Adventure Creator Q&A thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator Q&A thread

Postby Hindemith » Tue, 17Dec26 23:28

Great, thanks for the feedback! Another thing... Is there a way to implement the "Back" button near the save/restore for the player to roll back one page?
Hindemith
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Wed, 17Dec27 04:04

Do you just want to roll back a page, or do you want to undo any state changes as well? For instance, say the player gets a point on one page and then goes back and does it again. Does he get two points, or do you only want him to get one?

If the latter, I would set up an automatic save slot and stick a save game to that save slot in the PostLoad. Then the back button just restores the automatic save slot. That will let you go back once, but won't let you go back multiple steps. Since some browsers use cookies for the save, there's not enough space to do a full undo stack. If you want that, you'll have an easier time with Renpy, where that functionality is built in.

I personally feel that "back" funtionality isn't very necessary when users have an easy quicksave and multiple save slots. If they get to a spot where they want to try all of the possiblities, they'll just save it and try them. In GtkC, I had a checkpoint system where I automatically saved at certain spots so that users could go back if they failed. When in the next game I implemented an actual "save when you want" button, everyone liked it better.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Hindemith » Thu, 18Jan04 21:31

I want an undo button, that rolls back state changes as well. It doesn't need to have stack functionalities, it's more of a panick button in case the player miss clicks something or forgets to save before something big. I think your idea will work [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
Hindemith
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Sat, 18Jan06 20:12

I'm a little concerned that people will be confused that you can undo once but not twice. You should probably put some code in to hide the undo button after you've gone back once. It also runs the risk of being a source of bugs. Consider the case where you make a move, then restore a game, and then hit Undo. It will undo to the spot before you restored the game, etc.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby kexter » Sat, 18Jan06 22:39

An alternative idea would be to create an auto save feature, which could be implemented similarly to how the quick save is done. The game could auto save on every page where there is more than a single choice. The functionality is pretty much the same but calling it "autosave" instead of "undo" should be less confusing regarding its functionality. It could be done with some modifications to LoadPage() and by adding a "Load autosave" button somewhere on the interface. LoadPage() should save after the page is already loaded, this way when an autosave is loaded the new autosave effectively gets overwritten to become the same one as it already was, instead of the page where we were when we started the load process.
@kextercius
kexter

Previous

Return to The workshop of creators