I have a lot of questions.

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: I have a lot of questions.

Postby lee1400 » Sun, 15Mar22 22:25

Super wrote:
lee1400 wrote:I apologize in advance if that is not so.... Please tell me, people who create games and comics, they earn on it? I ask because I wonder whether you can earn if I create a game?

You mean if you can make money off it? I mean, sure you could. You can sell it if you want, a long as you use materials you can sell

You'd just need to actually make something people would want to buy and prove to people that it's worth what you're asking for

But how? and how much does it cost? In the example of the game from the shark.
lee1400
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby Greyelf » Mon, 15Mar23 01:19

lee1400 wrote:But how?

There are many different ways a game writer can try to make money off their games, and a game writer can use more than one of these way at the same time.

Some examples:

1. Raise the money to create the game using something like Kickstart or Offbeatr, this is what the developers of Trials in Tainted Space did originally.

2. Get people to sponsor you on a regularly on-going bases using a crowdfunding services like Patreon. This is also what the developers of Trials in Tainted Space did.

3. Charge an "one of" or a recurring fee for people to access the game. This is what Shark does with the private area of his site.

4. Sell copies of the finished game.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby tlaero » Mon, 15Mar23 03:53

Good list, Greyelf. Also

5) Set up a website to host the games and put advertising on the site. This is what Leo does with LOP.
6) Become a developer for an existing site like LOP.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby lee1400 » Mon, 15Mar23 23:03

how much does it cost? In the example of the game from the shark.
lee1400
great white shark

Postby redle » Mon, 15Mar23 23:43

There is no specific set cost associated with making a game. It can be done completely for free, for thousands of dollars, or anywhere in between. (with plans of making money off a game, you'll need to pay stricter attention to legality. There are certainly games in this genre that use images grabbed blindly off the web or tools used that allow redistribution for non-commercial use. You'll need to make sure everything you use allows for your creation to be used in a for-profit distribution)

A game tends to have a story/theme/plot. Generally a creator makes this up on his own, but a story can be bought or collaborators found.

Many games have graphics. Games can also be created without graphics, but assuming it isn't, this can range from self-created graphics, stock photos, commissioned artwork, computer generated, or other formats. Since you mentioned Shark's games specifically, he uses 3D rendering tools. There are a number of free tools to do this sort of work and rather pricey software that can be purchased. It's a matter of choosing tools to fit your price range spending time to learn how to use them. On top of having software to actually manipulate and render the 3D images, you also actually would then need actual objects to place in the scene (people, clothes, buildings, etc). Once again there are many free objects and many purchasable objects. It's up to you how much you spend or when you are satisfied with what you are capable of creating (you can create your own objects too, but obviously that requires more tools, time, and talent).

(download Daz3D for free and some of the free models that come with it. Play around a little and decide where you want to go from there)

Besides graphics and story, you also need a platform for the game (and the corresponding game mechanics coded out). Flash, RAGS, HTML (with or without JavaScript), Python, are some examples or even coding from scratch in a full programming language. Some formats, like RAGS and flash, require buying the software to generate files in the appropriate format (a license to be a developer is how they work so that anyone can play for free). Other formats are completely free to use, but are less specific as to what they can create. Most people make use of intermediate tools to generate the final format. There are free and commercial versions of tools to help with all of these. Finding a tool that's right for you is a personal choice. There's no one-size fits all here.

In summary, it's a general trade-off between time/money/knowledge(skills). The more work you do yourself, the more you can lower the cost, but the more time and talent you'll need to spend.
redle
star of the reef

Postby Greyelf » Tue, 15Mar24 02:42

lee1400 wrote:how much does it cost? In the example of the game from the shark.

@redle explained the possible costs involved in developing a game.

If you were asking about the costs involved in using a payment service like the one Shark does then that depends on the payment service you choose to use and possibly the country you live in, as some payment services (need to) charge extra if your in a foreign country.
eg. GST, Sales Tax, etc...
Greyelf
star of the reef

Postby lee1400 » Mon, 15Apr13 14:13

About costs, I get it. I'm interested in how much can earn, and whether to engage in the creation of the game.
lee1400
great white shark

Postby Super » Mon, 15Apr13 18:44

If you're expecting to be good enough to make decent money to begin with, I wouldn't. I'd recommend just trying to make something small and get it out for people to see before you even think about monetizing it
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby fleet » Mon, 15Apr13 23:04

lee1400 wrote:About costs, I get it. I'm interested in how much can earn, and whether to engage in the creation of the game.

A fairly easy way to see if people will pay for a game you make is to release a free demo version, with a link to a site where they can buy the full version.
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby Skelaturi » Mon, 15Apr13 23:42

fleet wrote:
lee1400 wrote:About costs, I get it. I'm interested in how much can earn, and whether to engage in the creation of the game.

A fairly easy way to see if people will pay for a game you make is to release a free demo version, with a link to a site where they can buy the full version.

thing is fleet, with this you already should have made a game. And from the line Lee says, he is weighting if he should make one.

Nevertheless a solid tip
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby fleet » Tue, 15Apr14 00:33

Skelaturi wrote:
fleet wrote:

thing is fleet, with this you already should have made a game. And from the line Lee says, he is weighting if he should make one.

Nevertheless a solid tip

Oops, I missed that part. :/
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby lee1400 » Tue, 15Apr14 21:41

I agree. But just wanted to know, grateful it is work or not. It takes a long time, and I wanted to know whether it is worth to get involved in this serious or not.
lee1400
great white shark

Postby lee1400 » Tue, 15Apr14 21:55

How this is achieved in quality Daz Studio?
lee1400
great white shark

Postby Skelaturi » Tue, 15Apr14 22:01

lee1400 wrote:I agree. But just wanted to know, grateful it is work or not. It takes a long time, and I wanted to know whether it is worth to get involved in this serious or not.

well make it first a hobby that means no dead lines etc. and people can appreciate your work when you release. After that if you find yourself good at it and people like your work you can get more serious. Still i wouldn't drop my work for it (if i had any)
Doggy style (noun)
A sexual position which allows both participants to watch TV.
---
My weakness a deviant Redhead: http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=4425#p97335

--
Seen anything wrong, a typo, to ask, anything else? PM me.
Skelaturi

Postby lee1400 » Mon, 15Apr20 20:39

Why everyone is silent?
lee1400
great white shark

PreviousNext

Return to Projects