Re: RagsGamesForum

Postby Ipcryan » Sun, 10Jan10 02:24

how do you extract and play spellA?
Ipcryan
Pilot fish

Postby almeida67 » Sun, 10Jan10 21:09

Ipcryan
apellA, known generally as Spell4All, is not Rags game. It was already discussed in this Forum. It runs in any browser, when you click index.html. If you
For help, open the topic at:
http://sharks-lagoon.aceboard.fr/215394 ... ll4all.htm
where is the discussion.
Even Erana made a small change in a html file, to make it a little more easy.
We are all waiting the V14 of this quite good game.
I think that psycho72 put this game in the download site, because the structure could be done in Rags, but it's a different game engine.
I don't know if psycho72 put the different patches for this game in this .rar zipped file.
Anyway the downloads specified in sharks forum for this topic are working. It's better that you download from there, to be sure!
For extraction of .rar you can use winrar or any winzip modern version. The downloads specified in sharks forum are .zip files.
almeida67
lagoon predator

Postby almeida67 » Sun, 10Jan10 21:18

Ipcryan
Any discussion you want to introduce to spellA or Spell4All, please use the existent correct topic I give above, not this one. It is not a Rags game.
almeida67
lagoon predator

Postby Ipcryan » Sun, 10Jan10 22:54

sorry, i thought it was a rags since it was in the archive
Ipcryan
Pilot fish

Postby psycho72 » Mon, 10Jan11 10:58

have posted some new updates
also rags player. thanks for your appreciation
happy ragsing
keep checking for updates
by the way spell4all full update in archieve
psycho72
lagoon predator

Postby ledino » Mon, 10Jan11 19:27

For Bodywerks, I have a problem, I can't set the difficulty of the game.
So I can't do anything.
ledino
great white shark

Postby ExLibris » Mon, 10Jan11 22:35

@ledino
My guess would be that Bodywerks is not compatible with version 1.4 of RAGS for some reason. If you can I would suggest using an older version, as it certainly used to work properly (I've just confirmed that v1.3 works correctly).

@psycho72
As a matter of interest did you get permission from the authors of the games before hosting them? Legally speaking as copyright holders they have the right to control distribution of their works, though in practical terms there's nothing they can really do.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby almeida67 » Tue, 10Jan12 02:12

Bodywerks seems to work well with version 1.4.
I think that the version is the problem.
If you install 1.4 as last version, and so any *.rags will look for it, and after you click Bodywerks, it will open perfect with the difficulty window.
But if you open the version and you open a new game, the load is imperfect. It is not the only one. Etranks, for instance and not always, but several times, you must close it with task manager, impossible to close by exit: you have to go by "end task".
I will report these bugs to Steve in the Rags Forum.
For playing I think it is better just now to stay with the 1.34.
About the hosting, I suppose that it is the actual hosting sites for these games that could be perhaps a problem. The authors made an open game, with all download aloud. So this in nothing interfere with their copyright. And if these authors have their games in several hosting sites, like for instance Hypnopics and Aifgames, it seems to me that the diffusion is aloud. To have them now in Sharks Forum only increases the diffusion, in the interest of the authors.
In the Help Game Info of Rags of each game, I never notice a written clear mention of hosting site exclusivity, where it should be. Mention that Sharks or Pusooy, as examples, have made in their games.
almeida67
lagoon predator

Postby psycho72 » Tue, 10Jan12 08:49

actually no however if they ask me to remove the same from the list i do that. hope that is ok. if not will remove
cheers!
psycho72
lagoon predator

Postby ExLibris » Tue, 10Jan12 13:10

The main reason I mentioned it is that there's a thread on the Hypnopics Collective at the moment where someone is asking for permission to host games on a Yahoo Group.

The fact that some of the games have been posted on aifgames shouldn't be taken to mean that the authors gave blanket permission for their games to be posted anywhere, as I don't think whoever posted them to aifgames got permission either (judging by the way the author's names are misspelled or missing).

There was a thread on Hypnopics discussing distribution without permission (http://hypnopics-collective.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16127), which you may want to have a look at. (short version: some authors didn't mind their games being distributed, some didn't like it at all)

I would personally be in favour of asking permission, mainly because it's the polite thing to do. Also, posting a game here doesn't help the author if they don't know about it. Feedback is the only reward authors get, and if they don't know that people are talking about their games here, they won't get the feedback.

Anyhow, that's just my $0.02.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby psycho72 » Tue, 10Jan12 16:38

noted will mention the same on site
if any objections will remove
psycho72
lagoon predator

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Jan12 19:23

Tossen wrote : ... and just ignore some ppl, who love to have problems.
First of all I'm not ExLibris lawyer. I don't see that he "loves to have problems" (besides getting stuck in some games...)! He was just calling Psycho's attention for some ethics (and, yes, politeness) that should be always present when publishing direct links. I myself was thinking about issuing a similar post. And don't misunderstand me, I appreciate Psycho's intention (one more source for getting the files) when compiling all that list. This provided that he (she) uses the same links from the source, ie if he didn't upload copies of the games (and RAGS player), so creating new links for his (her) own "profit". This part I didn't check as I'm not a cop and don't want to be.

Thanks!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Trucla » Tue, 10Jan12 22:58

@Tossen: Neither do I want fights. I've read your post, and that's your opinion, that I respect, as I've expressed mine.

Nevertheless, it was really unfair referring Psycho, and forgetting to refer YADS and Almeida in the very first (I would say unique) place, Yads having the guts for letting lagooners know about the existence of the engine, and Almeida opening a topic for discussing it and its games, publishing links to the places where are all (to my knowledge) of them. Psycho has just taken the links to the games, and published them in a site where you don't need to register.

Furthermore as ExLibris said the feedback to the authors is very important, in order that they continue their efforts, or even give up. The worst thing for an author is being ignored! And without people making (especially good) games using RAGS, sooner or later RAGS (that I play with for 4 years now) will disappear.

Peace!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby psycho72 » Wed, 10Jan13 08:48

thanks guys for your feedback. i have no intention making profit from the same. site where registered is a free site. as i have clarified on hypnotic forum site if the forum wishes me to remove the same will do so immediately. cheers
psycho72
lagoon predator

Postby psycho72 » Wed, 10Jan13 09:13

hey guys, have deactivated the link since seem to have displeased several authors which was unaware of.
psycho72
lagoon predator

PreviousNext

Return to RAGS games