Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator main thread

Postby tlaero » Sat, 15Dec26 20:41

"Oh yes Santa, I've been a really good girl..."

<blushes>

By the way, it so happens that you can leave the toptext blank without hitting the bug. It only happens if you have more than 0 characters but less than 5. It not hitting when blank, coupled with the fact that I always use quotes for things people say in toptext now is why I didn't notice the bug when I introduced it.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby tlaero » Tue, 15Dec29 19:30

Okay, the mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter arrived from Amazon, and I've got my new computer set up the way I want it. I've fixed the TopText bug in AC and uploaded a new version.
Interestingly, that bug only hit when you had a toptext string that was 3 characters long. It's funny that Macster and I hit that one edge case on the same day.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

I'm calling the new version 7.0, even though there aren't any real changes in it. It does require the new .net, though, so I figure the major version change makes sense. I've kept a copy of 6.9 on the site in case anyone isn't able to use the new .net. (Link to 6.9 on the first page of this thread.)

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Tue, 15Dec29 19:56

Thanks Tlaero! I'll be taking it out for a spin, as usual.

Hope you enjoy your surface book. Santa brought me a Surface 4, which finally replaces my Surface Pro. :)

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Greyelf » Tue, 15Dec29 22:30

Tlaero: Slightly off topic but in a couple of weeks could you give your opinion of how the Surface Book is preforming as a development environment for you? I ask because I am a professional developer and I am looking for a new portable (laptop or equivalent) machine and the Surface Book sounds interesting but I don't 'know' anyone else that has one.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby tlaero » Fri, 16Jan01 19:43

Hey Wolf. I coveted the Surface Pro 4, but couldn't justify it since I have the Surface Pro 3. I'm sure it's a huge step up from the Surface Pro 1 though. I could justify the SurfaceBook though because my desktop was dying and it's different than my Pro 3 and ... well because I really wanted it. (-:

GreyElf, I'll keep you posted. First though, let me describe my setup.
I've got the Core i7, 512G SSD, 16G Ram SurfaceBook. It lists the processors as Core i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60Ghz 2.81 Ghz.
The internal display adapter is listed as an Intel HD Graphics 520 and the 3D video controller is listed as a ... hmm, it says it's not working. I've got to look into that.

I've got it plugged into the new SurfaceDock (the one that juts plugs into the power slot). I've got a normal keyboard and mouse plugged into that as well as wired Ethernet and a QuadHD (2560x1440) 27 inch display (an old Dell U2711). A trick I've found is to tell the computer that the Dell is the primary display. That way, when it's docked everything goes there by default but when I undock it, everything goes back to the laptop screen).
The laptop screen is 3000x2000 and is at a size where 200% zoom is appropriate.

Visual studio runs fine and coding has been easy. Because I'm tying on my old keyboard and looking at my old screen, it feels like my old desktop, although I've got this secondary screen below. The keyboard on the surfacebook is really very good, and sometimes I move the external keyboard aside and type on it. But the external keyboard I use is the same one I use at work, so I prefer to keep the muscle memory equivalent.

An issue I'm seeing is one that has been reported. It doesn't sleep correctly. If I just sleep the SurfaceBook, I come back and find the fan blowing. I hear they're working on that, so in the mean time I've been hibernating it.

Oh, and when I remove the surfacebook screen and read comics on it ... OMFG is it ever an awesome experience. (-:

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Greyelf » Fri, 16Jan01 22:00

tlaero wrote:GreyElf, I'll keep you posted. First though, let me describe my setup.

TY for the write up and for agreeing to keep me posted.
tlaero wrote:... and read comics on it ... OMFG is it ever an awesome experience. (-:

That sounds like something to look forward to, although it does mean I would first need to convert my old physical comic collection into a digital one! lol
(and I do mean old, things like Savage Sword of Conan and such...)
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby Wolfschadowe » Mon, 16Jan04 17:52

tlaero wrote:Hey Wolf. I coveted the Surface Pro 4, but couldn't justify it since I have the Surface Pro 3. I'm sure it's a huge step up from the Surface Pro 1 though.
---snip---
An issue I'm seeing is one that has been reported. It doesn't sleep correctly. If I just sleep the SurfaceBook, I come back and find the fan blowing. I hear they're working on that, so in the mean time I've been hibernating it.

Oh, and when I remove the surfacebook screen and read comics on it ... OMFG is it ever an awesome experience. (-:
I love the surface 4. I got the top processor/Ram combo, although only 512GB SSD, which is all I need on that considering I have 6TB of home NAS. I also have the same sleep problem occasionally. I'd say it hits about 30% of the time. Boot time is so fast though, It doesn't matter much.
Just because I can, I streamed Fallout 4 from the desktop to play on the surface, worked like a charm, and got 3.5 hours of play time on battery from the couch....on battery!

Finally, Comixology for the win!

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greyelf » Wed, 16Jan20 22:07

Wolfschadowe wrote:Finally, Comixology for the win!
Looks like a great site to purchase digital versions of newly released comics.

My personal issue is that I already own a large number of old physical comics and I don't believe I should have to pay full price again (sometimes a lot more than I originally paid) for something I already own just to format shift.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby Mimailia » Thu, 16Jan21 11:20

Greyelf wrote:. . . and I don't believe I should have to pay full price again (sometimes a lot more than I originally paid) for something I already own just to format shift.

Well Said! (That's why I hate the music industry.)

M
I can't figure out how to use the signature!
Mimailia
star of the reef

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Jan21 16:10

I've bought a LOT of comics on comixology, but they have so many sales that I rarely pay more than 99 cents a comic. Because they're digital with no per unit cost, it's finically viable for them to eventually put them on sale for that ridiculously low price. I just have to be patient and wait. Even my favorite comic in the word (Morning Glories) eventually goes on sale (previous volumes go on sale when a new one comes out). So while I'm behind, I'm not paying much. That said, I haven't bought anything I have in paper format, even though I find reading on my surfacebook screen to be better in all ways than reading on paper.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Mortze » Thu, 16Jan21 16:47

I never was a core comic books fan reader. We simply didn't have much comics in my country, or at least, not with any logical translated sequency. Most of them came with like a year later from USA publishing. Nothing like nowadays with internet.
I'm trying now to follow my best superhero; Batman (Frank Miller's). Of all the superheros there are out there he is my favorite, nothing much because of him per se, but because of Gotham and its vilains. Decadent and noir.

But it's really cool to read on my hybrid tablet, in bed, at night. Since I don't sleep alone anymore, the tablets have saved my bed readings. No need to read with the night lamp on anymore. Or play naughty games... :p
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Greyelf » Thu, 16Jan21 23:01

tlaero wrote:I've bought a LOT of comics on comixology, but they have so many sales that I rarely pay more than 99 cents a comic.
I look forward to seeing if future sales contain the comics I'm interested in. When I was young I mostly bought/traded my comics from a second hand book seller which had a trade-in scheme which lowered the price to around 3-5 cents a comic (a new comic was around 30-50 cents), which allowed me to read a lot of comics! lol

Mortze wrote:... like a year later from USA publishing ...
Originally we had a similar issue here Down Under, when the release delay was reduced we exchanged that problem with the Australia Tax one. (a US released comic could cost up to 300% the original US price) Around 15-20yrs ago I stopped buying new comics because the price difference became too much when I was buying 30+ comics a release cycle (mostly monthly)
Greyelf
star of the reef

Previous

Return to The workshop of creators