Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator main thread

Postby BlueJoe » Thu, 15Apr09 14:21

Sorry, I didn't try yet with string, cause I could solve my problem using variable before you answer me ;)
But i will try it soon.

While I write some functions for the game, I needed to close the function with return [varname] (not return false) and I put the call of the function with brackets [[nameFunction()]] in the Table Entries.
I notice that the text in the Table entries get print 2 times, in yellow and in black, with the black aligned on left.
I solve that problem putting in _style.css under #hotspots the follow: color:transparent;

I hope this is useful for someone having the same problem.

BlueJoe
BlueJoe
Pilot fish

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Fri, 15Apr10 04:04

If your [[]] are in toptext or table entries, you should use document.write to output your text. If it's in a hit target, you need to return the string. The Name() function in the example shows how to write one function that works in both places.

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby BlueJoe » Fri, 15Apr10 18:08

Infact I use the function in Toptext and table entries at same time and I use document.write and i return the string.

My function is something like this:

function printThis()
{
var tot=readVar('need');
if (tot==2)
{
var answer="Ok. I have what I need. Now I can go to her.";
else
{
var answer="I don't have yet what I need";
}
document.write(answer);
return answer;
}

As you can see in the picture here:
http://www.angelfire.com/stars/watchers ... double.jpg

The text is print 2 times in Table entries (in yellow and in black).
This problem i solve writing color:transparent; in _style.css under #hotspots

BlueJoe
BlueJoe
Pilot fish

Postby kexter » Fri, 15Apr10 18:45

@BlueJoe:
Your solution quite literally just hides the problem instead of solving it. Look at the example more carefully, your function should look something like the following.
Code: Select all
function printThis(skipWrite) {
  var answer;
  if (readVar("need") === 2) {
    answer = "Ok. I have what I need. Now I can go to her.";
  } else {
    answer = "I don't yet have what I need.";
  }
  if (typeof skipWrite === "undefined") {
    document.write(answer);
  }
  return answer;
}
Note the skipWrite parameter. and the check around the document.write() statement.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby BlueJoe » Fri, 15Apr10 19:39

Thanks Kexter,

That works perfect. Thanks for the help.

At first I didn't understand really the meaning of skipWrite.

BlueJoe
BlueJoe
Pilot fish

Postby lustful_illumination » Mon, 15Apr27 15:03

I've tried it out. It was interesting. Do I understand that right? The generator creates such quests like 'you have to open that door'?
lustful_illumination
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Mon, 15Jun08 01:43

I just uploaded Adventure Creator v6.2.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Mostly bugfixes. I got the one from BlueJoe and another from Kexter, plus a few I found.
AdventureCreator.exe, _functions.js, and _style.css all changed.

The one substantive update is a new mode for AnimHelper. Now when startSide is 5, it divides the image up into a 3x3 grid and lets you load different images depending on which tile you're in. This allows for circle animations if the user moves the mouse in a circle around the outside of the picture. You need to have a 9 frame animation where the first frame is in the upper left corner, the second is in the upper middle corner, the third in the upper right, the fourth in the middle left, etc.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Mon, 15Jun08 16:02

Somewhere along the way, I lost my subscription to this thread...

Thanks for the update Tlaero! Seems to be working great on my end!

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby Wolfschadowe » Tue, 15Jul07 01:30

So...it's been a while.

Feature Request:

In Advanced UI mode, at the bottom (or somewhere) include a new large, multi-line text box for page comment. This would insert text somewhere in the page as an HTML comment and will pull the information back up into AC if the page is reloaded.

Sample Scenario: A page has in onclick for an option: choose('ztemp2',2,'page1.htm','page2.htm')

Comment box could contain a note reminding the dev, or informing deep testers what is intended, such as:

Page Comment: "ztemp2 is tracking if the player kissed or not. If over two, then they kissed in the past and the character is receptive and page1 is loaded, if not, page2 is loaded."

Or..whatever. Basically, gives an easy place to make a comment about the intent of the page, and it's easier that trying to record it in body/header bypass.
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Tue, 15Jul07 05:04

Is the intent to see the comment in AC or in the HTML? You could certainly do this today in one of the bypasses. Is the issue that it's not on the main page? One thing I was thinking about was making some sort of visible notification if there's something in the bypass. I've had issues where I forgot there was something in a bypass and replicated it to a bunch of other pages. Would that help or do you want it to be more handy on the main page?

Does anyone use the features in Advanced UI mode? That was stuff I used to use until I worked out another way to do them. If it was just me, maybe I'll remove them in a future version to make space for the comment?

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Tue, 15Jul07 06:44

I always keep the advanced mode on, but then, I have a lot of screen real-estate as well.

The intent is to see the comment in AC, and possibly also Game View, but both are really luxuries. Mainly it's for remembering what some variable values are being set for, or commenting about how the logic in onclick is supposed to route for functions like choose() or maybe setVar().
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby kexter » Tue, 15Jul07 07:11

I don't think it's wise to clutter the UI even more for a feature that would be seldom used. I'd evaluate the possibility of making the onclick fields multi-line and just trimming out the line-breaks on export, and re-adding them while loading a page - just split up on ";"s into new lines. /**/-style comments in the onclick fields should work fine this way - I think.
tlaero wrote:Does anyone use the features in Advanced UI mode?
You know I'm on the opinion that completely removing the Advanced UI mode is the way to go.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby tlaero » Wed, 15Jul08 03:04

Wolf, you have Advanced UI on, but you never use any of the fields in it, right? If I took them away, you wouldn't miss them?

With Super and Syl switching to WBA, it might be just you and me using AC at this point. So, I guess if you don't use them, and I don't use them, they're safe to remove.

It still feels like the bypasses are good for this, though. Let me think about it some.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Wed, 15Jul08 03:11

Nope, I don't really use the Advanced UI fields.
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby discofox » Wed, 15Jul08 15:38

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help me out with Tutorial #4. Everything runs smoothly, I just can't see "Your current score is __." at the bottom. Although, "Save" and "Restore" do show up at the bottom. Here's a pic.

I tried different things to make the score appear but nothing worked. I then thought, "What if it's there, but you just can't see it...".

So, it is there but you have to highlight it to see it. I checked on the _game.js file on the Tutorial #4 folder to see if there were any differences compared to my _game.js file. There wasn't. I then ran the _begin.htm file in the Tutorial #4 folder and I couldn't see "Your current score is _." there either. Could someone help me out and explain why you can't see "Your current score is _." but you can see "Save" and "Restore"? Thanks.
discofox
Pilot fish

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators