lydia's rags corner

The specific forum for rags games creators

Re: lydia's rags corner

Postby Tjommi » Sat, 10Feb27 22:42

I entered this thread rather late, I've been reading it, but I am also reading on my sosiology/antrophology exam next wedensday, so I haven't been to active here on this forum lately. First of all I am happy to see both you Lydia and TinaB have arrived at Sharks lagoon. I hope you brought your bikinis and suntan lotion. For referance I am the same Tjommi that are registered on both TF and Hypnocollective.

Once that is said, you allready know how I feel about your games Lydia. I come with umbrella drinks and the mother of all peace pipes. As you are new here, you might not know Trucla very well. He might come across as a little harsh as he is very blunt, but I can assure you that at the end of the day he is a nice guy with a burning heart for the rags game community. The shots that you are referring to is without exceptions constructive critisism ment to help and encourage not to push people down in the mud.

Anyway, over to my real agenda here. I am very happy to see you here in the Lagoon Lydia, and you too TinaB, because you have been in the game for a while and are real resources to the community when it comes to designing and creating rag games. I am really looking forward to your next releases, and I hope that you will help us establish this little corner of Sharks lagoon as a Rag game creator forum.

Tjommi
star of the reef

Postby lydia » Sun, 10Feb28 04:16

Trucla

I was all prepared to let things lie after having my reply. But with your comment:

"Just one comment: You are a great writer but a really bad reader and rather impolite!"

You really are going to try and play innocent and say I misunderstood your pm? So let's share a quote from your supposed 'innocent pm'.

Trula "I found your texts more than enjoyable, and only because of the texts your games (for me, of course) don't fall into the "mediocre" pile. Otherwise, they would be even lower than that. It's not only the bugs, but also a lot of (testing) garbage not removed."

What part of that was suppose to be a compliment? I did not misread this comment. You say that you don't like demos but you continue to play them. And then complain when a demo game has demo elements. For example, coding that tests for errors in a game.

And just one example of how you are abusive to game makers on the forum:
"Please imitate our host, Mr (should I say Sir?) Shark and publish your game only when it's finished and well alpha and beta tested by some experienced gamers.
Otherwise, much like many other RAGS games in the "market", you are concurring to giving RAGS a bad name."

Who nominated you to decide what gives rags a bad name? I ask you yet again to provide constructive criticism instead of attacking game creators. And to leave your grading comments to yourself. Once again, show me what great contribution you have so everyone can grade your efforts.

Tjommi
How is the above even remotely constructive criticism as you try to defend his statements below?
"The shots that you are referring to is without exceptions constructive critisism ment to help and encourage not to push people down in the mud."

Once again, I've had my say and am willing to leave the subject lie. Unless it is brought up again or Trula decides to have another go at someone.
lydia
great white shark

Postby justme » Sun, 10Mar07 11:55

Lydia won't be on this forum for awhile. I'm making this posting in an effort to answer a question from AngryH:

Lydia: where do I find you games? (complete or beta, I don't care)

Lydia has created 3 games and they are all at Hypnopics.
1. University Sim-completed and as Lydia tends to call it, retired. Forum link:
http://hypnopics-collective.net/viewtop ... 11&t=13055
Lydia has posted in the forum to ask players interested in a link for this game to request one in the University Sim forum.

2. University Sim 2-a demo with a great amount of content as there are over 10 endings. Forum link:
http://hypnopics-collective.net/viewtop ... 649d5ea546
The game link will be part of the first post in the forum.

3. Dartmoth Manor-a very early demo. Forum link:
http://hypnopics-collective.net/viewtop ... 11&t=16779
See the first post in this forum as well for the game link.

I ask in return that everyone please do not create a different link for these games. Lydia pays a good deal of attention to how many times her games are downloaded to indicate player interest along with feedback posted on the hypnopics forum. When a different link is used and feedback is posted to a forum she isn't aware of, she won't know that these additional players have interest in her games. Lydia has refered to University Sim 2 from time to time as retired as well. Lydia has already promised me that I'll receive the final version of the game. I just wanted players to be aware that their downloads and feedback play a direct role in whether Lydia posts another update for a game.
justme
great white shark

Postby AngryH » Mon, 10Mar15 16:56

Just downloaded. Many thanks! A RAGS dating sim is definitely my cup of tea!!!
AngryH
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby justme » Sun, 10Mar21 08:19

AngryH wrote :

Just downloaded. Many thanks! A RAGS dating sim is definitely my cup of tea!!!

You are welcome. The dating sim is my favorite game of Lydia's as well. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be a large following for the genre. Lydia stopped posting updates as there wasn't much expressed interest in the game anymore. She was working on the Manor game but I'm not a real fan of horror stories. I was very interested in the strong female character who appears to be the main character in the game. You can only follow her through one day right now, but I already know that I want to know more of her story. Plus a little encouragement when the time allows to suggest picking up the dating sim story again.
justme
great white shark

Postby lydia » Wed, 10Mar31 04:24

Thanks for the assistance justme and your interest angryh. I'm working on an update for my Dartmoth Manor game and once it's ready will be looking for player impressions. I would find it helpful to be able to post in this thread so my games will be together instead of in the project section. I would be looking to add my other games if things went well. Thus I'm posting this suggestion to see if it's acceptable/getting offical forum ruling on it in advance of posting.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Hey Chief!!! » Wed, 10Mar31 09:16

Lydia, please don't give up some of us really enjoy all your work. For me I do not like to say the the same as everyone else. If some one has stated my take on some thing I try and keep quite.

What feedback form us is the most helpful?
Wayne the Confused?
Hey Chief!!!
great white shark

Postby lydia » Thu, 10Apr01 03:56

wmabie wrote : Lydia, please don't give up some of us really enjoy all your work.

Thanks for posting and I'm glad that you've liked my games. I'm trying to find a forum that is interested in my type of games. Guess I'll never get use to the fact that such a small percentage of people who download a game will have an interest in posting in a forum about it.

For me I do not like to say the the same as everyone else. If some one has stated my take on some thing I try and keep quite.

Even hearing that you agree with another poster is helpful for me. But I'm sure you are selling yourself short. There is a wide variety of what players are interested in seeing in there games. A great way to have a chance at seeing something you'd like is to post and suggest an idea. If an idea is a good fit for what I'm trying to do, I may well incorporate it in a future update.

What feedback form us is the most helpful?
Wayne the Confused?

Great question. If I don't provide some guidance than it's my own bad if I don't receive feedback along the lines of what I'm looking for. One of the most important areas for me is what do you think about the characters. Are they interesting enough that they grab your attention and you are eager to continue playing to find out more about them? Do you have a favorite character? Do the story elements appeal to the player? For example with manor, I have the main character, a girl, being separate from the player. I would be looking to see if the player felt this was a good match for my game. Is the writing and style of game play a good match for the overall game? Which parts of the game did they like most and those that they didn't care for. Is there a good trade off between foreshadowing events and surprise happenings? Are the clues to solve a puzzle sufficient or should some additional measure of help be inserted for more assistance? What scene might you most like to see that hasn't happened in the game to date.

Hopely this provides some insight into what I'm looking for. It's really about learning what a player's impression of the game are. Hearing your take on the game can lead to a better version whether it's a new scene or fixing a bug that I haven't caught. I also like getting the opportunity to talk to players.
lydia
great white shark

Postby AngryH » Thu, 10Apr01 20:08

lydia wrote :
Thanks for posting and I'm glad that you've liked my games. I'm trying to find a forum that is interested in my type of games. Guess I'll never get use to the fact that such a small percentage of people who download a game will have an interest in posting in a forum about it.

Let me tell you, there are three reasons why most people use this kind of forum:

1) I've just played a game (or created a game) and I want to reccomend it.
2) I'm stuck, please help me!
3) This game sucks! Big time!

Therefore, once the word has spread, no news = good news.
AngryH
lagoon predator

sex: Masculine

Postby lydia » Fri, 10Apr02 03:14

Thanks for the reply angryh and the well expressed summation. I get that the big draw for players is in actually playing the games. But seems to me there could be more. Feedback/discussions are wonderful incentives for game makers to continue creating games. Plus they are valuable for learning to make better games. Discussions breathe life into a forum. Otherwise a forum is little more than a download site.

While I'm grateful for missing out on the game sucks big time messages, silence isn't exactly a heart warmer either. So just trying to get a handle on whether players here have interest in providing feedback or prefer to just play the games.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Tjommi » Mon, 10Apr05 03:11

I get that the big draw for players is in actually playing the games. But seems to me there could be more. Feedback/discussions are wonderful incentives for game makers to continue creating games. Plus they are valuable for learning to make better games. Discussions breathe life into a forum. Otherwise a forum is little more than a download site.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Allthough most people here in the lagoon are silent lurkers that come here to check out games, you do have a core here of members that like to participate when asked. The reason that you have missed out on the " your game suck " messages is simply because, well your games are good. I am not a programmer, and I don't have much testing experience, but as I said in another thread here in the forum I got a massive experience having played computer games for over 20 years and an uncanny knack for getting myself into strange situations provoking game bugs :) If you want feedback on your games or perhaps help testing/reviewing them I am happy to help, in fact I would be honoured. Image
Tjommi
star of the reef

Postby lydia » Mon, 10Apr05 05:17

I hope I've gotten more accepting of how the gaming biz works. I'm not exspecting large numbers of people to suddenly decide they'd like to provide feedback. I try to respond to everyone who posts and consider suggestions offered. If they are a good fit for the vision of the game, I'm often willing to see if they will work in the game. But posting a game still sometimes feels like sending a message in a bottle. Never knowing if it will reach anyone.

Tjommi:
Thanks for the encouragement. I had some issues to deal with that have set my time table back a fair bit. I've added a number of scenes, but there more in the order of filling out day 1 and some of day two. Putting in options for the player to have choices. And developing several path options. Thus nothing ready for a new version. I do have some parts of the story line that I'd like your opinion on. Settling these will be helpful for moving the story along. I'll send them to you by pm. I hope this falls under what you have an interest in helping with. Ignore them if it doesn't. But if you are interested, you can base your answers on the demo version and how you see the story progressing from there.

If anyone else would like to provide their feedback on a few questions, please let me know.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Henrik » Mon, 10Apr05 05:38

Lyd, I'm a huge fan of your work. For my own tastes, I think you, GoblinBoy and whomever it is who does the Ariane game are at the forefront of AIF/Adult adventure games. Please continue to favor us with your work. Please.

And since you asked for questions...I have some.

1. In the University Sim 2 Demo (I think I'm playing 0.8 which is the most current?) the furthest I can get towards dating Charlie is .....

(Spoiler space, since I'm not sure we have spoiler /tags here)

+++++++
+++++++

+++++++

(SPOILERS AHOY!) The furthest I can get is the "Visit Charlie 3" sequence at the dorm...three dates at the three locations (where all I can do is answer her questions correctly at "Talk About") and the Game Ender at the night club. Am I missing any other good endings with her?

Also, I'm just learning RAGS myself using the hit-or-miss system of "nope, that didn't work right, maybe this." How long does it take you to code your games in RAGS, and do you find it to be the best (I guess as opposed to Adrift or TAGS whatever version) for doing AIF with pictures?

Thanks in advance for any answers or guidance!

(Oh also, the link to the final 2.1 version of your original RAGS dating sim is dead. Any chance of getting you to put that back up on a filehosting service in the near future?)
Henrik
great white shark

Postby lydia » Tue, 10Apr06 03:28

Henrik wrote : Lyd, I'm a huge fan of your work. For my own tastes, I think you, GoblinBoy and whomever it is who does the Ariane game are at the forefront of AIF/Adult adventure games. Please continue to favor us with your work. Please.

Thanks so much. I recall seeing you post on another forum, but wasn't aware you enjoyed my games to such an extent. I've seen goblinboy's name on another forum when I took a peek to see if they might be a fit for my games. I managed to get in a good deal of work on manor this weekend. Went from three paths to planning in fair amounts of detail for eight now. If this continues to progress well, an update shouldn't be too far in the future.

And since you asked for questions...I have some.

1. In the University Sim 2 Demo (I think I'm playing 0.8 which is the most current?) the furthest I can get towards dating Charlie is .....

(Spoiler space, since I'm not sure we have spoiler /tags here)

+++++++
+++++++

+++++++

(SPOILERS AHOY!) The furthest I can get is the "Visit Charlie 3" sequence at the dorm...three dates at the three locations (where all I can do is answer her questions correctly at "Talk About") and the Game Ender at the night club. Am I missing any other good endings with her?

University SIm2 is my favorite of my games. Player reactions however gives all the appearance that it's not one of the more popular types. 008 is the last updated version. I plan to make updates after finishing manor. But as a project for myself and of course my best friend, my biggest fan.

The dorm stage 3 is correct. Did you get to experience movie night? I haven't seen much posted about it, so not sure how many people get to that part. There's also: jogging, her exercise classes, and a rescue option if she disappears. I don't believe anyone has managed that one yet or they haven't posted if they did. Date locations and questions, check. I have in mind items for dates that will give temp hp boosts, increase stats, etc. There's the dating a teacher path and charlie also get's convinced she's a character from a tv show. The night club is an ending(his girl charlie), but will be expanded as well. Having emma datable should be fun to write and I look forward to getting her in some interesting situations. Did that answer your question properly?

Also, I'm just learning RAGS myself using the hit-or-miss system of "nope, that didn't work right, maybe this." How long does it take you to code your games in RAGS, and do you find it to be the best (I guess as opposed to Adrift or TAGS whatever version) for doing AIF with pictures?

Thanks in advance for any answers or guidance!

I've only tried rags for game writing, so not in a position to discuss the other engine merits. I would suggest that you make sure you really enjoy whatever game you are going to make as they are more work than they appear to be! But when you get the engine to work with you, it's kind of cool to see your ideas opening up before you in a game. Length wise will depend on what you would like to do with your game. I always seem to have the multi path variety, so I end up with a much longer project than if I had settled for a couple of endings. Plus it's a spare time project, so it tends to stretch over multiple months. So in sum from what I've seen with my games: write first and foremost for yourself. Be prepared for the business of game making. Ie players prefer to play games, not provide feedback on them. Also, some people will be less than kind if they do post. If they do provide basis for their points, try to be objective and see if making some changes will improve your game. If the changes aren't true to your idea, they aren't going to work for you. It's not a happy moment, but these individuals rarely can construct a valid argument so don't worry to much about them.

Try to start with small experiments in 2 or 3 rooms where you see if you can code things you would like to have in your game. Make it about learning, not about a game yet. The learning curve can be hard enough without trying to pull off an involved game to boot. But most of all, have fun with it.

(Oh also, the link to the final 2.1 version of your original RAGS dating sim is dead. Any chance of getting you to put that back up on a filehosting service in the near future?)

I guess like my games, I have a different take on the whole posting business. University Sim I look at as retired for now anyway. I still encourage fans to post suggestions to its' thread as I'm thinking of taking a look at it when I get a chance to see if an update seems a good idea. So I make a link available if requested in the hypno thread. But I do ask people not to share said link or create their own link or post to another forum. I gauge player interest by download and feedback. Using a different link reduced download count and posting to another forum means I won't see the feedback.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Empyrean » Wed, 10Apr07 22:50

Hi Lydia

The reason there is so much confusion both on your part and on the part of other members here is that as far as game design on the level you're doing is fairly new to this site. With exception to Shark's own games of course. The projects forum is something (as I see it at least), still a work in progress. There are bound to be misunderstandings and I hope these do not put you off your work.

I do have one or two nitpicks though. A repetative mispell throughout the game (well the demo at least) for University Sim 2. You spelled expectations or expecting as "exspecations" or "exspect". As I said, just a nitpick but thought I'd share. ;) The other nitpick is the language your characters use is perhaps a little too, well... too thought out. Not sure if that makes sense. It might be better to say the language is too formal. Friends and even people who have just met tend to talk more casually than those in your game. Think about how you talk to people in your everyday life. ;)

If you need any beta testing done then i'd be happy to offer any help. And I don't just mean spelling. lol.

I read about your recent problem in the hypnotics forum. I hope you're feeling better.
Empyrean
great white shark

PreviousNext

Return to RAGS games