please help a computer novice

Complete and totally free games (the author can request a non-obligatory financial contribution in thanks or to help him to create new game)

Re: please help a computer novice

Postby jimdaniel » Fri, 08Jun13 02:29

I am sure I have done something that those of you 20 years younger than me will laugh at. I am stuck. I am using Vista as my operating system and IE as my browser. I downloaded "ariane" and the system placed it as a zipped file in my file folder My eBooks. I extracted it. But I can't figure out what I am supposed to do to make it run.

I have leafed through the indices. there are 2,029 files. All the files seem to be .jpg or .htm. I can't find anything with .exe for an extension. the read me file wasn't any help. Waht am I supposed to do to make this run?

Can you help?
jimdaniel
jimdaniel
Pilot fish

Postby Steve » Fri, 08Jun13 03:25

Jimdaniel,
You're right, for this game, there is no .exe file.
But you need to have a file like this one: index.htm (2ko)
So after, double-click on it...and have a lot of fun with ArianeB.
(Just after the double-click, you need to see a Microsoft Internet Explorer page with this title on the corner, the left one: "Virtually Date Ariane - Microsoft Internet Explorer". On this page you need to see... a pic with a girl on a sofa...under this pic, the "hot" key: Click here to begin. Try this one :)
See you and have fun!
Steve
star of the reef

Postby Leelohm » Fri, 08Jun13 12:26

If Vista prompts you to allow active X controllers to run when you do what Steve said above, say yes. It'll do it every time it starts.

Arianne is a great game. If you have something other than the original verion like the Arianne add on mentioned in this forum it may not work at all with certain XP and Vista configurations and you'll need to download and play the original Arianne.

I've played just the original and its wonderful. I don't say such things lightly, either ;)
Leelohm
sirens hunter

Postby erana » Fri, 08Jun13 16:09

Leelohm, have you actually tried the Ariane add-on I made under Vista, or are only guessing?

I ask, because it uses no ActiveX calls at all, only basic Javascrïpt (actually the same flavour of Javascrïpt than the original Arianne, as much of the changes use recicled code). So it SHOULD either work both, or neither. The original working and the add-on not would be a very puzzling result.
erana
lagoon predator

Postby Leelohm » Sat, 08Jun14 12:38

I used the add on but have XP and couldn't get the game to run at all. It was the same start scene but I couldn't move past the window. It simply didn't work. Much like what was described here.
Leelohm
sirens hunter

Postby erana » Sun, 08Jun15 02:56

Weird, since the first scene wasn't touched. Did you get any kind of error message?

Edit: I've somehow narrowed down the possible places of trouble. It's probably some of the changes made to the default.htm file. But since I use a Mac (hey, I'm using the screen name of a character of GOOD, don't ask me to use Microsoft) ;) I can't actually fix it myself. So any help finding where the error is would be greatly apretiated.
erana
lagoon predator

Return to Free sexy games