BEW - Ongoing Dev Thread (DAZ Artists Still Wanted)

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

How would you prefer to see BEW released?

Poll ended at Sun, 15Feb15 09:41

Original release schedule including Bar and Strip Club date venues and associated Act 1 love interests.
20%
Move strip club Venue and love interesto, including associated Faith and Emily paths to the first expansion, to be released after Act 3.
15%
Release in Episodes, with the current Demo as Episode 1. Asking the community to Vote for which content they'd like to see first for the next Episode.
63%
Do something else.
2%

Total votes : 41

Re: Work in Progress - BEW

Postby Wolfschadowe » Fri, 14Mar07 00:12

Hi coder,

There shouldn't be any special characters present. I think you may have found a bug. Let me know what page(s) you see them rendered incorrectly and I'll make sure it's fixed.

also...Thanks for the code. I'll try that out as part of the fix and see if I can make it global.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Fri, 14Mar07 05:40

If you want to do special characters, you just need to turn on Unicode in AC.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Wolfschadowe » Fri, 14Mar07 19:48

Thanks for the reminder Tlaero.

I don't really intend to be using any special characters though. I suspect it's a stray smart quote that I didn't fix, or maybe the fancy é for Fiancé that didn't get coded right. I thought I had all of those handled. Apart from those, there shouldn't be any special characters that would trip anyone up. Unless I'm missing something obvious of course. [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby karrek » Fri, 14Mar07 23:23

Every time I see that there was a new post by you I think it's the next version and get excited. [img]images/icones/icon17.gif[/img]
karrek
lagoon predator

Postby Wolfschadowe » Sat, 14Mar08 02:07

karrek wrote:Every time I see that there was a new post by you I think it's the next version and get excited. [img]images/icones/icon17.gif[/img]
Haha. :) Getting close, the rendering and about 300 web pages are done, but still have a little over 200 web pages to build, then the logic check and second writing pass to clean up the story line, and finally the spellcheck.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby roughpaper » Wed, 14Mar12 23:24

Has this been addressed? In version 0.2.3, at least, I think there are bugs in _game.js.

Functions n1bar61h() and n1bar76h() have local variables
PassF = CheckF(...)
PassE = CheckF(...)

Pretty sure PassE should be calling CheckE() instead.
roughpaper
Pilot fish

Postby Wolfschadowe » Wed, 14Mar12 23:44

roughpaper wrote:Has this been addressed? In version 0.2.3, at least, I think there are bugs in _game.js.

Functions n1bar61h() and n1bar76h() have local variables
PassF = CheckF(...)
PassE = CheckF(...)

Pretty sure PassE should be calling CheckE() instead.
Hi roughpaper,
Good catch. Those are both resolved in my current working version, found by playtesters, but I did't pick up the fix when I made the 0.2.3 PoC. I had rewritten all the functions and consolidated the code in that version.

I just posted a patched version at the same location and it should now be available from the link on the front page. Just extract and overwrite. It will not affect saved games or earned achievements.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Super » Wed, 14Mar26 23:19

Hey, starting to plan out my next game beyond the vague idea stage.

Question, how do you do the scores at the bottom of the screen, like in Christine? Is there an easy way to do that or do I need to mess with the HTML? I tried opening up a file from Christine in Adventure Creator but it didn't seem that different.

Also, would it be possible to show two scores down there?
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby Wolfschadowe » Wed, 14Mar26 23:29

If you are using Tlaero's Adventure Creator, scores are handled by the gameShowScore() function near the bottom of the _game.js file.
If you download the latest public build of BEW from the first post of this thread you can see how the score display changes based on the selected difficulty level. Then look in the _game.js file to see how I did it.

Apart from defining the variables, here's the key section in the Spoiler:
Code: Select all
         if (diff == easy)
         {
            str = "Your current score is: " + score + " and your current relationships status is: E: " + epoints + ", F: " + fpoints + ", S: " + spoints + ", N: " + npoints + ", L: " + lpoints + ". <br>" + qsave + "      ||      " + gotoStats + "      ||      " + qrestore;
         }
         else if (diff == medium)
         {
            str = "Your current score is " + score + ". <br>" + qsave + "      ||      " + gotoStats + "      ||      " + qrestore;
         }
         else
         {
            str = qsave + "      ||      " + gotoStats + "      ||      " + qrestore;
         }
The part after the <br> for each difficulty is where I include the links for quicksave, menu, and quickrestore at the bottom of the screen. Hard difficulty doesn't show a score, just the quicksave and menu options, but it's still technically part of the score line.

Hope that helps.
Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Super » Wed, 14Mar26 23:34

... why did it post here and not the main adventure creator thread? O_O

Oh well, thanks :p
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby Comis » Thu, 14Apr03 06:51

I'm just posting to report a bug I found in the most recent demo. I looked through the thread and did not see anyone else mention it, but is possible that I missed something or one of your testers has already reported it. One of the achievements for the office is bugged and, currently, impossible to get. There are four endings to the scene: the zero points ending, the normal ending, the slapped silly ending and the kicked in the face ending. Looking at the code, if you have more than two points when Brad stroke's Emily's leg, her threat goes up. Otherwise, she kicks you in the face and there is a critical failure. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to stroke her leg while having less than three points. You get one point for greeting Emily. You can lose a point if Brad says, "Hurry up!" You get one point for picking the paper off the floor and two points for attempting to look up her skirt. So, if you have made those choices, you either have three points, for saying "Hurry up," otherwise you have four points. I went ahead and changed the > 2 to > 3 in my copy of the game, and that results in Emily kicking Brad if he said "Hurry up!" and just being annoyed otherwise.

Of course, there may have been another way intended to trigger the ending, but I could not think of it. As I mentioned, just changing that one variable from 2 to 3 fixes the bug. At least, that's how I assume the scene is supposed to play out. Thanks for the enjoyable demo. I'm looking forward to seeing more. If you were already aware of the bug, or if it isn't a bug and I'm just oblivious to the obvious way of obtaining that ending, I apologize for wasting your time.
Comis
sirens hunter

Postby Wolfschadowe » Thu, 14Apr03 17:08

Comis wrote:I'm just posting to report a bug I found in the most recent demo.
--snip-- I went ahead and changed the > 2 to > 3 in my copy of the game
Great find Comis! That is indeed a bug, and that is also the fix.

I have incorporated Comis' fix into the beta, and posted a patched download of the game. Just copy the files to overwrite the existing game files, or delete the old directory and use the files extracted. Either way, your savegames and earned achievements will be unaffected. The main link has been updated and is also here for convenience. http://www.mediafire.com/download/hb6gq9504d9bcu4/BEW_0.2.3.1_PoC_Beta.zip

Comis wrote:Thanks for the enjoyable demo. I'm looking forward to seeing more. If you were already aware of the bug, or if it isn't a bug and I'm just oblivious to the obvious way of obtaining that ending, I apologize for wasting your time.
First: I'm glad you enjoy the demo, I am happy to hear that it is still being played and enjoyed by at least one person. :) I am constantly working towards the next public release.
Second: Never apologize for bringing a potential bug to my attention. The Achievement system is still largely untested and there are prone to be more bugs to be found, especially in the fast hack strip out of later achievements I did for scenes not yet available outside of the playtesters. I would much rather read duplicate bug reports than miss one because someone was afraid to speak up. Thanks for pointing it out, and another thanks for offering a fix. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Wolfschadowe » Thu, 14Apr03 18:18

From the first page:
Wolfschadowe wrote:April 3rd, 2014 - So...I thought I was done with the office scene. I had all the web pages created, most of the Achievements in and was running the story-lines through my modeler during my logic pass and realized there should be 4 main branches instead of three. I had completely forgotten the Emily Romance line that is accessible only if the player went to the Strip Club instead of the Bar. Sooo...I've got that story-boarded and am about halfway through rendering it. I feel like I've been a week from finishing this scene for a month. HA! Anyway, it's one of the larger scenes in the game. For some context, it's almost the same size as the day one bar and strip club scenes combined. The Bar scene is just over 350 pages, and the Strip club is just over 450. The Day 2 office is nearly 700. On the bright side, I've got total rendering time, including posing for the next render to the point where I'm averaging about 7 an hour, when I'm on a roll. That's less than 10 minutes from start to finish for each image, without a loss of quality. Hopefully the quality level is increasing as my skills increase. Only time will tell though.
Additionally, one of my supporting characters was broken in an update. Trying to pose her makes her arms fly off in random directions which is both entertaining...and a little disturbing. It's something about bone joints in rigging losing their anchor or something. I don't really understand it. Anyway, a patch for that character is being made and once it's complete I'll be able to use her again. The result is that there are a few placeholder images where she is intended to appear, and I'll render those once the model rigging is fixed.

This moves me to Achievments. It won't be in the next release to playtesters, but I'm taking a page from Tlaero's playbook and will be including Daily bonus scenes for those who earn daily mastery achievements. There will also be scenes for Act mastery and overall Game mastery. These scenes will be short, linear blurbs that add to both the story and eroticism. An example is the Day 1 bonus scene that shows what happens at the Bar when Emily arrives if Brad chose to go to the Strip Club that night. These will be what I call "Fly on the wall" scenes where the player just watches what happens rather than interacts. The scenes will be option and once unlocked a link will appear at the end of day screen where the player can chose to "Go to sleep" or "view bonus scene". I'll probably word it differently, but that's the idea. Anyway, progress goes on and I'm still having fun working on this.

Note to Playtesters with mild spoiler:
Since it's been forever since the last release, I am going to block the in-progress branch which is largely independent of the others and try to release the scene in the next day or two. I still have to do spellcheck and tie up a couple of loose ends. The next scene on the road map is a small junction scene that's about the same size as the morning coffee for day 2. For those on the Natalie Corruption path, there is a short interaction with Azumi, and for everyone else it is similar to the Day 1 junction where Brad decides where to go. I'll include the remainder of the office with that scene, which will also mark the next round of playtesters coming in. Thank you all for your patience and help!

P.S. The broken model mentioned above is Jasmine.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby karrek » Sat, 14Apr05 13:38

Woo! Can't wait! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
karrek
lagoon predator

Postby Wolfschadowe » Sat, 14Apr05 18:58

karrek wrote:Woo! Can't wait! [img]images/icones/icon14.gif[/img]
Well, crap monkey! I found a logic bug on my logic pass that's going to take me an extra day to two to work through.

Mild spoiler and playtester info
The logic for the scene is pretty complex making decisions on things like where Brad went, but also stuff like which ending at the Bar brad got determines how Emily behaves during the day, and what d2 office endings are possible, and what relationship thresholds are appropriate. Thankfully, this is only one of two super complex scenes in the game. Most of the others are relatively straight forward. Since I usually have more time during weekdays than on the weekends to work on the game, It will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday before this scene releases to playtesters, unless I get really lucky and have time to get it worked out sooner. Sorry for the delay all.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to Projects