he was so unlikable all the time. If we replaced Richard with Che in LwT2 I would believe that Che could seduce Tracy.

Then we will have to agree to disagree :-)

To me Che is stereotypical selfish a-hole. Nothing special about him, people like him exists (more "realistic" and even outside swingers clubs), he is believable character, but that is about it. That said - I do agree with you that he is by far the most well written, believable and complex character in the game. But I dont mean it as a compliment. In my country we have saying "In mids of blind men, one eyed man is king" and that goes here.

My nagging is really mostly about the fact, that I have no character that I found interesting or sympathetic. Russian girl likes sex, money and is Russian; old guy likes sex, has money and.... .... thats all; blonde girl likes sex, sex, sex and sex. And Margarita; Che is treacherous selfish bastard and likes sex; MILF next to Che doesnt give a crap and likes sex; Bartender is walking cliche and likes sex. While the wanting sex is kinda important in game like this, these people just seem very... generic.

As far as some onedimensional characters from different games go - you are correct. They exist and they are hardly believable. But for instance, Richard doesnt really works like a person, he is a catalyst that helps the main heroine in evolving, so to say. But for that, you need a hero (in this case heroine) that you are interested in. If you have such persona, then you can have cheesy characters and its okay-ish In CVR, I havent find a single person that I care about or that I even feel positive emotions to.

And that is what ultimately makes this game boring to me.

That a partially the gameplay.
Victor
sirens hunter

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Tue, 17Feb07 20:46

Victor wrote:
TheGreatJoeGargery wrote:I personally like Che's character. He is initially friendly but has very bad intentions without jumping up and down screaming "I'm just playing you, I'm actually a jerk". You can contrast that to Richard who is the antagonist of Living With Temptation 2, who's ONLY character trait is that he's an asshole. Even then I liked Living With Temptation 2 (but I did bring that up as a criticism). In LwT2 I had a very hard time believing that Richard could seduce Tracy since he was so unlikable all the time. If we replaced Richard with Che in LwT2 I would believe that Che could seduce Tracy.

Then we will have to agree to disagree :-)

To me Che is stereotypical selfish a-hole. Nothing special about him, people like him exists (more "realistic" and even outside swingers clubs), he is believable character, but that is about it. That said - I do agree with you that he is by far the most well written, believable and complex character in the game. But I dont mean it as a compliment. In my country we have saying "In mids of blind men, one eyed man is king" and that goes here.

My nagging is really mostly about the fact, that I have no character that I found interesting or sympathetic. Russian girl likes sex, money and is Russian; old guy likes sex, has money and.... .... thats all; blonde girl likes sex, sex, sex and sex. And Margarita; Che is treacherous selfish bastard and likes sex; MILF next to Che doesnt give a crap and likes sex; Bartender is walking cliche and likes sex. While the wanting sex is kinda important in game like this, these people just seem very... generic.

As far as some onedimensional characters from different games go - you are correct. They exist and they are hardly believable. But for instance, Richard doesnt really works like a person, he is a catalyst that helps the main heroine in evolving, so to say. But for that, you need a hero (in this case heroine) that you are interested in. If you have such persona, then you can have cheesy characters and its okay-ish In CVR, I havent find a single person that I care about or that I even feel positive emotions to.

And that is what ultimately makes this game boring to me.

That a partially the gameplay.

Just so I can understand could you give me a character from Lesson of Passion or Sex and Glory's library that you do feel meets your criteria of a well written character? I'm understanding what you don't like but I'd like to understand exactly what it is that you do like (and I'm sure anyone from Lesson of Passion reading this thread would like to understand as well).
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby Victor » Tue, 17Feb07 21:16

TheGreatJoeGargery wrote:Just so I can understand could you give me a character from Lesson of Passion or Sex and Glory's library that you do feel meets your criteria of a well written character? I'm understanding what you don't like but I'd like to understand exactly what it is that you do like (and I'm sure anyone from Lesson of Passion reading this thread would like to understand as well).

For instance, characters from Seducing the Throne (those three girls) are well written (for a sex game, mind you - LoP writers arent under the same criteria as Tolstoj or Shakespeare, they ultimately write smug). City of Love, albeit I think the game itself is very mediocore, has decent characters. Those characters are likeable and have something that resembles a personality. Which reminds me, I liked Trip to Paradise and its characters.

I could go on, but 1. I dont wanna name characters from games that have more than one part (LwT and so on), or characters from games that focus around one girl (LvB). On a sidenote - This may actually be a problem with the current writing team, if that one was "changed" between LwT and LwT2. While LwT2 is a nice game, the writing and character depth did became worse compared to LwT 1(Which is VERY noticeable on the character of Lisa). Did they changed a writer/writing team during that time?
Victor
sirens hunter

Postby Brontozaurio » Wed, 17Feb08 00:08

And here I thought that not even TheGreatJoeGargery would be able to defend this game and see...he is doing it again...

everything is fine/fun for him... [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]

Brontozaurio
great white shark

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Wed, 17Feb08 07:22

Brontozaurio wrote:And here I thought that not even TheGreatJoeGargery would be able to defend this game and see...he is doing it again...

everything is fine/fun for him... [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]

What's funny is that when I first came to this site I got a LOT of flack from people who thought I was hating on everything.

What can I say? Subversion of the genre and subversion of player expectations, unreliable narrator, no huge exposition dumps, superficially seems a little dumb but there is a lot of intelligence hidden in there, not pretentious; this game checks off all the boxes on my checklist. If I were to equate this to a movie I'd equate it to the original 1987 Robocop. It is almost comically over the top at times but takes its subject matter seriously enough to not be an overt parody. It is smart but goes out of its way to not appear so.

I did mention the game's problems as well. I thought the game may be better served with a path through where you could not make bad decisions so you have to actively make a choice for everything to get as crazy as it does (just because I know most players would avoid that option the second they think they could work out a threesome between their wife and another woman and then watch as those threesome plans go horribly, horribly wrong).

I did like this game but I think I am enjoying people's reaction to the game even more.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby yoyo34 » Thu, 17Feb09 14:00

I guess I'm with Victor right here. This game is way too negative for me.

On the blog, the writer says the hidden point of the game is to demonstrate that swinging is not a solution when a relationship turns bad. Fair point, it's true [except if the only problem of the couple is mutual sexual boredom, in which case it can work]. However, this does not make for a fun game. IMO, all the people liking it like one of the aspects of the game, usually cheating, some it's the cuckold, other a little group sex, etc, but it's obvious it doesn't do very well the swinging part. Actually a few said that they didn't like the idea of swinging and a game based on that, but were surprised they still liked the game a lot, which IMO says it all.

In LwT, the swinger path is, depending on the choices made, a lot more positive and it's still realistic [except the club depiction which is like: WTF; here in CVR the club is a bit more realistic]. IMO it would have been far better to have a "healthier" couple, and/or at least one positive path.

They've already announced a (small, I suppose) expansion with an extra girl.
yoyo34
sirens hunter

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Thu, 17Feb09 18:12

yoyo34 wrote:I guess I'm with Victor right here. This game is way too negative for me.

On the blog, the writer says the hidden point of the game is to demonstrate that swinging is not a solution when a relationship turns bad. Fair point, it's true [except if the only problem of the couple is mutual sexual boredom, in which case it can work]. However, this does not make for a fun game. IMO, all the people liking it like one of the aspects of the game, usually cheating, some it's the cuckold, other a little group sex, etc, but it's obvious it doesn't do very well the swinging part. Actually a few said that they didn't like the idea of swinging and a game based on that, but were surprised they still liked the game a lot, which IMO says it all.

In LwT, the swinger path is, depending on the choices made, a lot more positive and it's still realistic [except the club depiction which is like: WTF; here in CVR the club is a bit more realistic]. IMO it would have been far better to have a "healthier" couple, and/or at least one positive path.

They've already announced a (small, I suppose) expansion with an extra girl.

That is perfectly fair criticism of the game. It does have a lot of fetishes and probably doesn't go as far into exploring those individual fetishes as it perhaps should. Being a bit more focused in their sexual content may have been a better approach when developing this game. Looking at it from that perspective I can see why some people called the game a little bland. It seemed that Lesson of Passion was dipping their toe in the water to test the temperature rather than jumping right into the pool.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Other sexy games