question about daz layered image editor

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

question about daz layered image editor

Postby lamont Sanford » Tue, 16Mar08 01:02

Hello, I hae a question I am hoping someone has an answer too. I am messing around with the layered image editor in daz studio to add tattoos to a model. Now my question is this The way the skin map is it is not possible to add a full back tattoo because the two halves are split..anyone know how to get around this or make it work? n Thanks
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Re: question about daz layered image editor

Postby Mortze » Wed, 16Mar09 19:03

What I've done is cut the tattoo in half in an editing software, and place it in the surface map, using the the same software. Lots of trial and error. Because I don't know how to do it in the layered image editor.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Ehlanna » Wed, 16Mar09 20:51

Adding stuff which 'crosses seams' such as your back tattoo are a pain to do! There is (or used to be) a program (called Decal Master) that would load a Poser format figure (a .cr2), then you could add your texture to that, and then you could add 'overlays' and the program would handle the positioning of them. You'd then save out your new texture set and apply it to your figure in Daz Studio. If it's a Gen 4 figure you're working with (or Genesis) and your texture set is one or more .pz2 files then you could do it this way.
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Wed, 16Mar09 21:04

Thanks for the replies [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Thu, 16Mar17 00:58

Ehlanna wrote:Adding stuff which 'crosses seams' such as your back tattoo are a pain to do! There is (or used to be) a program (called Decal Master) that would load a Poser format figure (a .cr2), then you could add your texture to that, and then you could add 'overlays' and the program would handle the positioning of them. You'd then save out your new texture set and apply it to your figure in Daz Studio. If it's a Gen 4 figure you're working with (or Genesis) and your texture set is one or more .pz2 files then you could do it this way.

I bought decal master (oof over 30 bucks) and It looks like I may have wasted my money. As of now I am having a hard time working with it since it is so old and does not support figures past vicky 4.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby Ehlanna » Fri, 16Mar18 01:28

lamont Sanford wrote:
Ehlanna wrote:Adding stuff which 'crosses seams' such as your back tattoo are a pain to do! There is (or used to be) a program (called Decal Master) that would load a Poser format figure (a .cr2), then you could add your texture to that, and then you could add 'overlays' and the program would handle the positioning of them. You'd then save out your new texture set and apply it to your figure in Daz Studio. If it's a Gen 4 figure you're working with (or Genesis) and your texture set is one or more .pz2 files then you could do it this way.

I bought decal master (oof over 30 bucks) and It looks like I may have wasted my money. As of now I am having a hard time working with it since it is so old and does not support figures past vicky 4.

Hopefully not from a recommendation from me - if so, sorry! I did mention it works with Poser format figures.
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Fri, 16Mar18 01:42

hah dont worry about it. I tried 2 methods I reinstalled vicky and applied the decal to that then tried to import it and fit it to genesis 3 like a shirt with bad results. The other method that I want to work is I exported genesis 3 as an waveform obj and I could load it fine in decal master but it could not load the mtl file. I tried it as a cr2 file but it would not load either even though that is a poser format. I will keep at it and hopefully figure out a solution, if not it is not the end of the world I guess just an annoyance.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby Ehlanna » Fri, 16Mar18 11:09

Depending on your final destination for the modified texture you might end up with a "I wouldn't start from here ..." answer.
In (very!) simple terms, you can load a V4, apply .pz2 MATs in Decal Master as a starting point. To that you can apply decals. When done you save the revised texture set (default is into same location). This texture set can then be used on any V4 in Daz Studio. It can be used on the Genesis figure s that can accept .pz2 files and 'understands' the V4 UV map.
It gets trickier when going to G2F as that does not accept .pz2 files, so there is an extra step required to get the .pz2 into a .duf file (should just be a save as material preset). That .duf can then be used on G2F - with the caveat that G2F does not, natively, support the V4 UV map so you'll need to buy the additional product which adds that. There is also a product that will take a .pz2 and apply it direct to G2F (but you still need the UV map product!).
I have seen something which purports to give G3F access to older UV maps, but not seen it in action, nor any results so cannot comment on that.
And, of course, for V4 and G2F above you can substitute M4 and G2M, etc.
You may get some obvious texture stretching with the various conversions required, but that may depend on the nature of the decal and where it is positioned.
Ehlanna
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Fri, 16Mar18 15:46

Thanks for the info.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Return to The workshop of creators