Adventure Creator original thread

Tips, techniques and tutorials about creation tools.

Re: Adventure Creator main thread

Postby kexter » Sun, 14Aug31 00:50

Also note that GotoPage() is another predefined function in _functions.js, so you shouldn't redeclare it if you choose to use it.
@kextercius
kexter

sex: Masculine

Postby tlaero » Sun, 14Aug31 07:26

kexter wrote:Okay this is most probably going to sound weird, but I hacked together a version of AC which should work on lower resolutions (1024*768 and anything in this region). Basically I just made it start up in 1000x700 (give or take) and enabled the vertical scroll bar so everything should be accessible. Apart from these modifications it's exactly the same as V4.7. If anyone (SILePER, simarimas) wants to give it a try it's here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/qd3d5jx5qidvc66/AdvetureCreator47Mod.zip

Note to tlaero: I just messed around with the logic in the AdventureCreator.ChangeSize() method, it's far from perfect but something similar should work.

Thanks kexter. A while ago I added scroll bars to AdventureCreator and configured them in ChangeSize. Apparently I broke them in a later update. I was planning to investigate when I got a chance, but I've been really slammed recently. Can you send me your changes?

Tlaero
tlaero
Lady Tlaero, games and coding expert

sex: Female

Postby kexter » Sun, 14Aug31 15:11

tlaero wrote:Can you send me your changes?
Tlaero

PM(s) sent, and I have updated the version on the previous link (http://www.mediafire.com/download/qd3d5jx5qidvc66/AdvetureCreator47Mod.zip) with one incorporating both changes.

Wolfschadowe, the second modification changes how the files are sorted in GameView. It's a bit smarter, so it should suit your naming scheme better. ("n1-bar1.htm", "n1-bar2.htm", "n1-bar10.htm", etc) It shouldn't come with a big speed penalty, but I don't have access to your legendarily large game, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could give some feedback on it.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Wolfschadowe » Sun, 14Aug31 17:51

kexter wrote:Also note that GotoPage() is another predefined function in _functions.js, so you shouldn't re-declare it if you choose to use it.
Yup. I went a long time without using it and thought I added it manually, but as you mention it, I recall seeing it in one of the tutorials and finding it in functions.JS. I don't know why I thought I had added it manually to my game.js. I'll need to edit my other post to make sure nobody copies it into their game.js and creates sadness for themselves.

kexter wrote:Wolfschadowe, the second modification changes how the files are sorted in GameView. It's a bit smarter, so it should suit your naming scheme better. ("n1-bar1.htm", "n1-bar2.htm", "n1-bar10.htm", etc) It shouldn't come with a big speed penalty, but I don't have access to your legendarily large game, so it would be greatly appreciated if you could give some feedback on it.
I popped this into a separate directory and took it for a spin. I'm not seeing the re-sizable scrollbars on my render system where I tried it out. One monitor is 1920x1080 and the second is 1440x900. The 1440x900 monitor clips. Is it doing an autodetect? If so, it would be nice to also have a manual override in the menus.

Regarding the Game View, I don't notice any difference in speed, although my laptop where I normally use it is not available at the moment. My render/gaming system is significantly heftier, so it's not necessarily apples to apples comparison, but nothing glaringly bad is happening when displaying 2000+ pages in game view. :)

I do like the new sorting though. I changed my naming format for later scenes to thbarem001.htm and thbarfec042.htm as examples, but I do see that the older n1-bar2.htm is coming in a more human logical place between 1 and 3 rather than the machine logical place between 19 and 20. Thanks for that! It is still very helpful to me, especially as bugs and minor changes are made back in that scene, which still happens regularly.

Nice to see Tlaero getting a little help too! I've run her through the ringer with all my change requests. ;)

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby kexter » Sun, 14Aug31 18:54

Wolfschadowe wrote:I'm not seeing the re-sizable scrollbars on my render system where I tried it out. One monitor is 1920x1080 and the second is 1440x900. The 1440x900 monitor clips. Is it doing an autodetect? If so, it would be nice to also have a manual override in the menus.

So it's a multi-monitor setup? I think I have a work around for it, but I can't test it at the moment. I updated the file once again (the link is the same as before), check how it behaves - it should start up a bit smaller with the vertical scroll bar enabled. It checks each monitor's resolution and should adapt to the lowest one.
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Wolfschadowe » Sun, 14Aug31 20:19

That seems to work. I like that I can re-size it larger to make the scroll bar disappear, and then shrink it back down if I move it to the smaller monitor. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

Later I will try it on my laptop which goes triple monitor configuration in the docking station. (Built-in 1920x1080, Portait 1280x1024, 2nd 1920x1080.)
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby kexter » Sun, 14Aug31 21:13

Theoretically I could make it dynamically resize itself when moving across monitors. So it would shrink in height on the lower resolution monitor and pop back up to full height on the larger one without the need to resize it manually. The question is would it be helpful or annoying?
@kextercius
kexter

Postby Wolfschadowe » Sun, 14Aug31 21:27

I'm not sure if dynamic sizing or a manual toggle in a dropdown would be better. Really, my preference would be standard window sizing (maximize, minimize, free resize with scrollbars, Windows 8 Snap, etc..)

Talero mentioned that she was considering and advanced/basic mode. I think freesizing would be a good option for advanced mode, and the managed sizing would be good for basic mode.

Just kind of brainstorming it.

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Mon, 14Sep01 00:21

Okay, I just uploaded version 4.8.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

This version adopts standard windows sizing. You're allowed to grow or shrink both dimensions as you see fit and the scroll bars will appear and disappear as needed. I also enabled the maximize button and set it automatically if your screen is too small. I tested it at 2560x1440 and at 1024x768. It should work fine on laptops now.

Thank you, Kexter, for the encouragement.

I'm going to look at Kexter's suggested multi-number gameview sort next.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Mon, 14Sep01 07:10

I implemented Kexter's super sort, but it takes almost twice as long to open GameView on BEW. I'll spend some time analyzing the perf and see if I can speed it up. As it currently stands, I'm not sure the tradeoffs are worthwhile.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Mon, 14Sep01 21:17

False alarm. My implementation had a bug that slowed it down. When I analyzed the perf it quickly narrowed down to the code that had the bug.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Tue, 14Sep02 03:06

Okay, I just uploaded version 4.9. This, with Kexter's help, makes the GameView sort account for filenames with multiple numbers. So BEW's d1foo2.htm naming will sort correctly.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/six8f ... reator.zip

Thanks Kexter, for all your help.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby Wolfschadowe » Tue, 14Sep02 15:46

This is awesome! I always get excited when a new version of AC comes out. It's always like playing with a new toy.

I finally got to try this on my laptop and GameView seems to take a little longer to open, maybe 30 seconds instead of 20 or 25, but once it's open it is snappy and responsive. I don't mind the initial opening time of game view since I usually open it once a day. For contrast, my Render system will open GameView in about 3-5 seconds. Of course, it has a solid state drive, lot's of RAM, and 8 logical cores (4 physical). I think the little extra time for opening is well worth the extra sorting functionality.

The resize/full window control is AWESOME!

Thank you both, Tlaero and Kexter, for your work on this update!

Wolfschadowe
Wolfschadowe
legend of the South Seas

Postby tlaero » Wed, 14Sep03 03:02

Don't get TOO excited yet. Kexter found a bug that I introduced. a.htm sorts after a1.htm. I'll fix that and re-upload. I probably won't bump the version number, though.

Tlaero
tlaero

Postby tlaero » Wed, 14Sep03 03:52

Okay, fixed version uploaded. Smart sorting with multiple numbers is complicated, and I suspect there are still some edge cases, not to mention matters of interpretation (which should come first, aa.htm or a1a.htm?) but I think it should work for the majority of the world. If you find places where it sorts incorrectly please do two things.

1) Report it here with the two filenames that sort wrong.
2) Tell me how much it bothers you.

I may not fix it (trade off between code complexity and functionality) but I'd like to hear any real world places where it doesn't work.

Tlaero
tlaero

PreviousNext

Return to The workshop of creators