RPG web browser games

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

RPG web browser games

Postby thetorpedo » Mon, 14May19 16:25

Hey guys,

I want to make an adult RPG web browser game, pretty much text based (bar the odd image and all the little visuals for health, character, etc etc). I'm thinking that designing it with Adobe Flash Professional is the best bet, but I'm not sure is it... which is where I hope ye can help.

Is creating a flash game the best way to make an adult RPG mostly text based web browser game? Or are flash games mainly for visual heavy games?

Thanks a thousand
thetorpedo
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Re: RPG web browser games

Postby tlaero » Tue, 14May20 01:35

When you say "Text Based" do you mean that the user types in text like in an AIF, or do you mean the user clicks on things and the primary output is text?

I'd say that the undisputed king of sex rpgs is Leonizer, and he uses Flash. So that path is well worn. But flash is a declining system (the world is moving away from flash). If you need to learn flash from scratch to make your game, I'd suggest against it. Better to spend your effort learning something that will help you in the future. For that I'd suggest HTML5 and JavaScript. That way you can use what you learn on other efforts like website design, etc.

On the other hand, if you already know Flash and don't know HTML and JS, there's value in spending your time making the game rather than learning new technologies.

What's your background and what do you already know how to do?

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby redle » Tue, 14May20 21:45

As tlaero says, there's no real "one-best" answer. Some of it depends on how deep you want to go into coding versus only interested in the writing aspect. Another is what kind of game mechanics you want to incorporate. A choice between 3 options, progress... choose between 2 options, progress... etc game doesn't require the same tools as, say, a game incorporating an inventory system and equipping/removing various items.

Flash and html were mentioned, but there's also such things as tiddles (which is a wiki-like platform that has some game wrappers for it). Or, if web-based isn't a requirement, you also have things such as ren'py and RAGS (and other such engines).
redle
star of the reef

Postby arnii » Wed, 14Jun18 13:15

If you are thinking of going down the HTML5 / Javascript route you may want to look into a game engine. I have been using one called Phaser which is really good and fun to use and contains some good templates and examples to get you started.
arnii
great white shark

Postby Greyelf » Thu, 14Jun19 01:30

Twine is another tool for making text based games using HTML and Java-script.
Greyelf
star of the reef

Return to Projects