IRay Motion Blur Effect

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

IRay Motion Blur Effect

Postby Eldormain » Sat, 18May12 01:56

Hi All,

I've been reading up and watching videos on motion blur effects in DAZ. I'm using DAZ3D 4.9 and am updated to the current build. Much of the information is for older versions and of those most of it is rendered in 3Delight. I came across some information about the blur effect for iray not being implemented yet. However, it was for an older build. Is this true?

If not then how is this done in the current version. I would be interested in knowing how to do objects, figures and backgrounds. Links to articles or videos are fine as long as they are pertinent to 4.9 and Iray. After over a week of daily searching for any content to help I am at a loss. I had even tried, unsuccessfully, to do an image in 3Delight.

Thanks, Lagooners,

Eldormain

[img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
------------------------------------------------------

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Eldormain
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Re: IRay Motion Blur Effect

Postby MaxCarna » Sat, 18May12 06:58

Eldormain,

I don't know if it will reach the effect that you want, but I usually change the focal distance of the camera.

On the camera settings set Depth of Field as on. Then you can play with "Focal distance" and "F/Stop". You can put a figure inside the focal distance, and all the background will be blur.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Postby Mortze » Sat, 18May12 16:35

I like doing motion effects simply in Photoshop but if you want to use the Render engine for that there's this product https://www.daz3d.com/motion-blur-for-iray
If you want to be sure just send a help request to the DAZ team to be sure that it works fine in DAZ 4.9. I'm betting it does but better to be sure.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Eldormain » Sun, 18May13 02:33

MaxCarna wrote:I don't know if it will reach the effect that you want, but I usually change the focal distance of the camera.

Hi MaxCarna, this is something I have used for the blur it's meant for but it doesn't achieve the motion blur effect I am going for. I like you're thinking though, the proverbial "out of the box." It's something I try to do.

Mortze wrote:I like doing motion effects simply in Photoshop but if you want to use the Render engine for that there's this product https://www.daz3d.com/motion-blur-for-iray
If you want to be sure just send a help request to the DAZ team to be sure that it works fine in DAZ 4.9. I'm betting it does but better to be sure.

Hi Mortze, I'm starting to think that I will have to resign myself to doing that. It's always been an option and is easy enough to do. Naturally, with the render times of a below average machine for graphics I'm always looking for things to reduce the time spent with an image. The product is a possibility. It's a neat variation on blur, a smooth staccatoed blur. Unfortunately, the eye doesn't see most blurs that way. It definitely has it's uses. Based on some of the promo pics I could see some scary uses in a creepy/horror tale.

In the interest of passing along knowledge for anyone else who might be looking for this sort of feature in DAZ using Iray here is what I've found thus far. As of the date of this post this feature isn't enabled yet for the current version of DAZ for Iray. Iray itself is capable of doing this. Apparently, other programs that use Iray have this feature. You can do this using the 3Delight engine. The process to do this with the 3Delight engine looks super easy. And using it for objects, figures, and backgrounds is all essentially the same. The process looks like it would be nearly identical for Iray. At least I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

I appreciate the information and will keep checking back in the event anyone chimes in.

Cheers,

Eldormain

"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine." - Ludwig van Beethoven
Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby Mortze » Sun, 18May13 19:14

I really think that Photoshop motion blur is way faster than rendering it and you always have more control on the final result. You'll find plenty of motion blur effect for Photoshop tutorials in the internet.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greebo » Sun, 18May13 19:28

If you're on a budget you might find the GIMP's abilities with motion blur an easy match for Photoshop's expensive offering -- and after all, the GIMP is free! There are loads of tutorials out there to show you how to do it.
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Mortze » Sun, 18May13 22:27

Greebo wrote:If you're on a budget you might find the GIMP's abilities with motion blur an easy match for Photoshop's expensive offering -- and after all, the GIMP is free! There are loads of tutorials out there to show you how to do it.

Exactly.
By Photoshop I meant any image editing software with "Motion Blur" filter.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Eldormain » Mon, 18May14 00:41

I think the two of you might be right. Of course, logically, if the ability to do it in DAZ for Iray isn't enabled at this point I only have a couple of options. Both entail using another program. Since I started this project, at last count, I think I have learned something like seven new programs. Some were super minor and easy. Others I am not using any more but am familiar enough with them that I could should the need arise.

Years back I had been using Photoshop for various photo manipulations. I stopped using it because of OS upgrades. And working lousy paying, soul-sucking jobs kept me from upgrading Photoshop. I'm still working a lousy paying, soul-sucking job (slightly less soul-sucking as what I do actually helps people, however, it's not as enjoyable as story creation and telling) and signed up for the trial of Photoshop. At first the pay by month options offended me as I saw it as a money grab. It just reminded me of utilities and other monthly bills that seem a bit deceitful. However, they are in business to make money and the free resources you get when you purchase are very impressive. Regardless of the change to their business model I am fond of Photoshop. It's a very powerful program and rather reasonable for the price. Plus, the monthly thing allows folks on tighter funds to potentially afford it. Regardless, I am currently using GIMP and have been nearly as impressed with it. The learning curve was minor and the resources/suuport, as you mentioned Greebo, are super easy to find. GIMPs community is what I would consider a solid community. And from what you are saying, Mortze, Photoshop is similar.

I suppose I will set aside some time and experiment again to refine the process/es I will need to use if I want to accomplish this. I'm confident in what I know about the program (GIMP) and the feedback I get at this site that in one fashion or another I can accomplish what I envision. I liken the community here to what I said about the GIMP community above. I've said it before and I'm not just being polite I really appreciate the attention paid to this site. I have continued to try to offer such support but either don't have an answer or get beaten to the punch. My day will come, oh yes, my day will come. *sits with elbows on the arm of my chair while finger tips tap each other in turn villainously* [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]

Cheers

Eldormain

Eldormain
lagoon predator

Postby MaxCarna » Mon, 18May14 02:23

I always try to find the best cost-benefit to get a product done. But when I started making the game scenes, I tried to use 100% Daz resources and no external software, such as Photoshop.

One day my wife got a license and I tried to make one thing or another on Photoshop. Man! I fixed overlap clothes in less than 1 minute using the stamp tool in Photoshop. In Daz I usually had to vary the "mesh smoothing" iteractions and colisions, and make a pre-render because sometimes the "holes" appeared only on the final render. I wasted up to an hour on this playing. Now I make all images for the month, and two days before the release I pass all them on Photoshop to apply small fixes.

But if you pretend to stay only on Daz, try this product: https://www.daz3d.com/motion-blur-for-iray

You can keep it on the wishlist until the next offer related to this author.
MaxCarna
star of the reef

Return to The workshop of creators