Beach Party by Pusooy

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Beach Party by Pusooy

Postby redle » Sat, 12Jun23 00:12

I like how everyone is so committed for or against Pusooy and his games. Why does the internet seem to wipe out all the shades of grey in between?

First on capitalism: Pusooy most certainly has gone the way of capitalism. I'm not debating the pros and cons of capitalism. The point is, he decided he has a talent, and he'd like to get paid to employee it. I did enjoy your implication, Greebo, that $10 is not a significant enough donation on the part of those wishing to become elite ("...if you're feeling mean"). I believe that amount gets one, what is it, 6 months? Six months is roughly the time it takes Pusooy for each new release (maybe occasionally he runs closer to 4 with his new methodology). So for $10 you get roughly 30 minutes to 1 hour of new game play. While that's not exorbitant, nor is it a discount rate. Anyone can easily go online and purchase game apps for $1-10 from indie developers all over the world. As one starts drifting into the $20-40 range for games, most people expect hours and hours of gameplay. He has also continued to withhold his later Farmer's Daughter creations for the purposes of getting more people to pay rather than wait for them to become free.

And I don't want to hear how older titles add to the 30-60 minute game-play hours. Old games quickly lose their value. Walk into any software store and look at the bargain bin of software. Plus, even if one counted the old games as bonus, this is a subscription service. The plan is for people to pay more than once. Future payments have no new old-games to add bonus play.

All that being said, Pusooy does spend time and money producing something. That something is fairly unique and enjoyable. Whether he wants to share it freely with others, ask those that enjoy it to reward his time and effort, or keep them completely to himself, it is his right and privilege to decide. I'm not knocking the guy for it. Just don't try telling me he's a noble Saint that we all should emulate.

Moving away from the money aspect, to the comment from fusdarii about advertising. This is a games forum (a sexy games forum at that). It's nice to hear about all such games. Granted it is also nice to have a place to look where I can expect to find free stuff to play around with. Pusooy does make it more problematic as he continues to be unclear on if/when things will be free. One could always suggest to shark to make a separate thread grouping for pay games.

Lastly I suppose that leaves Eligarf's commentary on Pusooy's games. He brings up a couple points. One is the reaction/commentary of other players to the games. In truth, most people are not good game reviewers. When it comes to adult games of the type Pusooy makes I find the tendency of snap decisions towards like/dislike to be even more pronounced. Most of the commentary is based on how sexy the sexiest screen shot was and how much did I like the specific fetish(es) he choose to use this time. Those aren't always the points the speakers bring up, but if you pursue their thoughts and listen to the underlying trends, those are the base causes.

Those commentaries actually tie directly into Eligarf's other main point, that of playability. I have seen too many times people be annoyed, frustrated, and just plain angry for hours at a time and it flip instantly at the sight of a reward. The person goes on their way and talks about the wonderfulness of the reward. Oh, how it all could have been so much more wonderful. If only I could have gotten the reward, but the previous time been enjoyable, or at least progressing. Might as well go with some specifics.

Text bubbles: sometimes they progress on their own, sometimes players must mouse over them. Consistency would be nice. Also, mousing over is a poor choice. A keyboard button or mouse click to advance would be much better, especially when I'm controlling a man's arm and so he reaches up and around in odd ways as I move my cursor up to deal with the text. Oh, and now that the text is gone, I need my mouse back where I had it to keep using his arm, only my cursor is now up where the bubble was.

Next, having something to control, but not knowing what to do with it is infinitely better than not knowing what to control. Say there are 2 people on screen. I think the next thing to happen is the person on the left needs to stand up. I move my mouse around a little but nothing is moving yet. Ok, let me try mousing near their head and pulling them up. No, ok, maybe the other person should ask them to stand. Mouse over other person's mouth (no action). Ok, first person's waist (nothing). Right person's hand? maybe they will pull left person up (still nothing). Back, shoulders, feet... okay, still nothing. Just start blinding moving the mouse over the screen and hope something happens. Oh, hey, right person's right hand started moving. Dang, I guess I only did try their left hand. What do you know, right person grabs left persons shoulder and they stand up. (Note, it could have just as easily been that touching the head [my first action] was correct, but that I was supposed to move down for the person to lie down instead of stand up. Feedback to the player is always king) Currently Pusooy's technique to deal with such a situation is if enough people have problems here, put in an arrow to say "grab this hand here". It would be much better for the mouse to already have control of the hand without finding the trigger pixels. Ok, I need to make this guy's hand do something. Among other things, having that hand moving tells me that the game isn't loading or frozen. I am causing something to happen, this hand is moving around.

To be honest, I don't think it is so much an issue of losing focus on playability. Pusooy's creation, control, and manipulation of graphics has gone up leaps and bounds beyond where he began. I think he creates a theme, then a story, much of the artwork, and then builds the game into that framework. Some of the scenes afford playability and some do not. And by expansion, each game has a mix of more and less playable scenes. As with any artist, the question of trade-offs is a frequent burden. The playable scenes stay as is, and to what extent do I scrap scenes, stories, and art, to which I'm not finding a smooth means of play. Pusooy seems to tend to stick more firmly to the original plan. A one-man development team also suffers from the difficulty of, it all makes sense to me all the time because I'm the one who made it work this way. Difficult parts are often found very late in development making it that much more time consuming to redo.

As for some of the backlash went towards Pusooy and his games (not that there is tons, but there certainly is some on his elite service change), I do think it was quite a bit stronger because of the fact that as elite was brought online, there was much promising of the content coming soon to those unable/unwilling to pay. Such delivery to the free public was delayed, delayed some more, and then mostly taken completely away. People are free to argue justifications one way or the other. Bottom line is, people feel once they are promised something, they have a right to that something. The unfulfilled promise is responsible for a lot of the negativity.

If I understand Pusooy's plan correctly, I think he plans to continue developing games in 3-4 parts. As part 1 of new series is complete and in elite for a short time, it will be released to the general public. Parts 2 and beyond will stay elite as they come online. Basically part 1 becomes the free teaser-trial to entice members that they want his product. But it has sounded like once an entire new series comes to conclusion, Pusooy will then consider releasing all of the previous series.

And that's far too long of a post, so I'm off for now...
redle
star of the reef

Postby fusdarii » Sat, 12Jun23 00:18

TheBrain wrote:
Greebo wrote:Puso isn't fully capitalist by any means! You can become an Elite member for the equivalent of just $10 if you're feeling mean. Like shark, puso is a part timer as far as games are concerned, and they both need money to support their websites and servers -- they aren't millionaires like Mark Shuttleworth, the entrepreneur who supports the free Linux distro, Ubuntu, and his company, Canonical, funds the distro by selling service contracts. How would you fund the sites of our two game makers from an ordinary income and with a normal family to support? Why should they pay for our penny pinching?

[...]
That's not to say I don't understand that he would want to make some money off of his talent. But, given that the description of this forum is "You found a free sexy game on the Web, share it with the buddies", I get fusdarii's point that Puso's new games really aren't free anymore.

Thank you, you got my point [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]

The guy is free to do whatever he wants with is creations of course, but there is no reason he should get free advertising since he decided not to give some free stuff anymore.

I don't know anything about him, if that is just a hobby or his full time job, but here is the thing:
when he was producing free games, people who could afford it had the choice to support him to help him run his site and thus building a friendly community and get free links from forums that might bring you new donors.

The moment you decide that only paying people are worth of your work, you become a company, a business, and should expect to be treated accordingly.

Like TheBrain said, the forum topic specifies :
"You found a free sexy game on the Web, share it with the buddies"

I'm not trying to be a d*ck, I only think it's fair game.

gamebp wrote:That's not exactly what i meant.
[...]

Sorry I misunderstood.
fusdarii
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Postby Greebo » Sat, 12Jun23 01:08

I don't know whether puso has actually changed his approach to the extent of not planning to release all parts of the latest multi-part games eventually, and I suspect no one else does either. Both he and shark delay releasing to the free pool nowadays, and presumably this is to encourage us to dip into our pockets, since we were so reluctant to assist the funding of the sites in the past. I have contributed in the past when there was no extra games incentive to do so, but I know that I was in a minority and also that our favourite games designers were suffering as a result.

I haven't anted up for a long time but I probably shall do so sooner rather than later because I think they are both to be encouraged, though I hope shark doesn't mind it when I say that puso's deal looks to be better value than his because of the longer time the investment lasts! On the other hand there are other attractions in the lagoon because of contributing lagooners.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 12Jun23 01:27

I'll not engage in the financial motivations of Shark and Pusooy but since I have been engaged with recent Shark games I can assure you that within days of a new game gaining our overall approval (and sometimes with some linguistic versions lagging) it appears in the Priv-Box with its predecessor being made public. With Shark the time between projects varies due to length, complexity, sometimes agreement on text and edits. Oh, there is also the amount of his leisure time that Shark is able to give.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby jfrancois323 » Sat, 12Jun23 02:17

redle wrote:I like how everyone is so committed for or against Pusooy and his games. Why does the internet seem to wipe out all the shades of grey in between?

First on capitalism: Pusooy most certainly has gone the way of capitalism. I'm not debating the pros and cons of capitalism. The point is, he decided he has a talent, and he'd like to get paid to employee it. I did enjoy your implication, Greebo, that $10 is not a significant enough donation on the part of those wishing to become elite ("...if you're feeling mean"). I believe that amount gets one, what is it, 6 months? Six months is roughly the time it takes Pusooy for each new release (maybe occasionally he runs closer to 4 with his new methodology). So for $10 you get roughly 30 minutes to 1 hour of new game play. While that's not exorbitant, nor is it a discount rate. Anyone can easily go online and purchase game apps for $1-10 from indie developers all over the world. As one starts drifting into the $20-40 range for games, most people expect hours and hours of gameplay. He has also continued to withhold his later Farmer's Daughter creations for the purposes of getting more people to pay rather than wait for them to become free.

And I don't want to hear how older titles add to the 30-60 minute game-play hours. Old games quickly lose their value. Walk into any software store and look at the bargain bin of software. Plus, even if one counted the old games as bonus, this is a subscription service. The plan is for people to pay more than once. Future payments have no new old-games to add bonus play.

All that being said, Pusooy does spend time and money producing something. That something is fairly unique and enjoyable. Whether he wants to share it freely with others, ask those that enjoy it to reward his time and effort, or keep them completely to himself, it is his right and privilege to decide. I'm not knocking the guy for it. Just don't try telling me he's a noble Saint that we all should emulate.

Moving away from the money aspect, to the comment from fusdarii about advertising. This is a games forum (a sexy games forum at that). It's nice to hear about all such games. Granted it is also nice to have a place to look where I can expect to find free stuff to play around with. Pusooy does make it more problematic as he continues to be unclear on if/when things will be free. One could always suggest to shark to make a separate thread grouping for pay games.

Lastly I suppose that leaves Eligarf's commentary on Pusooy's games. He brings up a couple points. One is the reaction/commentary of other players to the games. In truth, most people are not good game reviewers. When it comes to adult games of the type Pusooy makes I find the tendency of snap decisions towards like/dislike to be even more pronounced. Most of the commentary is based on how sexy the sexiest screen shot was and how much did I like the specific fetish(es) he choose to use this time. Those aren't always the points the speakers bring up, but if you pursue their thoughts and listen to the underlying trends, those are the base causes.

Those commentaries actually tie directly into Eligarf's other main point, that of playability. I have seen too many times people be annoyed, frustrated, and just plain angry for hours at a time and it flip instantly at the sight of a reward. The person goes on their way and talks about the wonderfulness of the reward. Oh, how it all could have been so much more wonderful. If only I could have gotten the reward, but the previous time been enjoyable, or at least progressing. Might as well go with some specifics.

Text bubbles: sometimes they progress on their own, sometimes players must mouse over them. Consistency would be nice. Also, mousing over is a poor choice. A keyboard button or mouse click to advance would be much better, especially when I'm controlling a man's arm and so he reaches up and around in odd ways as I move my cursor up to deal with the text. Oh, and now that the text is gone, I need my mouse back where I had it to keep using his arm, only my cursor is now up where the bubble was.

Next, having something to control, but not knowing what to do with it is infinitely better than not knowing what to control. Say there are 2 people on screen. I think the next thing to happen is the person on the left needs to stand up. I move my mouse around a little but nothing is moving yet. Ok, let me try mousing near their head and pulling them up. No, ok, maybe the other person should ask them to stand. Mouse over other person's mouth (no action). Ok, first person's waist (nothing). Right person's hand? maybe they will pull left person up (still nothing). Back, shoulders, feet... okay, still nothing. Just start blinding moving the mouse over the screen and hope something happens. Oh, hey, right person's right hand started moving. Dang, I guess I only did try their left hand. What do you know, right person grabs left persons shoulder and they stand up. (Note, it could have just as easily been that touching the head [my first action] was correct, but that I was supposed to move down for the person to lie down instead of stand up. Feedback to the player is always king) Currently Pusooy's technique to deal with such a situation is if enough people have problems here, put in an arrow to say "grab this hand here". It would be much better for the mouse to already have control of the hand without finding the trigger pixels. Ok, I need to make this guy's hand do something. Among other things, having that hand moving tells me that the game isn't loading or frozen. I am causing something to happen, this hand is moving around.

To be honest, I don't think it is so much an issue of losing focus on playability. Pusooy's creation, control, and manipulation of graphics has gone up leaps and bounds beyond where he began. I think he creates a theme, then a story, much of the artwork, and then builds the game into that framework. Some of the scenes afford playability and some do not. And by expansion, each game has a mix of more and less playable scenes. As with any artist, the question of trade-offs is a frequent burden. The playable scenes stay as is, and to what extent do I scrap scenes, stories, and art, to which I'm not finding a smooth means of play. Pusooy seems to tend to stick more firmly to the original plan. A one-man development team also suffers from the difficulty of, it all makes sense to me all the time because I'm the one who made it work this way. Difficult parts are often found very late in development making it that much more time consuming to redo.

As for some of the backlash went towards Pusooy and his games (not that there is tons, but there certainly is some on his elite service change), I do think it was quite a bit stronger because of the fact that as elite was brought online, there was much promising of the content coming soon to those unable/unwilling to pay. Such delivery to the free public was delayed, delayed some more, and then mostly taken completely away. People are free to argue justifications one way or the other. Bottom line is, people feel once they are promised something, they have a right to that something. The unfulfilled promise is responsible for a lot of the negativity.

If I understand Pusooy's plan correctly, I think he plans to continue developing games in 3-4 parts. As part 1 of new series is complete and in elite for a short time, it will be released to the general public. Parts 2 and beyond will stay elite as they come online. Basically part 1 becomes the free teaser-trial to entice members that they want his product. But it has sounded like once an entire new series comes to conclusion, Pusooy will then consider releasing all of the previous series.

Shark's games stay in the Priv-Box for 4-6 months too, tell me what the difference is ?? i want to know more about what your point is (english is a secondary language). i do my best to understand.
jfrancois323
star of the reef

Postby Henrik » Sat, 12Jun23 02:17

gamebp wrote:
clawixp wrote:
Presumably in the "Elite" section of his site.

"elite ?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification

:sarcastic:

for persons not wriggling in the grip of an inferiority complex, "elite" is a word that normally carries a beneficial context.
Henrik
great white shark

Postby clawixp » Sat, 12Jun23 02:29

jfrancois323 wrote:
redle wrote:I like how everyone is so committed for or against Pusooy and his games. Why does the internet seem to wipe out all the shades of grey in between?

Shark's games stay in the Priv-Box for 4-6 months too, tell me what the difference is ?? i want to know more about what your point is (english is a secondary language). i do my best to understand.

The biggest difference is that Shark will release his games and their sequels to the public once he starts on a new one. Puso has implied that he isn't going to do this anymore and implies that he may release the first game of a series in order to entice people into paying for the rest of the series.
clawixp
great white shark

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 12Jun23 02:35

The biggest difference is that Shark will release his games and their sequels to the public once he starts on a new one. Puso has implied that he isn't going to do this anymore and implies that he may release the first game of a series in order to entice people into paying for the rest of the series.

That is not quite true. What Shark has in the Priv-Box stays until the new one displaces it. Then he begins work on a new one.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby clawixp » Sat, 12Jun23 02:41

Squeeky wrote:

That is not quite true. What Shark has in the Priv-Box stays until the new one displaces it. Then he begins work on a new one.

True, but the major point is that Shark plans on releasing all of his games to the public. As of now, Puso does not.
clawixp
great white shark

Postby Eligarf » Sat, 12Jun23 04:45

clawixp wrote:...If that's the way he plans on operating, that's his business.

But the quality and speed of his productions will have to increase if he wants to keep that model going.

I think this is correct, even if the quality of gameplay improves. $10 for 6 months is not a lot of money, but if you only see only one new game in that time, and it is unplayable because of an unecessarily overcomplicated UI, you are going to feel ripped off and you are not going to continue. Even if the games are good, if you only see one every six months you are going to question why you are paying for five months of nothing. Why not just charge by the game at that point? Alternatively, he could hire help...but then he wouldn't be making money anymore. What he is doing is not sustainable purely from a business standpoint.
Eligarf
sirens hunter

Postby Eligarf » Sat, 12Jun23 05:09

redle wrote:...To be honest, I don't think it is so much an issue of losing focus on playability. Pusooy's creation, control, and manipulation of graphics has gone up leaps and bounds beyond where he began....

Perhaps. But how is someone to know that without paying? As I said, if his most recent free efforts show a linear decrease in playability and content, people are going to use that to judge whether they want to pay or not because that is all they have to base a judgment on. With the exception of FD1, it is my opinion that they do show that. Maybe FD3 and FD4 are better. Maybe BP1 is as well. But I am not dropping what would have amounted to $30 to find out. It isn't worth it to me, based on the lameness of the Mummy series and the outright playability disaster that I found FD2 to be.

The only other thing that I would add to this discussion is that there is nothing to prevent someone from showing up two years from now and dropping $10 and getting access to all the games that someone who joined today would have dropped $40 for. That is not really fair, and is a disincentive to remain a loyal member. Yes the one who pays the whole time gets the games when they come out, but as infrequently as that is, the incentive to get it immediately is pretty superficial.

Again, I think pusooy has a great deal of talent at what he does, I appreciate him doing it, and I wish him all the success in the world! But at the same time I think he is making a lot of decisions that he will regret in the long run.
Eligarf
sirens hunter

Postby redle » Sat, 12Jun23 07:31

jfrancois323 wrote:Shark's games stay in the Priv-Box for 4-6 months too, tell me what the difference is ?? i want to know more about what your point is (english is a secondary language). i do my best to understand.

I was not comparing pusooy and shark. This thread has been mainly discussing pusooy. My main point with the 6 month comment was that pusooy's charge works out to roughly $10 per game (although the 4-6 month time period really does now seem to be for 1/3 - 1/4 of a game rather than a whole one, but still roughly 30-60 minutes of game-play).

And Eligarf, I totally agree that pusooy should work more on his playability. I just haven't noticed a continual downward slide. A high percentage of his games have at least 1 scene that causes a great deal of trouble. The percentage of each game that has issues seems to rise and fall rather randomly to me instead of each game getting worse. But I also haven't ever sat down and analyzed them fully enough, and perhaps there is one.

The waiting 2 years and dropping 1 donation to play 4 games I kind of brought up with the diminishing value of games. I wouldn't go shell out full price for pac-man. You can't sell halo 1 for the same price as halo 3 (although both could have gone for the same price on the first day each was released).
redle
star of the reef

Postby Decstarr » Sat, 12Jun23 09:28

About gameplay: Puso has really changed the style of the games a lot, starting with FD3. Right now, it is a lot more like interactive novels than actual "games". The frustrating find seek & click moments of older games are gone. It surely is different from other games, but personally, I just enjoy his graphics work a lot. To me, it is by far the best that I've seen so far.

About paying: I payed 20$ for a year membership (I would've done the same for shark, but unfortunately I do not own a credit card and it appears to be the only payment method here). FD3 was already online when I started my Elite membership (in January 2012), and since then FD4 and Beach Party have gone online. To me, it is a viable deal since the time I spend playing the games does not matter to me. The fun I have whilst playing it is a lot more important. I do not see any problem at all in choosing not to publish new games for free. I mean, of course it is sad for all those unwilling to pay a dime, but the game creators spend hours and hours of their time and let's face it: if you CAN make money out of something, why wouldn't you do it? Life is not a fairytale ;)
The strategy with the cliffhangers is absolutely viable (and with Beach Party, it will rock I guess since the cliffhanger is really cool imho :P). If you can find a way to attract more paying audience to support your "hobby", why not do so? Noone is forcing anyone to pay or play :)

Finally, sorry if I violated the definition of "free sexy game" of this forum. But I thought since other paysite games are advertized as well, it shouldn't be a problem. Plus I really thought that a lot of people who paid for a membership at puso's page prolly don't stop by there all the time. I did not try to attract more paying members for puso but merely to let the already paying members know that a new game is up!
Decstarr
sirens hunter

Postby Greebo » Sat, 12Jun23 10:13

clawixp wrote:True, but the major point is that Shark plans on releasing all of his games to the public. As of now, Puso does not.

Ah, I was unaware of this recent policy but now I see what you mean
Do the games that are only available to elite members become available to others too at some point?

{ Maybe way down the road, but for the most part no. The way it will be, the first and maybe second part of each series will eventually be free, but the rest will remain Elite. -puso}

I'm afraid this means that although I might visit puso's site and pay to sample his games, it is likely to be only very infrequently, like every couple of years or so as opposed to the regular visits I used to pay, whereas the lagoon will stay my favourite haunt.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby kessie8yl » Sat, 12Jun23 22:41

clawixp wrote:

I think a lot of the problem lies within the word "implies". Pussooy's efforts to communicate with his audience are only noticeable by their absence. Everything is based on guesswork and supposition. There is certainly no hint of a guarantee as to what you will get for your money. Some people may get 2 (or more, who knows?) new games or new instalments of a game being released in the period of their "Elite" membership - but I feel most will tend to get nothing that wasn't already there when they joined. Oh yes, and then Part 1 of a new game can be completed and with no prior notice it gets released as a freebie right away... I bet those recently "Elite" members are really pleased they paid when that happens.

At least with Shark you know there's going to be at least one game you've never seen before and if that gets released into the wild during your subscription period it's only because another new game has taken its' place in the paid area. And because he accepts help from other people there's usually someone lurking in the lagoon who has a direct line on a subject to respond to us lesser mortals, even if Shark's not here himself.
kessie8yl
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games