Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator main thread

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14Oct18 04:00

Very cool, Ariane. I'll play with your template changes this weekend. I'm sure there's something we can do to make the location of the toptext configurable. Currently I'm on again, off again trying to work out a way to do hit targets that work on touch screens on the different browsers. Thanks for the kudos!

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby SoulMate » Sat, 14Oct18 09:31

tlaero wrote:Very cool, Ariane. I'll play with your template changes this weekend. I'm sure there's something we can do to make the location of the toptext configurable. Currently I'm on again, off again trying to work out a way to do hit targets that work on touch screens on the different browsers. Thanks for the kudos!

Tlaero

If you need help with the hit targets.
Ill be willing to help. What problems are you running into?
SoulMate
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14Oct18 17:44

Thank you, SoulMate. I'm trying to put together a simplified test I can build from. Kexter got me started (thanks!), and here's what I have so far:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y050o ... uptest.zip

I'm testing on a Surface Pro 3 (basically a touch laptop) with IE, Chrome, and Firefox using both touch and mouse. I'm trying to get the following behavior.
Mouse: Hover over the hit target, and the popup text appears. Click the hit target once, and you follow the link.
Touch: Tap the hit target, and the popup text appears. Tap the hit target again, and you follow the link.

Currently, the mouse works on all 3. Touch works on Chrome and Firefox, and sorta works on IE. In IE, tapping once correctly brings up the popup, but you then have to tap twice to follow the link. I'm trying to remove the need for the third tap.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14Oct18 18:57

Ooh, I think I've figured it out. I've just re-uploaded the popuptest to the same link as the post before this one. It not does pretty much what I want in all 6 cases. If anyone would like to download it and try on other browsers, that would be cool.

Edit: I inadvertently uploaded the wrong version. Updated.

Tlaero
Last edited by tlaero on Sun, 14Oct19 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Sat, 14Oct18 21:49

I uploaded AC 4.9.1. It's just a quick update for Wolf to make GameView reload files if you close and reopen it. I'm working on a bigger update to handle touch screens, etc.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Sat, 14Oct18 23:04

Thanks Tlaero!

Your awesomeness knows no bounds!

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Mon, 14Oct20 00:40

I just uploaded AdventureCreator5.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Beware: This is a major change that requires changes in your files to work. AC5 can read AC4 files and convert them, but it can't write AC4 files. So, if you're in the middle of a game, don't upgrade until you're ready. I've uploaded the last AC4 (4.9.1) separately in case you lose it (link on the first post in this thread).

One minor change and one major one. First, for Ariane, I added Edit->Move TopText to the Bottom. If you set that and save your file, the toptext will go right above the "says" table, the way you were doing with your SITA tests.

Now the major change. AC5 makes touch-compatible games. I tested it on IE, Chrome, and Firefox, both with mouse and touch. That's the good news. The bad news is that you need to change a bunch of things in your game to make it work.

There's a document in the distro that explains what you need to do, but here's an overview.

Back up your game before you do anything!
The process is going to change all of your files. Make sure you have a backup in case they all get screwed up.

Update AdventureCreator.exe, AdventureCreator_template.txt, and _functions.js. Since you weren't supposed to modify those files, you should be able to just copy them over.

Update _style.css, _size.css, and _size2.css.
These are more tricky since these are files you can modify, so you've probably diverged from what's there. However, if you don't get this right, the links in your game won't work. I suggest renaming your versions, copying over the ones in the Example, and looking at them side by side in your editor.

Finally, launch AC5, open your game, and do File->UpdateAll. This will convert all of your files for you. I suggest NOT opening GameView before doing this, because that tends to slow the process down, especially if you have a lot of files.

I'm here to help if you need anything explained.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Mon, 14Oct20 00:49

Oh, by the way. I got rid of the ImgRight and ImgLeft bars. They got in my way, and no one seemed to be using them, so I decided that touch support was worth more. If there's a strong desire for them, we'll see about adding them back later.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Super » Mon, 14Oct20 02:42

What exactly were the imgLeft and imgRight bars? I kind of just ignored most of the boxes on the screen, honestly, so there were a ton I never really got lol.
Super
legend of the South Seas

Postby Wolfschadowe » Mon, 14Oct20 03:44

Whoa Tlaero! That's awesome. Looks like it's time to brush off the old demo, update it with the new features of the game and see if I can get it working as a touch interface Proof of Concept on AC5. If that works, I'll re-release the Demo with the new interface and achievements system. I may even throw in a bonus scene for those that get the Demo Mastery achievement.

If that all works out, then I'll convert BEW to AC5 as well. I'd love to bring touch capability to the game. Opens it up for all those Android/maxiPad users out there!

I can't express enough how critical the Adventure Creator is to my game's development. Thank you so much for making and maintaining the tool!

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby ArianeB » Tue, 14Oct21 06:21

Thanks Tlaero, good changes!
ArianeB
great white shark

Postby smutmcgee » Tue, 14Oct21 20:21

Just a thought, tlaero - have you considered putting Adventure Creator up on GitHub? Might be useful for tracking issues or having bug fixes supplied by other people.
smutmcgee
Pilot fish

Postby tlaero » Thu, 14Oct23 05:15

I added information to the "Converting to Adventure Creator 5.docx." Please download and update that file.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby kexter » Fri, 14Oct24 13:46

If anyone runs into the "overlapping areas no longer work in AC5"-problem, fear not for I've already notified our gracious lady and sent her a possible remedy to the ailment. I've also sent her a fix for the long troubling interface issue of "opening a file by double clicking on it in the open-dialog could create phantom areas" which, by looking at "Inspiring Celina", plagued Superawesomemans throughout development.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Super » Fri, 14Oct24 15:21

Oh, is that where hose phantom text boxes came from? Was wondering what we sup wih those
Super
legend of the South Seas

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators