Observation: Gaming decisions, based on mouse movement.

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Observation: Gaming decisions, based on mouse movement.

Postby TeineWolf » Sat, 14Mar22 06:54

Not sure which are this actually belongs in, but I figure someone here might be able to figure that out.

I am seeing a trend from the Japanese Anime games, that moved into the Flash games that Leonizer makes, and Tlaero has done as well. Tlaero explained the timing concept to me, and then it made sense. The problem I had is I was using a gaming mouse, which is a lot more sensitive than a traditional mouse.

Let me pause to explain my logic, for doing this. I am trying to create a way to rate, review and support the game made by the Adult Gaming Community. There's another debate I am trying to frame next, but I digress. So when I see series of games I like, I try to play them all, and try to see how the artistic, and technical, side of the games as they progress.

This observation is really more for the Flash game developers, and just food for thought. When the target region gets smaller, and it's timing based. Slow, Good, Fast. With a gaming mouse, set for hardcore gaming, will always register as faster, more often, as the target region gets smaller. The answer is obvious, I need to change my mouse settings, and slow it down a little. Then the other spectrum of the mouse speed issue hit me, what if it's a touch pad, or touch screen. Is there a way to make an allowance, like with sound, to make variances of the mouse sensitivity?
TeineWolf
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Re: Observation: Gaming decisions, based on mouse movement.

Postby redle » Sat, 14Mar22 21:50

From what I have observed in games such as those Leo releases, it isn't so much cursor movement speed as time between passes over a specified position. Mouse sensitivity would be irrelevant in such a scheme. Continuing to speak of Leo's specifically though, considering there is no true indicator of where said position is located, nor real indicator of desired timing (not to mention you and I have both played the same game and seem to have come to different conclusions as to what the game requires us to do to succeed), it isn't a very user friendly interface. The hope, of course, is that by continuing to try new techniques, the devs will eventually find one that gives sufficient feedback to the player and yet still feels non-intrusive to the point of forcing attention away from the graphics of the game. It's an ever evolving process.

As for the question of making variances in games based on the user's current mouse sensitivity settings, I would suggest that this is a bad route to go. The whole point of a gaming mouse or changing the sensitivity settings is because I want a different setting. Perhaps I have a bad elbow and wrist, so I move my entire arm to control my mouse. My movements are large and so I set my sensitivity to low. Maybe instead I'm a surgeon by trade, and am so used to very small, precise hand movements that I barely move my mouse at all. If a game counter-balances my settings I no longer have any means of control. My sweeping arm movements leave me incapable of even keeping the mouse within the flash game boundaries, or my miniscule precision finds me taking full minutes to get my cursor from one side of the window to the other. The point being, if a game wishes for me to move my cursor x-------------y it is up to me as a player to choose how far I must move my mouse to cause this to happen, not any game dev (and if the dev chooses to add in a stipulation that said movement must take exactly 3 seconds, well it's my job as a player to move at that speed, not the game's responsibility to change the time requirements depending on the player).

You did include the additional idea of touch devices. This one is a valid concern. Touch screens are much less precise than mice, track balls, and other controller devices. Highlight a single pixel and ask a mouse user to move the cursor until it is resting on that exact position or tell a person to touch that pixel with their finger (the finger is too blunt an object by far to be as accurate). Finger motion types and range are just completely different than typical mouse movements. Touch screens pose the even more difficult challenge by the rather large discrepancy in screen sizes. If one were to squeeze the display of a flash game down to the size of one of the smaller smart phone's displays, the tip of the player's finger would be larger than the arm, leg, whatever... body part that is supposedly being rubbed.

In the end, it comes down to devs choosing which environments they expect it to be most used and building for that. Just like on an FPS or RPG that has both PC and console versions, finds itself two completely different sets of controls, so too are PCs and tablets different beasts. The PC version typically has a ton of shortcut keys and commands. The console just doesn't have enough buttons and either reduces the options to core gameplay, buries things in menus, or relies on scroll-through selection. Just as you can't replicate the pinch or spread of fingers to zoom with the mouse, one must choose interactions which match the tools at hand.
redle
star of the reef

Return to Projects