Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator main thread

Postby tlaero » Thu, 15Nov26 22:44

I just uploaded version 6.9.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Mostly stuff I did to optimize my workflow for the game I'm working on, plus a feature for Kexter.

Changes in 6.9

You can now use double quotes in onclicks and AC will convert them to single quotes for you. No more remembering where you can do varPlus1("happy") and where you need to do varPlus1('happy') instead.

You can now put double quotes in hit target titles.

GameView will scroll to show newly added files if it needs to.

Hitting "Set Current AC Image" in Image Viewer returns focus to the main AC window.

Added the ability to configure a script that gets run whenever a file is saved. Configured through the "Configure Editors" dialog box.

Streamlined the UI a bit. Removed most tab stops, leaving only the ones used frequently. Removed the option to show the AdvancedUI. (Pretty sure no one used it. Contact me if you were relying on it.) Moved "Show Game View" back to the top of the Edit menu. (I was never able to get used to it not being there.)

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Mortze » Thu, 15Nov26 23:26

Cool!
Although it will only make changes in
tlaero wrote:GameView will scroll to show newly added files if it needs to.
in my case :p
The rest I don't understand or use. Mostly don't understand.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Fri, 15Nov27 00:39

The main thing is this. You click in the Filename box and type the next file. Then you hit TAB. That now takes you directly to the Toptext box. You type the toptext. Alt-Tab brings you to the image viewer where you use the arrow keys and enter to choose next image and set current ac image. That brings you back to the toptext box. You type there, hit tab a few times and you're in the says, where you can type the next htm, tab twice, and type the thing he says. Then a few shift tabs and you're back to the filename where you can start the next page. For pages without a hit target, I now write them without using the mouse.

The other one you may like is if you ever accidentally typed varPlus1("happy") with double quotes instead of single quotes, it'll fix them for you...

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby kexter » Fri, 15Nov27 02:59

Thanks Tlaero!

I noticed that the arguments are not passed as I expected it at first, I mean the path to the current page is always passed as an extra parameter (I think it goes pre-arguments, current-page, post-arguments). I can see that it could be actually useful to know the page being saved, so it's a nice surprise. But it's broken as the path is not in quotes - so if the path has spaces in it then it breaks up into multiple parameters.
If you save the following as "test.bat" and then configure AC to call it on save, then you can quickly see what I'm talking about:
Code: Select all
@echo off
echo Arguments: %*
echo 1st param: %1
echo 2nd param: %2
echo 3rd param: %3
pause
What I would expect is that if I specify the pre-argument to be "--only" and the post-argument to be "--verbose" for example then this batch file should print:
Arguments: --only "X:\path with spaces\example.htm" --verbose
1st param: --only
2nd param: "X:\path with spaces\example.htm"
3rd param: --verbose
Anyway, I'm not using arguments at the moment so it's not super important for me.

tlaero wrote:You can now use double quotes in onclicks and AC will convert them to single quotes for you.
Is it just Replace("\"", "'")? Because that could cause unexpected problems. I can only think of a very artificial example where for some reason the onclick has a call like: setCustomSomething("He's", "They're"); why not just escape the double quotes instead of converting them to single quotes. Replace("\"", "\\\"");
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Fri, 15Nov27 03:51

You could put a double quote in the pre and post arguments. That would give you quotes around the filename.

As for the double quotes in the onclick, I originally escaped them, but ran into trouble somewhere (but I'm drawing a blank on where). Maybe one of the browsers didn't like it? When I saw an issue, though, I realized it would be simpler to just convert to single quotes, which all of the browsers support. I guess if that turns out to be a problem, I can go back to escaping the double quotes. The code is still there.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Mortze » Fri, 15Nov27 13:57

tlaero wrote:The other one you may like is if you ever accidentally typed varPlus1("happy") with double quotes instead of single quotes, it'll fix them for you...

I do like those kind of attentions :p
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Sun, 15Dec20 02:56

Could the people who use AdventureCreator do me a favor and try out a version that I just uploaded?
edit I've removed this link and no longer need anyone to check this. The official version of AC is now this way.

Help->About lists this as version 6.9a.
It's functionally identical to version 6.9, but uses a later version of .net. All I need you to do is download it, extract it, and try to run it. If it starts, that's all I need to know.

If it complains about you not having a version of .net and asks if you want to install one, go ahead. If you can't get it to work at all, please let me know that as well. I'd like to move off of .net 3.5 (what it's used in the past) but I don't know if there are os versions that don't support the newer version.

Please let me know how it goes. If no one reports having any trouble and I switch to the new version, it'll be had to go back.

Thanks,
Tlaero
Last edited by tlaero on Tue, 15Dec29 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
tlaero

Postby Mortze » Sun, 15Dec20 03:41

Seems to work well with me.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby kexter » Sun, 15Dec20 11:50

I've checked it too - no problems encountered. Also as you can see in the tables here, the latest .NET Framework (4.6.1) is installable on Windows 7 SP1 and up.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Mon, 15Dec21 23:12

Thanks guys.

Moving forward, I'll use the later .net.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Macster » Sat, 15Dec26 01:47

Hi Tlaero,

I have apparently found an error. When using your app (v. 6.9a), I get this error message:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
   at System.String.Remove(Int32 startIndex)
   at AdventureCreator.HeaderDataBar.get_TopText()
   at AdventureCreator.AdventureCreator.ConvertTemplateToUserHTML(String strTemplate)
   at AdventureCreator.AdventureCreator.HandleSave(Boolean doUpdate)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AdventureCreator
    Assembly Version: 2.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.5.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///F:/Fun/Naughty/TLearo/Getting%20To%20Know%20Christine/files/AdventureCreator.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34250 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34262 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34239 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
Accessibility
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34230 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

This seems to occur when I leave the table entries clear, have at least 3 area clicks to select a particular action and then try to save it. It is in the saving that I get this error message. Also the HTML file doesn't get saved either. I have found a way to get around this, but it is somewhat long and cumbersome. Can you fix?

Thanks... =)

Ps. Also when I try to open a similar file, I get a warning message saying, "StartIndex cannot be less than zero" and I am not able to see the Area Clicks in the photo area. When trying to save this file again I get that error message listed up above.
Macster
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Sat, 15Dec26 04:23

Hi Macster. It so happens that I was playing with something last night and came across this same bug. I inadvertently added this when I put in the code that removes extraneous <br> from the TopText. The easy workaround for the moment is to make sure the TopText (the four line box titled "Text" above the picture) has more than 4 characters in it. In the case I stumbled across, I had 3, so I added two spaces at the end. Hopefully that keeps you going until I fix it for real.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Macster » Sat, 15Dec26 06:59

You know that does make sense. I notice this too, but I just thought it had to do with something way more complex... After all it couldn't have been something so simple as too short of a text string. LOL! :crazy:

Thanks. I will now hide my head in shame...
Macster
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Sat, 15Dec26 17:45

Um, it's a bug I added, and it took me stepping through with the debugger to figure out what was wrong. If anyone should be hanging her head in shame, it's me.

I'm in the process of migrating to a new computer (got a SurfaceBook) so I might not get this fixed for a bit. The actual fix is pretty easy, but things are currently torn apart and not ready for me to put them back together. Hopefully, knowing about the toptext limitation will let you get by until I get things straightened out here.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Mortze » Sat, 15Dec26 19:11

tlaero wrote:(got a SurfaceBook)

I see Santa saw you have been a good girl this year. :D
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext