Life With Keeley

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: Life With Keeley

Postby dafsa » Wed, 11Dec07 22:00

I'm having trouble getting it to come up on anything other than Chrome. I know it doesn't work on Chrome, but idk how to boot it up with IE.
dafsa
sirens hunter

sex: Masculine

Postby rabbie » Wed, 11Dec07 22:13

dafsa wrote:I'm having trouble getting it to come up on anything other than Chrome. I know it doesn't work on Chrome, but idk how to boot it up with IE.

right click on the icon>open with>internet explorer. Depending on what version you have you might have a little box pop up at the botton asking you if you want to run scrips, say yes.
rabbie
lagoon predator

Postby dafsa » Wed, 11Dec07 22:36

See, I'm not getting that, for some reason the Start Icon is automatically set to Chrome and I can't switch it, and there's no way to open it with anything else.
dafsa
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Wed, 11Dec07 22:43

Thanks for the feedback, TheBrain.

The game ends if you screw up enough to not be able to continue. The challenge is that magazine, which you haven't screwed up yet, but haven't found either. I was hoping the text at the top of that screen would give it away (phreaky wanted it to be harder but I wouldn't let him :-). As for the bonus hit targets, you don't need to find any of them to complete the game on easy or medium, and you only need a few on Hard. If you want a perfect score, yes you have to find difficult to find items, but you're trying for a perfect score on a hard setting. It should be hard.

As for linearity, I don't think you're asking for non-linearity. I think you're asking for more content. Masq, for instance, is extremely linear. It's just that there are about 10 paths through the story with multiple ends. ArianeB is also extremely linear, just with many paths. These things are stories. They have to be linear. The only way to really remove the linearity is to remove the story. You can put in multiple stories to give an illusion of non-linearity, but there can't be a non-trivial story without linear elements.

As for failing with Adrian and still being able to talk to Christine, that would lower the game's difficulty quite a bit. If it's too easy, it stops being a game and starts being a virtual novel.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Greebo » Wed, 11Dec07 23:03

dafsa wrote:See, I'm not getting that, for some reason the Start Icon is automatically set to Chrome and I can't switch it, and there's no way to open it with anything else.

Is Chrome set as your default browser? If so see if you can change the default to IE, at least while you're trying to play. Mind you, you should be able to right click on the Start.html and select the browser you want it to use, no matter what the default is.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby dafsa » Wed, 11Dec07 23:13

Greebo wrote:
dafsa wrote:See, I'm not getting that, for some reason the Start Icon is automatically set to Chrome and I can't switch it, and there's no way to open it with anything else.

Is Chrome set as your default browser? If so see if you can change the default to IE, at least while you're trying to play. Mind you, you should be able to right click on the Start.html and select the browser you want it to use, no matter what the default is.

Yeah, Chrome's my default.

And yeah, I checked by right clicking but the option to choose my browser is not coming up and it's annoying. I'll try by switching default browsers.
dafsa
sirens hunter

Postby Greebo » Wed, 11Dec07 23:53

dafsa wrote:...I checked by right clicking but the option to choose my browser is not coming up and it's annoying.

I don't understand that, your file manager should give you the option for your default app for the relevant file type at the top (in this instance Chrome because it's an html), but below that there should be something like "Open With >" leading to a list of whatever is set up as available. I get AbiWord, Epiphany, Firefox, and several other apps including a text editor in my list.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby dafsa » Thu, 11Dec08 00:07

Anyway, switching the default browser worked. Now i just have to figure out what the hell to do on day 2.
dafsa
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Thu, 11Dec08 01:24

I'm going to be absent from the lagoon for a while. I'm pretty frustrated with this thread, so I'm going to step back and cool off.

Phreaky and I have been working on "Life With Keeley" for almost a year. I personally logged over 200 hours on it, all nights and weekends. I'm pretty sure Phreaky did even more. We don't ask for any sort of payment for our efforts other than possibly some appreciation. But there's been scant little of that despite the game's 1600 downloads. So far, the majority of this thread has been about the inadequacies of Chrome and Linux. Of the parts that actually talk about the game, only one person has told me what he likes about it (thanks danigonz). Most of the rest have been "It's good, but nit pick, nit pick, nit pick." Or, my favorite, "It's not exactly the kind of game I like, so hurry up and make me another one."

If I was new to the lagoon, had never played a Phreaky and Tlaero game before, and read this thread, I wouldn't even bother to download "Life With Keeley."

You all complained bitterly about the bugs in Chaotic's recent game, but when we delivered a game with 800 html files and no bugs, no one cared. You complained about how all of the women in the photographer had the same personality, but when I delivered a game with five characters with distinct personalities, no one noticed. You were too busy telling me I ruined your experience with my spelling of "Ut oh" to enjoy learning more about Keeley's and Keisha's history, or Christine's and Adrian's relationship. How many sexy games do you play where the characters even have histories? And the sex scenes? My god. The average Chaotic sex scene is 3 hastily-made two-frame animations. Even Leo's games, which are some of the best around, tend to have less than 10 images per sex scene. Phreaky killed himself making like 40 images for the final scene in this game. Heck, the non-reward gameplay sex scenes are on par with the reward scenes in most games. But no one has paid any attention to them. That strip tease, with Phreaky's expert control of Keeley's facial expressions? I've never seen anything that hot in any sexy game I've ever played anywhere. The closest thing we've gotten to a comment on it is a complaint that if you click through it quickly you might miss a bonus point intended only for completionists.

I don't need fawning praise. And I do like discussions on what can make a game better. But if all I'm going to get is an occasional throw away, "It's technically good but" followed by a list of gripes, then I should have spent the majority of my free time over the last year doing something else.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby phreaky » Thu, 11Dec08 01:30

@tlaero, I echo your sentiments

at least we did have fun making it, right ? :D

maybe a game with a horny guy who aims to score at every girls are more likeable anyway, but at least we did try to make something different here
if most people don't really like it, well life still goes on :)

I personally think keeley story is so real, and could've happened to any married girl out there, that's why I like the story
phreaky
lagoon predator

Postby Greebo » Thu, 11Dec08 02:11

Please, Tlaero, try not to be upset. Some of us have hardly had an opportunity to scratch the surface of your game, let alone form a valid opinion -- after all it's only been available about one and a half days so far, and not everyone has had a smooth ride getting it downloaded and running in a suitable environment. The little I have seen so far really interests me, but at the moment I'm too busy to go through it with the attention necessary.

I'm not personally particularly enamoured of the Meet'n'Fuck type of game or the stuff Leoniser or Chaotic produce, but I really enjoyed "Getting to Know Christine" and I like the concept of a more realistic game looking at relationships from more of a female perspective, I'm quite looking forward to seeing how your take on this works out.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm still a stereotypical male whose tongue hangs out at the thought of a "good sex scene", but that isn't my be all and end all by any means!

All the best, Greebo
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Thu, 11Dec08 03:15

tlaero wrote:I'm going to be absent from the lagoon for a while. I'm pretty frustrated with this thread, so I'm going to step back and cool off.

Phreaky and I have been working on "Life With Keeley" for almost a year.

Tlaero

Tlaero, I can appreciate that you may feel down. :(
I regret in hindsight that my comment at: viewtopic.php?p=45941#p45941
did not express my appreciation of your work. Then too, it would have been poor judgement to critique on such a short experience. My point back there however was really intended to convey that one can enjoy success even early in the game, just a few windows. I am not in a position to comment much further but in my failed attempt when I quit at 0/35 I had begun to explore some of the threads/paths that could allow me to go further next time.

Please take as much time as you feel that you need and don't be terribly disheartened. After all it seems that few have realised the "Keeley" is back in our focus thus not much broad feedback traffic, and that as always there will be those who will have browser and other issues.

Oh! That single point that I scored, there are at least two ways to get it but that is where I closed down --- nothing to do with play, browser, etc, just my time elsewhere.

Tlaero, Phreaky, please do not be too hard on Lagooners. When Shark releases the new game I would expect some negativity, we've addressed issues behind 'closed doors' but that won't satisfy everyone since this is not a perfect world.

Enjoy your "time-out".
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby thundergod » Thu, 11Dec08 03:30

Well, I'm very sorry if my post contributed to your frustration. I honestly thought I was reporting a bug, not nitpicking the overall game.

As for a more substantial response, I would certainly have offered one once I felt I'd played the game enough to have one, which I had not at that point. By now I have, but I think it's probably best to keep it to myself and just thank you and phreaky for all the obvious work that went into the game.
thundergod
great white shark

Postby Graen » Thu, 11Dec08 03:43

Oy...

I don't intend to sound like an ass, but I probably will. And you'll probably be justifiably upset with me for this post, but I think this needs to be said.

If you made this game, just to be appreciated for your time and effort... In my opinion, you're doing it for the wrong reason. Games are meant to be fun, and enjoyable. I'm not saying "Life with Keeley" isn't fun or enjoyable. I've played through it a few times, and enjoyed solving Keeley's little problems. (I do wish I could get the cute receptionist to join in, on the fun as well.) I also appreciate that you both made this game. I have played all of the games you two have made, because you both keep making quality stories. It's for that same reason that I stopped playing Chaotic's drivel a long time ago.

While I will play, or ignore, a game because of the people who've worked on it, the main reason I play any game is to have fun. It's that exact reason that I've been enjoying working with Leonizer on his games as well. It's fun! Admittedly I haven't worked on any games that have spent a year in development, but several of the games I have helped Leonizer with have taken several months time to reach completion before they're even published. One of the games I'm currently working on with him has been in development hell for quite some time, and won't be seen by the public for at least another month if not more.

But, I am still more than happy to work with Leonizer, because I enjoy making games, writing scripts, and making sure that I at least have a pleasurable experience when I play the final game. I do not work on these games out of some desire for grand recognition or to garner a collective of sycophants.

There are always going to be some people who think your work is shit. So what? There is no such thing as the perfect anything, there will always be a flaw, some area that could be improved or tweaked. So what?

If you're not having fun with what you're doing, you're not doing it right. And sometimes that means not doing it at all.

As Greebo said, you're game has only been out for not even 2 days now. You claim to have been nursing it for almost a year. Let everyone have a chance to experience "Life with Keeley" before you disappear into the dark sanctum of the internet. Sure there are going to be people upset/concerned/indifferent about certain aspects of your game. And you know what, that's perfectly fine. We're not you, we never will be. But you've shown us a piece of yourself, and while not everyone will like it, it is more than many of us have offered.

And really, at the end of the day, the only thing that should concern you is this: "Did I have fun? Did I enjoy what I've done?"

Bollocks to everyone else!

G
Image LoPteam.blogspot.com
Image graenwerks.blogspot.com
Graen
legend of the South Seas

Postby phreaky » Thu, 11Dec08 04:42

@graen
I like your post :D

Actually it's too early to judge on anything, and like I said to tlaero earlier,regardless of people's comments, the important thing is that we enjoy what we did

Personally I love keeley, the caharacter we made, and that alone I enough for me to enjoy making games like this

@tlaero
Let's wait some more before feeling down, maybe we should chill out a bit :D
phreaky
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to Free sexy games