AC: Advanced Animation Techniques

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

AC: Advanced Animation Techniques

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan22 04:13

This thread was originally "Need Help" posted in the Sexy Games forum. When I get some time, I'm going to change this to be a tutorial on how to do some of the "reach, rub, return" animations that you'll see in Redemption for Jessika. I've just got to actually finish RfJ first. (-: So, please bear with me.

Note that you're welcome to download the sample and look at it, but you won't really be able to make your own versions in AC until I release AC7.1 (probably today).

Tlaero

Original message follows:
Sorry to abuse the topic here, but I really need to get some eyes on this quickly. Admins, if you'll allow me this transgression, we can move the topic to the developer board when I get the data I need.

I'm writing the last sex scene for RfJ and it's working fine for me, but isn't working for Mortze, even when he uses the same browser I am. I'm ... concerned. Could people download this sample:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqlew ... nimate.zip

Unzip it and click "_begin.htm"
That should give you a white image with a black "0" with text at the top that says "Please click and hold on the number."
I need you to do three different things.
1) Normal click on the number (click and immediately release)
2) Click and hold on the number
3) Click and hold on the number until it starts counting up, then release it before the background inverts.

When you do 1, I expect the numbers to increase (0, 1, 2) and then decrease, putting you back to the same place.
When you do 2, I expect the numbers to count up to 4, then the screen switch to black background with white numbers. The numbers there will count up and down until you release the mouse. Release the mouse and it'll switch back to white background, count down, and say "If you got here, everything worked."
When you do 3, I expect it to act like 1.

Please respond here with whether 1, 2, and 3 worked, the browser you used, and the OS and version you're running on. If you have more than one browser available, I'd appreciate it if you tried this in all of them.

Thank you! This is the thing that's going to cause us to delay RfJ if I can't figure it out.

Tlaero
Last edited by tlaero on Sat, 16Jan23 16:41, edited 2 times in total.
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Re: Need Help

Postby inferno9898 » Fri, 16Jan22 04:27

On Linux Ubuntu 14.04, in both Chrome and Firefox, Step 1 Normal click counted up to 4, switched to inverted colors, and then repeatedly looped 0-4 and 4-0 while displaying "Inverted colors, counting up and down. Release the click when ready." at the top. If I normal click again, it inverts back to white background, counts down, and gets to "If you got here, everything worked.". Further clicks yield nothing, so never got to step 2.

If I start with step 2, without doing step 1 first, it seems to work as expected (i.e. counts up, inverts, loops the counting, then goes back to white and countdown upon release).

Hope that was clear enough.
inferno9898
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Postby jokr419 » Fri, 16Jan22 04:53

On Windows 10 pro x64. I tried it with Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Edge. It worked as intended in all of them.
jokr419
Pilot fish

Postby Hoboy » Fri, 16Jan22 04:57

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Safari 8.0.8, Firefox 39.0.3 and Chrome both 47.0.2526.111 and 48.0.2564.82 (both 64 bits) all operated as

Step 1 - single click - screen stayed white and the number skipped to 4 and counted down. No increase, just jump to 4 and decrease.

Step 2 - hold - worked as advertised.

Step 3 - hold then release before color change - worked as advertised
Last edited by Hoboy on Fri, 16Jan22 06:06, edited 2 times in total.
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan22 04:57

Thanks guys! That's a big help. I've added a step 3 to the first page. Can you try it as well? I have a theory about what's happening, and that will help me confirm it.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby azerukaze » Fri, 16Jan22 05:02

Using Windows 8.1

IE 11.0.9600.18161
Worked as expected

Chrome 47.0.2526.111 m & 48.0.2564.82 m
Mixed results. Sometimes it worked.
Another time it (action 1) acted like holding mouse button (action 2) without releasing it. I had to click & release it again for it to countdown & reach the "everything worked" page.
(anim > [click & release] > anim1rch > anim1rub > [click & release] > anim1reta > anim2)

Firefox 42.0, 43.01 & 43.04
Same as Chrome
azerukaze
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan22 05:24

My current theory is that when it works it switches to the anim1rch before you let go of the click. When it doesn't work, you let go of the mouse before it switches, so when it gets to anim1rch, the mouse is already up. I've got a fast computer, so maybe I'm not seeing that. If anyone can see a difference between 1 and 3, that'll tell me a lot. Also, if you see that you're letting go before the "counting up" appears, that would also confirm my theory.

Thanks for all the data, folks. Please keep it coming.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby jokr419 » Fri, 16Jan22 05:24

ok step 3: Firefox 43.0.4, Chrome 48.0.2564.82 m when letting go right after the colors invert the numbers stay white on black background. Going 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, over and over until i click the screen again. Then it goes back down to black 0 on white background.
IE 11.0.1, and Edge 20.10240, both work as intended.
jokr419
Pilot fish

Postby Dolphin-BR » Fri, 16Jan22 05:27

Windows 7 64bits Firefox 43.0.4: 1- Numbers increase up to 4, then in inverted colors numbers increase from 0 up to 4 then decrease and increase again in an infinite loop. If I click again it stops and I get the message "If you got here everything worked" (But sometimes Numbers start at 0 jumps to 4 then decrease to 0. If I click again it does the whole process again.)

2- Numbers increase up to 4, then in inverted colors numbers increase from 0 up to 4 then decrease and increase again in an infinite loop. When I release the mouse button it stops and I get the message "If you got here everything worked"

3- Numbers start at 0 jumps to 4 then decrease to 0.

Windows 7 64bits Chrome 48.0.2564: 1- Numbers start at 0 jumps to 4 then decrease to 0. If I click again it displays "animate". If I click again it does the whole process again.

2- Numbers increase up to 4, then in inverted colors numbers increase from 0 up to 4 then decrease and increase again in an infinite loop. When I release the mouse button it stops and I get the message "If you got here everything worked"

Windows 7 64bits Opera 34.0.2036: 1- Numbers start at 0 jumps to 4 then decrease to 0. If I click again it displays "animate". If I click again it does the whole process again.

Windows 7 64bits Internet Explorer 8.0.7601: 1- Numbers are not clickable.

2- Numbers are not clickable.

3- Numbers are not clickable.

* As I don't use Internet Explorer, it may be bad configured.
Last edited by Dolphin-BR on Fri, 16Jan22 08:57, edited 2 times in total.
Dolphin-BR
star of the reef

Postby Squeeky » Fri, 16Jan22 05:32

If what you hoped for was that I would not see any inverted screen for #3, then I just saw white backgrounds.
I'd been looking at the respective html pages and wondering if it was the order of calling that was the concern.
I can see that there appear to be two html pages, for instance which are not represented in the others - anim1reta.htm and anim2.htm.
By the way, I just run that in FireFox (whatever be its latest version and under Win 7).
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby azerukaze » Fri, 16Jan22 05:34

tlaero wrote:My current theory is that when it works it switches to the anim1rch before you let go of the click. When it doesn't work, you let go of the mouse before it switches, so when it gets to anim1rch, the mouse is already up. I've got a fast computer, so maybe I'm not seeing that. If anyone can see a difference between 1 and 3, that'll tell me a lot. Also, if you see that you're letting go before the "counting up" appears, that would also confirm my theory.

Thanks for all the data, folks. Please keep it coming.

Tlaero

Yup. It's as you theorized. I tried again with fast-release click and a slow-release click. It worked exactly as you mentioned.
Step 3 worked as expected with all browsers (anim1rch > [release] > anim1ret)
azerukaze
sirens hunter

Postby givemeaname11 » Fri, 16Jan22 05:57

Worked just fine for me on the latest version of Firefox, on Windows 10 64bit
givemeaname11
Pilot fish

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan22 08:49

azerukaze wrote:Yup. It's as you theorized. I tried again with fast-release click and a slow-release click. It worked exactly as you mentioned.
Step 3 worked as expected with all browsers (anim1rch > [release] > anim1ret)

Thanks! That's a huge help. Okay, that means that there's a race condition that can happen on the page transitions. If the key is released between the time you leave one page and you load the other, I'll miss it. I'll have to think this through.

Thank you everyone for helping with this. I'm going to bed now, but I'll hopefully have a new version for you to try tomorrow that hardens against the race condition.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby redle » Fri, 16Jan22 09:49

Using an old Windows XP box and FF 43.0.4 steps 1 and 2 behave identically (as step 2 is expected to respond). Black screen numbers continue to cycle until I: in step 1 - click again; in step 2 - release button. Step 3 behaves as advertised.
redle
star of the reef

Postby callsen » Fri, 16Jan22 11:58

Also under a WinXP SP3 box:

With FF 43.0.4:
1. Sometimes increases to 4 then switch in black and infinitely loops between 0 to 4, sometimes directly starts to 4 in white then decreases to 0 and stops.
2. Works as expected
3. On hold starts to increase, on release jumps to 4 (even if I were at 1 or 2) then decreases to 0.

I got exactly the same results with Chrome 48.0.2564.82 m.
callsen
Pilot fish

Next

Return to The workshop of creators