opinions sought, is this game possible?

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: opinions sought, is this game possible?

Postby tlaero » Thu, 13Feb28 05:10

Morgwen wrote:Only if you want to add a password after every step... a password for every section woudldn´t cost much time ( 3- 4 per game). Its annoying when you have to walk through the whole game only because you made one false step at the end. :(

That's why my games have a save game method.

What you've suggested is my option 2. If there's one password per section, then the only thing you can do in a section is succeed or fail. The game can't remember if you stared at her breasts or asked about the language she was speaking and then have those actions matter later, etc.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby tlaero » Thu, 13Feb28 05:15

jfrancois323 wrote:But the password could refer to the variable use in the game, for example ; if a variable refer to like/dislike about you. One password will bring her happy, while another one bring her angry to see you.

Right, so say you've got 10 variables, each of which can vary from 0 to 9. How many passwords do you need to cover all the possibilities?

The answer is:
10000000000 passwords (10^10)

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby jfrancois323 » Thu, 13Feb28 07:50

Aie !!! [img]smile/eek.gif[/img] i didn't realize that, even if you choose 0-5 a ; 6-9 b it make so many possibilities !! Better to forgot that solution !!
jfrancois323
star of the reef

Postby qbv8 » Thu, 13Feb28 09:16

Haha .. don't worry too much about x^y passwords, there are other ways, depending on what your goal is.

• If you code a game in the style of what we are talking here, technically you build up a finite state machine with state transitions according to user interactions. This means, you can number your states, and you can reach each state directly by coding the number of the state into your password.
  • If your states need a certain configuration of variable, you can code those values into your "password" as well.
This reduces the number of your passwords needed to a reasonable and even deriveable amount.

Example
You have a game with 300 states and you have 10 variables, each one of type integer, and holding a number within the interval [0...25].

A password could be composed like this
  • <PREFIX FOR PW><value of var 1><value of var 2>...<value of var 10><PREFIX FOR STATE><number of the state>
  • You code the value of variables starting with "a" for 0, "b" for 1, "c" for 2, etc.
  • The prefixes are not strictly needed, but they can help you during parsing. So let's define <PREFIX FOR PW>=P, <PREFIX FOR STATE>=@
Then a possible password would look like this:
Pkfggmffabg@117

This will lead you to state 117 with the configuration (var 1 = 10, var 2 = 5, var 3 = 6, ...)

All you have to do is to write a function that does the following:

function pwdProcess(password) {
  • Check the validity of the configuration for that specific state.
  • if (configuration is not valid) either repair, or refuse the password and return from function.
  • Load the variables with the respective values and jump to the state specified in your internal finite state machine.
}

[img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Cheers! And good luck!
qbv8
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby Morgwen » Thu, 13Feb28 10:15

tlaero wrote:That's why my games have a save game method.

Really? The game Coffee for Keisha is from you right? How do I can save my game? :??:

What you've suggested is my option 2. If there's one password per section, then the only thing you can do in a section is succeed or fail. The game can't remember if you stared at her breasts or asked about the language she was speaking and then have those actions matter later, etc.

Why not?

For example you have 10 decision per section with say up to 4 choices, every decision and every decision gets a fixed value. Decision A and choice 3, decision B choice 1 etc. and at the and of every section you can display a password like A3B1... I know there are better methods but I can`t see why the game should forget what you did.
Morgwen
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Fri, 13Mar01 03:50

There's a "save" link to the right of the score.

Making the password be the ascii version of the save state works, but then the player needs to write down gibbly gook and reenter it correctly. At that point, you're better off with save and restore links/buttons.

Tlaero
tlaero

Previous

Return to Projects