Adventure Creator feature discussion thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator feature discussion thread

Postby tlaero » Tue, 16Jan26 02:58

Kexter, can you confirm that you no longer need the following lines from the template?

<div id="panesId" class="panesClass">
<div id="effectId" class="effectClass">
<div id="frontPaneId" class="frontPaneClass">

</div> <!-- frontPaneId -->
<div id="backPaneId" class="backPaneClass">
</div> <!-- backPaneId -->
</div> <!-- effectId -->
</div> <!-- panesId -->

I don't want to remove them if doing so will break BEW.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby kexter » Tue, 16Jan26 06:50

tlaero wrote:Kexter, can you confirm that you no longer need the following lines from the template? [...]
I can confirm, none of those are used by BEW anymore. You can remove them.

tlaero wrote:I would make sense to allow multiple languages per subdirectory though. The original idea for subdirectories was that you could release an episode that's self-contained in an subdirectory, both images and htms. It seems that whatever I do for the UI should work on the subdirectories. [...] I'll make sure that works. Up to you folks if you want to use it or continue with the custom version. Whatever works for you.
Yeah, please make sure that the localization-specific UI stuff could be turned off. Just in case it interferes with the directory structure of BEW.
Note: BEW ships with a single html file now, the rest is only used during development, so I don't think we'll be able to use the built-in localization feature of AC regardless of how it may be implemented in the future. Also the game hasn't relied on "_functions.js" for a while, and now it doesn't care about the template anymore.
@kextercius
kexter

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Tue, 16Jan26 07:27

I'll definitely make sure that any localization UI I make doesn't need to be used.

kexter wrote:Note: BEW ships with a single html file now ... Also the game hasn't relied on "_functions.js" for a while, and now it doesn't care about the template anymore.

<scratches head> Why even use AC then?

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby kexter » Tue, 16Jan26 17:03

tlaero wrote:Why even use AC then?
Because it's good for the task. Lightweight and familiar.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby luke » Wed, 16Jan27 13:57

tlaero wrote:1) You edit the htm files in some other editor. No work for me, but pretty lame.
2) You open two copies of AC, one on the original language and one on the new one. Also no work for me, but not much lame.
3) I make two "GameView" windows, one for the original language, and one for the new one. When you click on a file in either, it brings up the new file in AC so that you can edit the text there. This way you never accidentally change the original, but you have easy access to see the text in it in the game view. I guess I'd also add something that makes it easy to see which pages haven't been updated yet.
4) Some kind of thing where the main AC window shows two of each text field and it opens both the original and new language file into the same window. Then you edit them side by side. You'd need a big monitor for this (the window would be large) but it seems like it would be the easiest way to work.

1) for me

tlaero wrote:Now, if I want to do a Spanish version, I just duplicate the English folder and change the files in it. They'll already point to the right place for images and the localizer will be able to do anything he wants with the text files. Then add a Spanish flag to start.htm that points to files/spanish/_begin.htm and we're golden.

Sounds good.
Que la Force de Shark soit avec toi / May the Shark Force be with you
luke

Postby moskys » Wed, 16Jan27 15:04

tlaero wrote:In Redemption for Jessika, I rearranged the directory structure to make it easier to do multiple languages. There are no changes needed in AC for this, but it got me thinking. Could I add features to AC to make it easier for localizers/translators to translate AC games into other languages? I'd like to hear from people who do that work what they'd like to see. I'm thinking of a couple of different possibilities, some easy for me, some harder.

1) You edit the htm files in some other editor. No work for me, but pretty lame.
2) You open two copies of AC, one on the original language and one on the new one. Also no work for me, but not much lame.
3) I make two "GameView" windows, one for the original language, and one for the new one. When you click on a file in either, it brings up the new file in AC so that you can edit the text there. This way you never accidentally change the original, but you have easy access to see the text in it in the game view. I guess I'd also add something that makes it easy to see which pages haven't been updated yet.
4) Some kind of thing where the main AC window shows two of each text field and it opens both the original and new language file into the same window. Then you edit them side by side. You'd need a big monitor for this (the window would be large) but it seems like it would be the easiest way to work.

Or, is there something else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,
Tlaero

Well, as Kexter has said before, I currently use the first option. I open the .jss file with English text (I think it's not used in the game, though), copypaste it in a new .jss file and overwrite it in Spanish (with new Episodes, I just copypaste the new content in the existing Spanish locale). But I'll approve any system that keep the original English text on sight while I'm translating it, and it would be greater if I don't have to erase that English text after writting in Spanish (I think that would be comfortable for translators and also safer for the game).
moskys
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Wed, 16Jan27 19:54

Thank you Luke and Moskys. Certainly, no matter what I do, you'll be able to hand edit the htm files. But I'm sure that what I'm planning will make things much easier than that.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan29 21:13

Kexter and Wolf, you folks take the individual files that AC makes and can rearrange them in any way you'd like to make your episodes, correct?

The localization directories and the episode subdirectories are kind of at odds. My life would be quite a bit easier if things worked like I'm about to describe, though I recognize that it's not ideal for you.

First, if you don't use the LocTool, nothing has to change. So you can keep your structure the way it is now if you want. You just won't be able to use the LocTool.

Here's a typical structure. (Things in <brackets> are directories.)
Code: Select all
<files>
     *.css
     *.js
     *.htm
     <images>
           *.jpg

Here's one that uses an episode subdir
<files>
    *.css
    *.js
    *.htm
    <images>
         *.jpg
    <ep1>
         *.htm
         <images>
              *.jpg

Here's my plan for non-episode localized games (directories are lower cased, but the spellchecker keeps making them upper case. I'm going to stop fighting with it...)
<files>
    _functions.js
    _game.js
    <images>
         *.jpg
    <English>
         *.css
         *.js (other than the two in base)
         *.htm
    <French>
         *.css
         *.js
         *.htm

And that brings us to localized + episode subdirectories. If I made you do this, you'd be able to back end convert to what you want, right?
<files>
    _functions.js
    _game.js
    <images>
         *.jpg
    <ep1images>  //You can put this anywhere you'd like
         *.jpg
    <English>
         *.css
         *.js (other than the two in base)
         *.htm
          <ep1>
                *.htm
    <French>
         *.css
         *.js
         *.htm
         <ep1>
              *.htm

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Fri, 16Jan29 22:03

BEW Structure is actually:

<files>
    *.css
    *.js
    French.js
    Spanish.js
    *.htm
      <ep1>
         <ep1scene1>
              *.htm
              *.js
              <images>
                  *.jpg
          <ep1scene2>
                *.htm
                *.js
                <images>
                      *.jpg
      <ep2>

The purpose is to make an episode a self contained module containing all .htm/js for that episode. At least originally. I'm a little brain fried at the moment to accurately express how that affects our post-build structure. I'll defer to Kexter to save him the bother of correcting me. :)

EDIT - added scene *.js and localization *.js files to the code example above for a bit more clarity
Wolfschadowe
Last edited by Wolfschadowe on Fri, 16Jan29 22:10, edited 2 times in total.
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Wolfschadowe » Fri, 16Jan29 22:07

Speaking of brain fried, I meant to add.

We can probably back-end convert anything at this point, although I think it would be great if we could give a dev version of the game to translators that have all the single files, and let them use the AC localization feature if they so choose, and then automate the incorporation of that as part of our build script. The main key is the ability to easily 'Pick and choose' episodes to send out which the directory structure allows.

Wolfschadowe.
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby kexter » Fri, 16Jan29 22:18

@Tlaero:
Out-of-the-box, since we are only shipping a single html file (which AC can't read) we won't be able to take advantage of the LocTool regardless of its design. So I'd say, please do what works best for you, don't try to make compromises for our system - just make sure that the LocTool is optional and then we are good.
Wolfschadowe wrote:I think it would be great if we could give a dev version of the game to translators that have all the single files, and let them use the AC localization feature if they so choose, and then automate the incorporation of that as part of our build script.
We can always make a specialized version to send out to translators who wish to use AC for translation, we would just put everything in the same directory like Tlaero's "non-episode localized games" design. Our build system is perfectly capable to handle that and that seems to be the least headache-y to do for Tlaero too.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Wolfschadowe » Fri, 16Jan29 22:23

kexter wrote:...Our build system is perfectly capable to handle that and that seems to be the least headache-y to do for Tlaero too.
That's true. Considering everything Tlaero has done to make things less headache-y f for me/us, I agree. Do what is best for you Tlaero, We can adapt to whatever. :)

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan29 22:36

Thanks guys.

Some day I may find enough benefit in single files to outweigh the downsides (don't see it yet). If/when that happens, I'll switch to single files and your users will be able to read them in AC.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sat, 16Feb06 18:30

Okay, in the version of AC that I'm working on, it can now open Start.htm. This kind of broke my model, so it was a lot of work. And I'm not 100% sure that I caught every edge case, but it seems to be working. I did this in part for Mortze, because he often has trouble with Start.htm. But I also did it to make it easier to add language hit targets when we add translations.

I'm planning to finish having GameView show unlocalized pages as broken links and will probably release it. Next on the list after that is an option to automatically convert games from non-loc to the localized folder structure. I'll test that on DwE and Pandora.

Next on the list after that is probably Conditions for hit areas. (That's an idea I'm lifting from WBA.)

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Joka » Wed, 16Feb10 11:44

Hello
I'm creating a mini-game with AC but I have a little issue with the text.
I'm writing it in french and I don't konw exactly where to put the "@charset" or havi I to insert <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /> in each html page ?
I tryied on style.css without any effect.
Joka
sirens hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators