Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator main thread

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Oct26 03:18

Superawesomemans wrote:Oh, is that where hose phantom text boxes came from? Was wondering what we sup wih those

Actually, no. You were using an older version of AC. In the earlier versions I had AC create a small hit target in the top left corner of the image because I thought it was an error to have a map section without any hit targets. I changed it when I added the yellow border if there was a hit target (roughly the Meeting Keeley timeframe).

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Oct26 03:24

Thanks to a lot of help from Kexter, I've uploaded AC5.1.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Two major changes:
1) change in _functions.js and _style.css to fix the AC5.0 problem where overlapped hit targets don't work.
2) change in AC and the template to move everything to UTF-8. Kexter requested this and it simplifies adding non-Ascii characters on Chrome and Firefox.

Also fixed the bug where you get the context menu when you resize a hit target.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby lee1400 » Thu, 14Dec04 19:12

tlaero, Help please.
I do not see the image in the "Adventure Creator"
lee1400
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby lee1400 » Thu, 14Dec04 19:16

sorry. I corrected. Was checkmark at "Hide image"
lee1400
great white shark

Postby lee1400 » Thu, 14Dec04 22:17

Need help.
I'm stuck in the "Tutorial 3". The variable is incremented by one, if I click on the "sub add" in the "happy = 3 sub add" and then on "I like this place."
lee1400
great white shark

Postby Super » Thu, 14Dec04 22:50

lee1400 wrote:Need help.
I'm stuck in the "Tutorial 3". The variable is incremented by one, if I click on the "sub add" in the "happy = 3 sub add" and then on "I like this place."

Hm... not sure I see the problem?

Oh wait, I think I forgot to send you a data.js in each Tutorial thing... You need to edit the functions into a notepad file called data.js

One thing I think would be helpful would be to open older games in Adventure Creator... like, try opening Envying Celina or Getting to Know Christine. They're created with Adventure Creator, so you can open them with the tool and get a closer look at how the innards work. Was helpful for when I tried to figure certain thing out.

But for starters, have you copied the Example folder? That should have all the files you need to start. Just make sure you only edit game.js out of the starter ones, and save all the HTML files to that folder.

Not sure if that helped, but honestly I was a bit confused as to what your problem was.
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby lee1400 » Thu, 14Dec04 23:03

Super wrote:

Oh wait, I think I forgot to send you a data.js in each Tutorial thing... You need to edit the functions into a notepad file called data.js

One thing I think would be helpful would be to open older games in Adventure Creator... like, try opening Envying Celina or Getting to Know Christine. They're created with Adventure Creator, so you can open them with the tool and get a closer look at how the innards work. Was helpful for when I tried to figure certain thing out.

But for starters, have you copied the Example folder? That should have all the files you need to start. Just make sure you only edit game.js out of the starter ones, and save all the HTML files to that folder.

Not sure if that helped, but honestly I was a bit confused as to what your problem was.

data.js I do not have.

I try to watch the game with Envying Celina.
Where can I find this game?
lee1400
great white shark

Postby Super » Thu, 14Dec04 23:26

lee1400 wrote:
Super wrote:

data.js I do not have.

I try to watch the game with Envying Celina.
Where can I find this game?

Oh I meant Inspiring Celina, Envying Celina is my current project lol

http://supersygames.sylent3d.com/

Download it there. Give it a playthrough first thoug and try to see if there's anything I did you like or whatever
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby lee1400 » Fri, 14Dec05 00:26

Oh I meant Inspiring Celina, Envying Celina is my current project lol

http://supersygames.sylent3d.com/

Download it there. Give it a playthrough first thoug and try to see if there's anything I did you like or whatever

Ок
lee1400
great white shark

Postby tlaero » Thu, 14Dec18 07:31

I've finally decided how I'm going to handle touch control of animations in AC. I just uploaded AC version 5.2 http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

This version doesn't implement touch animations yet, but it heads in that direction. Mostly, my future plans don't need onmousemove, down, up, etc, so I added a setting under Edit to hide those fields and simplify the UI. I'm the only person whose ever used them so far, so the rest of you probably would prefer not to see them.

Edit->Use Advanced UI. Defaults to off, but you can toggle it at will. You only need to update the exe. The rest didn't change.

Soon I'll revamp the example with an example mouse/touch control page.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Thu, 14Dec18 07:36

Lee, welcome to the Lagoon. Sorry I haven't been responsive. If you have any more questions about AdventureCreator, I'll try to answer them.

SuperAwesome, thank you for answering the previous questions.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Dec21 02:58

I just uploaded version 5.3. http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

This version is what I'm going to use for Mouse/Touch control of animations. It adds functions to _functions.js for handling them from the non-Advanced UI. Alas, no example yet.

I also optimized the "UpdateAll" routine in AC. It should be faster and less ugly now.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Wed, 14Dec24 00:07

Updated to 5.4 (same link).

Most useful change is that you can now do multiple functions in an onclick. The thing that stopped us before was something I put in to workaround a bug in firefox. It appears that bug has been fixed, because without the workaround, FF still works. If you want to call multiple functions, just separate them with semicolons (;). Thanks to Kexter for figuring this out.

Changed the varPlus and varMinus in _functions.js to work like varPlus1/varMinus1 if you leave the second parameter off. So "varPlus("happy", 1)" and "varPlus("happy")" do the same thing. varPlus("happy", 3) still works like before.

Changed toptext to hide the <br> and enter one automatically if you hit ENTER. Don't type <br> anymore, or you'll get two newlines.

I also spent some time learning from Kexter (a CSS master) and made the example prettier.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Thu, 14Dec25 02:41

And one more update. (Can you tell I'm on vacation?) Now version 5.5. http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Changes are in GameView. It now word wraps rather than horizontal scrolling.
There's also a box at the top of GameView. "Allow Text Selection." If you check that, you can select and copy text from GameView. When text is selectable, it can get in the way of scrolling, so I expect people to leave that box unchecked most of the time and only check it when they want to copy something.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Thu, 15Jan22 16:56

Hiya Tlaero!

It seems like it may have been a whole week since I bugged you about a feature request, sooo....

Feature Request: Recursive Game View and AC support

While the jury is still out, voting for BEW seems to support an episodic release schedule. If that does occur, A feature that would help me immensely would be to put each episode in it's own folder under "files". I set up a small test project, and AC seems to nominally support this, it tends to break Game View. Additionally, the CSS files are not detected in subfolders, requiring either duplicate css files, or manual editing. Also, I get a strange index missing error when using the AC navigation buttons to follow a link to a sub folder with game view open, but then Game View shows the files in that folder only.

Images curently work fine in a subfolder environment, as do the follow link buttons when using relational links ie: episode1/file1.htm works fine to navigate down, and ../menu.htm works fine to navigate up.

I would envision a file structure similar to:

Files (Main Menu, JS, common files.)
|- Images
|- episode1 (htm files for episode 1
| |- images (Episode one Images)
|- episode2
| | - images
|- etc....

or perhaps
Files
|- images
|- Act 1
| |- images
| |- episode1
| | |- images
| |- episode 2
| | | - images
| |- etc...
|- Act 2
| |- images
| |- etc....

I suspect this could be handled by setting a root directory in AC. From my testing, AC seems 90% there in the ability to handle a recursive structure. Of course, some things that look easy to the user can be very complicated to the developer. :)

Also...I can't remember the last time I made a text-based file tree. takes me back...

Thanks for Everything Tlaero!!

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators