Virtual date Games Page Naming

Games in project or under development. The posts and games in this section can not ask for money.

Re: Virtual date Games Page Naming

Postby tlaero » Mon, 11Jul11 00:27

Fleet, one of phreaky's and my games (I can't remember which) worked fine on Windows and Mac but failed on Linux because I had mixed the case of one of the filenames. If you want to support unix-based OSes, you're best off always using lower case for your files and always referring to them in lower case.

Greebo, I'm on NTFS and it's case insensitive. The only OS I'm aware of that treats filenames as case sensitive is unix (and linux, of course, is a unix OS).

It certainly won't hurt to add preceeding 0's to numbers, but if ILSWriter is using AdventureCreator, then it's unnecessary. I explicitly added the "don't need preceding zeroes" feature to AdventureCreator because when creating these games, the 0 thing frequently got in the way. I'd do one zero and not know that THIS scene went to 100, etc. When I create these games, I don't worry too much about the ease at which people can disect them with other tools. They're supposed to be playing the game, not exploring it in other editors. Especially since AdventureCreator is free.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby Greebo » Mon, 11Jul11 01:09

tlaero wrote:Greebo, I'm on NTFS and it's case insensitive. The only OS I'm aware of that treats filenames as case sensitive is unix (and linux, of course, is a unix OS).

I'm afraid my son has just pointed me to a page in which Microsoft disagrees with you! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/100625

(I think he told me that Microsoft did this to make it Posix compatible for some reason)
Greebo
Great Master of corals

sex: Masculine

Postby fleet » Mon, 11Jul11 02:08

tlaero wrote:Fleet, one of phreaky's and my games (I can't remember which) worked fine on Windows and Mac but failed on Linux because I had mixed the case of one of the filenames. If you want to support unix-based OSes, you're best off always using lower case for your files and always referring to them in lower case.

Greebo, I'm on NTFS and it's case insensitive. The only OS I'm aware of that treats filenames as case sensitive is unix (and linux, of course, is a unix OS).

It certainly won't hurt to add preceeding 0's to numbers, but if ILSWriter is using AdventureCreator, then it's unnecessary. I explicitly added the "don't need preceding zeroes" feature to AdventureCreator because when creating these games, the 0 thing frequently got in the way. I'd do one zero and not know that THIS scene went to 100, etc. When I create these games, I don't worry too much about the ease at which people can disect them with other tools. They're supposed to be playing the game, not exploring it in other editors. Especially since AdventureCreator is free.

Tlaero

@Tlaero, Greebo and Turcia,
Thanks. I checked "Carlo's Downfall" to verify that it didn't have the 'changed case in filename' problem (it didn't). :D
I suspect if it had I would have heard about it by now. ;)

Sorry about wandering off topic.
Very respectfully,
fleet
Check out my latest adult visual novel "After She Left"
at http://the-new-lagoon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4363
I moderate at http://undertow.club
fleet
Great Master of corals

Postby iksanabot » Mon, 11Jul11 19:25

I just wanted to communicate my excitement/encouragement to ILSWriter that you are working on a game. Yay!
iksanabot
star of the reef

Postby tlaero » Wed, 11Jul13 07:22

I don't know. Maybe it's different in 7, but I just tried to copy test.txt to Test.txt in the command prompt and was told that I can't copy the file onto itself. Furthermore, when I had capitalized one of the HTML files in an earlier game and used a lower case link in the code, it worked on my NTFS machine but not on someone's linux box. Maybe there's a setting that lets you enable case sensitivity but it's off by default? <shrugs>

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Previous

Return to Projects