Looking for people to playtest

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Looking for people to playtest

Postby lamont Sanford » Mon, 12Jan30 19:48

yes 2000 pictures is beyond insane haha. It is a mixture of real pictures and daz types(but not daz). for instance if u examine something your eating or carrying chances are it's a real picture. If you look at a person or do something with a person it will be daz type pic. The number of pics began to get super large because I had to have a picture to cover situations like this (for example) if you are kissing someone I had to have a picture showing every combination of clothing that you and the other person had on at that time, now take that further and now you have to have that for every person and every possible activity...oof. After awhile I started "cheating" a bit and limiting those choices.

The pictures were originally png but as you mentioned the size was way too big so I had to convert them all to jpg. Lets just say going through the code and changing every "display figure of xyz.png to display figure of xyz.jpg" 2000 times was a joy and a pleasure ;)

While this situation is working itself out I think I may try to make a teaser picture showing the main characters in the game and posting it up here. Should happen soon. Not sure the policy about posting pics on the board but it will be rated strictly pg.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Tue, 12Jan31 00:10

Here is a picture I just threw together. It shows some of the people (but by no means all) that you will interact with.

lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby fleet » Tue, 12Jan31 04:57

Here's another tip to reduce the size of your pictures. Use GIMP to open each jpg file, then save it as jpg, but reduce the quality to 75%. [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

sex: Masculine

Postby ExLibris » Tue, 12Jan31 05:48

Is calling one of the characters Becky Johnson a deliberate allusion to the School Dreams series?
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby rabbie » Tue, 12Jan31 06:05

Is this your first game? Seems very ambitious - Credit for sticking with it all the way through though, That has always been my problem with making a game...i start with lots of ideas and start really strong then my focus drifts and i never finish it [img]images/icones/icon15.gif[/img]
rabbie
lagoon predator

Postby TwiceShy » Tue, 12Jan31 13:47

I'd be happy to help out with play testing, but I'm not sure how much help I could be. It's been a few years since I've played around with Inform7.
TwiceShy
Pilot fish

Postby TheBrain » Tue, 12Jan31 16:35

lamont Sanford wrote:The pictures were originally png but as you mentioned the size was way too big so I had to convert them all to jpg. Lets just say going through the code and changing every "display figure of xyz.png to display figure of xyz.jpg" 2000 times was a joy and a pleasure ;)

Of course it's little use to you now you've already done it, but Notepad++ supports using regular expressions for search and replace actions, which could have easily automated this for you (i.e. replace something like ([a-zA-z0-9]+)\.png with \1.jpg).

I'm looking forward to your finished game, this seems like an interesting project.
TheBrain
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Tue, 12Jan31 17:20

Thank you everyone, yes it is my first game. I really had no idea just how much was involved going into it. I am still awaiting a response from the inform person I emailed. Until I hear back I am in a holding pattern. I am really hoping that there is some kind of workaround to be able to produce a glorb file or else I may be forced to make some major revisions and that will mean cutting out alot of game content that I really do not want to do. I will have to weigh my options at that point. If nothing else maybe some good will come out of this for people writing large games on inform in the future if they fix this glitch in the compiler.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Tue, 12Jan31 17:23

TwiceShy wrote:I'd be happy to help out with play testing, but I'm not sure how much help I could be. It's been a few years since I've played around with Inform7.

when the time comes it will be a game file, so knowledge of inform will be unnecessary. All you will need to do is play the game and send me notes on gameplay and any weird bugs you find (which I am sure will be numerous).
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby ltpika » Tue, 12Jan31 22:58

Count me in for testing.
ltpika
star of the reef

Postby iksanabot » Wed, 12Feb01 18:39

Wow, this sounds like a great project, and I'm impressed by your ambition. If you have the resolve to one-by-one alter 2000 image files from png to jpg, I think you will be a force in game creation. I'd be very happy to test-play your game, when you're ready.
Best wishes.
iksanabot
star of the reef

Postby cheese101 » Sat, 12Feb04 16:20

put be down for testing
cheese101
star of the reef

Postby lamont Sanford » Sat, 12Feb04 19:56

I will get in touch with those who showed interest in testing when I get things back on track.
lamont Sanford
star of the reef

Postby jared34 » Wed, 12Feb08 10:19

I would love to test play your game. thank you jared
jared34
Pilot fish

Postby J0k3r » Wed, 12Feb08 14:47

I would like to test your game.
Where can I download them?