Redemption for Jessika (En, Sp, Fr, It, Ge)

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Redemption for Jessika

Postby jk103 » Mon, 16Feb29 07:06

LRM wrote:
jk103 wrote:
tlaero wrote:Thanks, folks. I'm glad to hear that some men connected with Marc. I'm not sure if I should read something into the fact that the people who were so down on him haven't suggested anything he should have done differently. Maybe just RfJ fatigue.

Tlaero

Since you seem opposed to adding any more interactivity to the game I won't belabor that point any more. I think I must have does a poor job explaining myself, but I think if I try to press the point any longer I'm just going to look like an asshole.

My only other advice would be to give the protagonist some motivation other than pleasing the romantic interest. Let Marc some goals and interests and motivations that aren't related to Jessika and making Jessika happy.

That ends in... No nooky for you? Not a great choice IMO.

Why wouldn't it? Marc can want Jessika and also want other things. Why does his entire existence have to revolve around Jessika? Even before he meets her he's obsessed with Jessika.
jk103
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby Hoboy » Mon, 16Feb29 08:32

For God sakes people - Let This Go. Let the creators make their next game. I think the Marc "strong" vs "weak" has been beaten to death. Interactivity is a choice, but Not mandatory. I thought muttdoggy's reply to be a most eloquent way of expressing just how this scenario works, for many - if not most - people. These games are made for our enjoyment, and for the enjoyment of the creators. Making something perfect in one person's eyes can (or will) make it slightly less perfect in another's. Please - let's let this go and let them create [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

PS - just looked back through the thread for "Getting to know Christine" and the protagonist Adrian was criticized as weak and self-deprecating and - it's still at the top of Play Force One's list after five years. Guess this does work for some people...
Last edited by Hoboy on Thu, 16Mar03 07:38, edited 2 times in total.
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby Eriko » Mon, 16Feb29 11:44

Hey guys i know there a few ppl on here who think marc is a passive and weak guy, and you might be right to a degree but it is an accurate representation of his character in my opinion. Let me explain why.

Now Marc in the game is a Court transcriber where he works i'm guessing say 9-5 5 days a week and he's been doing it for years, now there is 2 primarily roles of a court transcriber and they are :1 to copy everything said and :2 to be as invisible as possible.

now if your trying to be invisible the majority of your working time most of the week for years it is entirely natural that those actions would start to carry over into your personal life and you would become a sort of reserved shy and a kinda go with the flow type person.

then take into account of suddenly meeting your idol and the girl you have a major crush on, and it would be again natural that you would want to help her any way possible and that you to a degree would feel awed and as you become friends and get closer to jess you would feel like this is a dream and that you would not want to risk doing anything that would damage what is happening. it would be natural to get swept up in what happens in the game and with the sort of character that Marc is he would just sort of go with the flow.

Now i don't know if Tlareo had this in mind when she made Marc and the story that's a question only she can answer.

But Tlareo in my opinion has actually done a very very good job of depicting the kind of guy that Marc would become giving the job he's been doing for years, and as he spends more time with jess through the game he does grow and comes out of his shell slightly but in reality that would be a process that could take years,

As for the lesbian sex scene at the beginning it is a little out of character i'm not saying he would not sit through it as most single guys would feel aroused by something like that happening in front of them, but he would feel a lot more uncomfortable then he does, it is not in his character to get angry at the way he has been treated by Sarah, if anything the person who should be angry at Sarah for treating Marc poorly is Sylivia that is if she cares for Marc as a friend as much as she lets on.

I personally love RfJ i rate it as being the best game in this genre i've ever played followed closely by DwE and Pandora and i think that Tlerao and Mortze are the best Writers and Developers of these sort of game's currently in the world, and i trust that they will continue to keep astounding me with there future offering's.

Thank you very much Tlerao and Mortze
Eriko
Pilot fish

Postby Siske » Mon, 16Feb29 19:37

Eriko wrote:Hey guys i know there a few ppl on here who think marc is a passive and weak guy, and you might be right to a degree but it is an accurate representation of his character in my opinion. Let me explain why.

Now Marc in the game is a Court transcriber where he works i'm guessing say 9-5 5 days a week and he's been doing it for years, now there is 2 primarily roles of a court transcriber and they are :1 to copy everything said and :2 to be as invisible as possible.

now if your trying to be invisible the majority of your working time most of the week for years it is entirely natural that those actions would start to carry over into your personal life and you would become a sort of reserved shy and a kinda go with the flow type person.

then take into account of suddenly meeting your idol and the girl you have a major crush on, and it would be again natural that you would want to help her any way possible and that you to a degree would feel awed and as you become friends and get closer to jess you would feel like this is a dream and that you would not want to risk doing anything that would damage what is happening. it would be natural to get swept up in what happens in the game and with the sort of character that Marc is he would just sort of go with the flow.

Now i don't know if Tlareo had this in mind when she made Marc and the story that's a question only she can answer.

But Tlareo in my opinion has actually done a very very good job of depicting the kind of guy that Marc would become giving the job he's been doing for years, and as he spends more time with jess through the game he does grow and comes out of his shell slightly but in reality that would be a process that could take years,

As for the lesbian sex scene at the beginning it is a little out of character i'm not saying he would not sit through it as most single guys would feel aroused by something like that happening in front of them, but he would feel a lot more uncomfortable then he does, it is not in his character to get angry at the way he has been treated by Sarah, if anything the person who should be angry at Sarah for treating Marc poorly is Sylivia that is if she cares for Marc as a friend as much as she lets on.

I personally love RfJ i rate it as being the best game in this genre i've ever played followed closely by DwE and Pandora and i think that Tlerao and Mortze are the best Writers and Developers of these sort of game's currently in the world, and i trust that they will continue to keep astounding me with there future offering's.

Thank you very much Tlerao and Mortze

Well said :D
Siske
Pilot fish

Postby mrfluffy84 » Wed, 16Mar02 04:44

Tlerao and Mortze,

I just wanted to thank you for the awesome game. Probably one of the more realistic games I have ever played. Yes, you welcome criticism along with praise, but wow...some folks here took it just a bit over the top.

I know you're working on the next game with Miranda...but we wouldn't mind a sequal to RfJ...it's...yeah...amazing.

And yes...there are links to some Halestorm songs towards the end...but seriously...who is the giant Halestorm fan? This whole game reads like their album 'The Strange Case of..."

Not that I mind...great band for sure...and you can easily pick which songs belong to which scenes in the game. ;)

Keep up the great work...and thanks again.
mrfluffy84
Pilot fish

Postby TheFerry » Wed, 16Mar02 16:40

mrfluffy84 wrote:I know you're working on the next game with Miranda...but we wouldn't mind a sequal to RfJ...it's...yeah...amazing.

It would be awesome to have some kinda "Where Are They Now?" game, with all the characters of the previous game.
But that would kinda be a lotta work!
But it would be awesome :P
https://yareel.com?referral_id=14998
TheFerry
great white shark

Postby montybet » Thu, 16Mar03 01:05

TheFerry wrote:
mrfluffy84 wrote:I know you're working on the next game with Miranda...but we wouldn't mind a sequal to RfJ...it's...yeah...amazing.

It would be awesome to have some kinda "Where Are They Now?" game, with all the characters of the previous game.
But that would kinda be a lotta work!
But it would be awesome :P

You know Elsa appearing on RfJ, girls with powers, bad guys trying to take advantages of their powers, the blind woman saying there is some kind of organization behind them and Jessica joining against them ummm... It looks like there will be a final game with many characters fighting that organization. Or maybe a secuel for each one where each pair take its part fighting the organization XD
montybet
great white shark

Postby Hoboy » Thu, 16Mar03 07:04

Come on - have a full Elsa/Jessika/Miranda team Avengers-like final episode! Have all team members involved! Defeat the Big Evil! Go Epic!

PS - just having fun - I love where all this is going, and am having fun following all this...hope I didn't go over the top...
Hoboy
lagoon predator

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Mar03 07:28

Hoboy wrote:PS - just having fun - I love where all this is going, and am having fun following all this...hope I didn't go over the top...

Not at all. When people saw Xara after the Credits in RfJ I absolutely expected them to say, "OMG, she's doing the Avengers." It's not quite like that, of course. If it were, then the game after Finding Miranda would be one where you date Elsa, Jessica, and Miranda. Spoiler Alert, that's not the case. (-: But we're definitely driving toward a showdown with Xara's adversary, and many of the characters in these games will be involved in said showdown.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Mar03 07:35

mrfluffy84 wrote:I just wanted to thank you for the awesome game. Probably one of the more realistic games I have ever played. Yes, you welcome criticism along with praise, but wow...some folks here took it just a bit over the top.
And yes...there are links to some Halestorm songs towards the end...but seriously...who is the giant Halestorm fan? This whole game reads like their album 'The Strange Case of..."

Thanks mrfluffy. You mean "Into The Wild Life." (-:
I find Halestorm's music to be catchy and enjoyable, if a bit simple, but O.M.F.G can Lzzy ever sing. If you told me her voice was laced with magic, I wouldn't be surprised.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Thu, 16Mar03 08:19

jk103 wrote:Since you seem opposed to adding any more interactivity to the game

I'm not angry that people don't understand this. It's actually something that's pretty unique to writers and coders, of which I'm both, and isn't true in most other fields. Since most people don't live it, like I do, it's just not clear. So I'll try to explain it again.

Say you were to go to a mechanical engineer and say, "I want you to make a car that can get a million miles to the gallon." He'd just say, "Can't. Physics."
Say you were to go to an architect and say, "I want you to make a building as tall as the moon." He'd shrug and say, "Can't. Physics."
Say you were to go to an electrical engineer and say, "I want you to make a phone that fits in my pocket but has batteries that last a thousand years on a single charge." He'd look sad and say, "Can't. Physics."

But, say you were to go to a game developer and say, "I want you to put in a thousand separate paths, each governed by my choices." She can do that. Unlike in the other examples, Physics doesn't stop her. What stops her is tradeoffs. Tradeoffs are hard to understand. People see an option and think, "It would be easy to do that," and they're right. The trouble is that there a million other things that are equally easy. Writers and coders need to pick which of those things to do. Because while physics doesn't stop us, time does.

It's not that I'm opposed to adding interactivity to the game. It's that interactivity adds pages, and pages cost time. Here's the kind of decision I faced. Should I:
1) Release RfJ the way I did in February of 2016
2) Release RfJ with twice as much interactivity in February of 2016, but with a total story that ends at the elevator sex scene
3) Release RfJ with twice as much interactivity, with the full RfJ story, but not until February of 2017

This is a rhetorical question. I know the right answer.

But I understand that most people do not work in fields where the only limiting factor is time. When working in a field where physics limits you, I'm sure something as free and simple as time doesn't seem like much of a limiting factor. But try it some time. Spend 6 months writing a game. When you're done, ask yourself, "What's stopping me from making this game twice as long?" It's not physics. And it's not laziness, because when you finish you're going to start writing another one. What's stopping you is that your fans would really like to play your game. So you've got to trade off the benefit they'll get by doubling the length of the game to give them another set of options vs the benefit they'll get by playing it now instead of a year from now (or ten years from now if you add enough options).

Every one of these "add more interactivity" suggestions is really either, "Please give us less story" or "Please make us wait longer to get to play." Those are fine suggestions, and there are games being developed that are following those suggestions. The developers of those games, though, have people suggesting that they get the game done sooner. There's no absolute right answer with tradeoffs.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby jk103 » Thu, 16Mar03 09:16

I don't think my suggestion earlier was nearly as much work as you're implying. If you write out the branching path late in the game, I doubt it would be any more work than the lewd path in RfJ. The key difference is that Marc chooses the path he's on, rather than getting thrown out of the good path by someone else.

It was my mistake in the first place to frame it as a question of more or less interactivity. A game is by definition interactive, and if you truly didn't want interactivity, you'd stick a "next" button in place of the dialog choices and call it a short story. My point is more about understanding what the game mechanics you've implemented say about your characters and your story. In RfJ, the player gets to pick what Marc says. If Jessika approves, your score goes up and you get to move on. If Jessika disapproves, you fail and have to try again. The motivation behind every decision is solely, "will this make Jessika like Marc more?" The result is that Marc becomes sort of a sycophant who only seeks Jessika's approval, and I think that's why some people reacted negatively to his character.
jk103
great white shark

Postby muttdoggy » Thu, 16Mar03 09:33

I understand the trade off between interactivity and content. Focusing on one can reduce the other. Adding more of both results in a larger file size and longer wait. The trick is to get the right balance for the story you're telling. Some stories are episodic, some are interconnected worlds, and some are epics. Of course you can break up the episodes and the worlds and get quicker releases whereas the epic stories take years. Overwhored by Cypress_Z is a great example of a nearly finished epic. Its been developing for over 5 years and it's over 600 megabytes unzipped without the rpg maker runtime package included. By the way, you're lucky Cypress_Z releases it the way he does AND for free.
When it comes to creating any game a creator has to come up with a concept and then flesh out a goal. That's not easy for most if not all of us. Ever heard of writer's block??? That happens all the time. Now remember that it's the creator's choice as to how long or short it is. If they ask you for input AT ALL - you better thank your lucky stars. When it comes to adding interactivity, think about this analogy.. On a table you have a storyboard with choices represented by 3x5 notecards spread out over the table. Any time you add a SINGLE notecard, you have rearrange the cards that follow that and then recalculate and recode it so the engine recognizes just ONE choice. It's a pain in the ass to do that. There is also coder's block to consider, too. In my humble opinion, I believe that Tlaero and Mortze and many of the creators here do strike the right balance (or close to it) of interactivity, size, content, and graphics in their games.
Tlaero, Mortze, and many of the wonderful people on this site are nice enough to ask for input on their creations that they so lovingly give to us to enjoy. Remember, their games are their babies that they spent money on and worked really hard on. They have sacrificed some of their personal lives and they are even willing to cut their precious babies up for us so we like it just a little bit more. If we need to give constructive criticism please be specific and remind yourself that it's a game and it's someone else's creation that they gave away. Give them props. Give them love. Beg for more. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

*Had to edit because someone pointed out that some of my initializing doesn't translate well into other languages that many of you use.*
I'm guilty of using slang, abbreviations, phrases, and odd sayings. So if you don't understand my message, please ask me for clarification. I will gladly respond and try to make my messages understood.
Last edited by muttdoggy on Fri, 16Mar04 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
muttdoggy
lagoon predator

Postby Angus » Thu, 16Mar03 11:17

I just want to send my deepest regards and respect for this game. It is by far the best erotic game I have ever played. The story is trustworthy even though it contains the fantasy element of hooking up with a celebrity. It's unpredictable and even funny sometimes. And incredibly arousing from time to time. Thx a lot! I've made a donation to show my appreciation.

Best
/a
Angus
Pilot fish

Postby Greyelf » Thu, 16Mar03 13:08

jk103 wrote:In RfJ, the player gets to pick what Marc says. If Jessika approves, your score goes up and you get to move on. If Jessika disapproves, you fail and have to try again. The motivation behind every decision is solely, "will this make Jessika like Marc more?" The result is that Marc becomes sort of a sycophant who only seeks Jessika's approval, and I think that's why some people reacted negatively to his character.

I think the name of the game "Redemption for Jessika" implies that the game is not about Marc at all although it is seen from his Point-of-View, that the game is about Jessika and her potential redemption. If that assumption is correct then it follows that it makes sense that the 'good path' would include Marc doing thing that helps Jessika find redemption rather than things that furthers his own goals if they are contrary to her needs.
Greyelf
star of the reef

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games