Remastering existing games

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Remastering existing games

Postby Biff » Sat, 15May16 04:20

I really have enjoyed Chaotic's Virtual Date Games, but the images have not impressed me, so I have been editing them and inserting my own. I enjoy not just making the models, but recreating entire backgrounds and scenes. I think the higher resolution pictures I use makes the filesize much larger than what would be practical for mass downloads, so it is understandable why most sites use lower quality images, but for just my computer, it makes the games a lot better in my opinion. These are two examples of changes I made to his recent Photographer sequel (a scene with Nikki, and another with Cassandra), followed by the image I replaced it with. There are so many pictures in this game that I haven't really gotten very far through them yet, but I have nearly completed his Rachel part 3 game, including adding two new endings. Since I don't own the rights to the games, I obviously can't share the finished products, but I thought I'd share a couple of images that I've done here.

Image Image
Biff
sirens hunter

sex: Masculine

Re: Remastering existing games

Postby Biff » Sat, 15May16 04:49

For my new endings to Chaotic's Rachel part 3, you can either invite another guy to your hotel room and share Rachel in a threesome, or invite another couple to the room for a swinger party. This picture is from the former.

Biff
sirens hunter

Postby tlaero » Sat, 15May16 05:16

The Adventure Creator distribution has a tool called jpgConv that you can use to make your images take less storage space. Generally the 60-70 range will make a JPG 90% smaller but be indistinguishable to the human eye.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Super » Sat, 15May16 16:47

These do look good- but again, they are not your games.

It seems like you're making some new images of your own, so perhaps you could try making a game from scratch? Even if you're not comfortable writing or programming or whatever, I'm sure someone here will be willing to work with you. And if you do want to make a game of your own, well, we'd help with anything lol
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby Biff » Mon, 15May18 03:58

Super wrote:These do look good- but again, they are not your games.

It seems like you're making some new images of your own, so perhaps you could try making a game from scratch? Even if you're not comfortable writing or programming or whatever, I'm sure someone here will be willing to work with you. And if you do want to make a game of your own, well, we'd help with anything lol

Thanks. I'm a pretty good programmer, actually. I started on my own game some time ago. It was going to be a 3-part story that starts with dating a girl in high school, then catching up with the same girl in college, and then the third act takes place after college. The decisions you make in each part would impact the rest of the game. It was pretty ambitious, and I made the models for the game and everything, and have used them a few times in these modded Chaotic games. Rendering pictures is about all I have time for anymore, so I've stuck to altering the visuals in games I already have on my computer.

And again as a disclaimer, I am NOT distributing the games, and even the pictures I posted here are the ones freely available on Chaotic's development blog. I also don't want to give the impression that Chaotic's pictures weren't good enough or took away from the game. I just wanted to personalize the game to suit my own taste and work on improving my rendering skills.
Biff
sirens hunter

Postby redle » Mon, 15May18 18:52

No offense intended, but I don't understand the purpose of this thread. It basically says, "I have a hobby where I create things and keep the finished product for myself. Just wanted to let everyone in the world know that I do this." Okay. That's great that you have a hobby. I'm happy for you. Why do we care, or how is this relevant to any of us?

Just trying to point out that there doesn't seem to be any question or talking point supplied in the first post. I assume there is one intended, so please share it with us.

"I make pictures for existing games and wondered if people were interested in me sharing my game mods." (Sharing mods is perfectly legal, but you do need to make sure you share only your own content. You can only redistribute the whole game with your mods if you have consent of the original author [either by the game's license granting that right or by getting permission from the author]. Uploading a zip file somewhere that has a bunch of images you created and nothing else is just you sharing your work. It's then up to each individual whether or not they take those files and put them into a game that they already have.)

"I've had fun making pictures for existing games, but want to do more. I'm looking for someone who's making a game and looking for an artist to supply images for it. Anyone wanting to collaborate?"

"I mod most of the games I play and was wondering how many other people out there do the same. Anyone else do this, or want to discuss game modding?"

"To developers, why don't you use higher definition pictures? I mod some of the existing games with images I create. I must say I enjoy them more when the pictures are higher def. Is there a reason you use what you use, or can I request such a change?"

et cetera...

I'm sure there are many more possible reasons. Unless we want to turn this thread into a "guess the intent" thread and see how comprehensive a list we can compile, I'm thinking I don't need to continuing naming alternatives. So, where are you trying to go?
redle
star of the reef

Postby Super » Sun, 15May24 23:26

Yeah, still don't see the point. If you're making new images and new storylines, then surely it'd be better to show it to the world in order to gain feedback and all that stuff. It doesn't have to be super complicated like you were planning, and indeed it shouldn't be.

If you, say, made a game like vdate games with that storyline but new characters, I don't see how that would be anything but good. Or hell, you could even contact Chaotic about distributing them there, he did a mod for arianeb and is allowing someone else to use one of his characters for his new game so he might be fine with it.

Otherwise, I agree with redle, just seems kind of rude to go out and say you're making new content but aren't going to share it with anyone.
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Mon, 16May16 02:16

He's proud of his work and that's a good thing. I hope you do contact the people over at VDATE and ask if they would like to incorporate some of your ideas though.
Last edited by TheGreatJoeGargery on Mon, 16May16 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby Regardie » Mon, 16May16 05:02

And if you only have time for renders now, I know that the creator of Brad's Erotic Week, Wolfshadowe, was looking for graphic artists a while back, brought one on, and then some real life problems has slowed his output. Plus, the story has gone in an unanticipated direction and there are a lot of renders to do.

His website is http://bradseroticweek.rocks/

He has a help wanted section. He wants to see some specific renders which looks like you are more than capable of, and then he will provide assets and storyboards.

So instead of reworking old games, you can give back to the community and get BEW out the door. Right now it will be way into the 2020s before the 7 days are up.
Regardie
great white shark

Postby TheGreatJoeGargery » Tue, 16May17 02:02

Regardie wrote:And if you only have time for renders now, I know that the creator of Brad's Erotic Week, Wolfshadowe, was looking for graphic artists a while back, brought one on, and then some real life problems has slowed his output. Plus, the story has gone in an unanticipated direction and there are a lot of renders to do.

His website is http://bradseroticweek.rocks/

He has a help wanted section. He wants to see some specific renders which looks like you are more than capable of, and then he will provide assets and storyboards.

So instead of reworking old games, you can give back to the community and get BEW out the door. Right now it will be way into the 2020s before the 7 days are up.

I'd like to second this. Give poor Wolfe some help.
TheGreatJoeGargery
lagoon predator

Postby artorawley » Tue, 16May17 09:03

I feel like I've seen this exact same thread before either here or somewhere else in the past. Same thing: topic creator made their own images to replace the images in an already-released game, showed some of their work, stated that they have no intention of releasing their work, and left it at that. I echo the sentiments above about how this doesn't seem to serve any productive purpose other than to stroke your own ego. Why not make your own game if you don't like how the images look in a game you've played or if you just want to see your own completed works and get compliments for them?
artorawley
lagoon predator

Postby Mimailia » Tue, 16May17 10:17

artorawley wrote:I feel like I've seen this exact same thread before

It might be this one. It was necro'd from a year ago after all.

M
I can't figure out how to use the signature!
Mimailia
star of the reef

Postby lagoonfish » Tue, 16May17 14:03

Biff wrote: and inserting my own. I enjoy not just making the models, but recreating entire backgrounds and scenes. There are so many pictures in this game that I haven't really gotten very far through them yet, but I have nearly completed his Rachel part 3 game, including adding two new endings. Since I don't own the rights to the games, I obviously can't share the finished products, but I thought I'd share a couple of images that I've done here.

But you could share just the replacement images you created yourself from scratch, since you own the rights for your own artwork... ;)
lagoonfish
great white shark

Postby Mortze » Tue, 16May17 15:00

I surely hope there is a good dialogue and understanding with Chaotic about all this.
Mortze
legend of the South Seas

Postby Rexxx » Tue, 16May17 19:19

Mortze wrote:I surely hope there is a good dialogue and understanding with Chaotic about all this.

I think that he has done all of this for personal use and to improving skill, if he won't release anything I don't think he can have problem with chaotic.
Rexxx
lagoon predator

Return to Projects