lydia's rags corner

The specific forum for rags games creators

Re: lydia's rags corner

Postby lydia » Tue, 10Jun29 04:15

Squeeky wrote : It has come to my attention that my comment has been of some concern to one member of the Lagoon suggesting that I have been too generous with praise, and with due evidence to support that view.

I have apologised to that member but still these threads as a valuable forum for people of this ilk.

Gee, doesn't that just give one the warm fuzzies? I've had enough of the snide comments from several of the members here. Bitch up a storm but have never created a thing themselves. I'm through with this site and you can have this person be the "hub" from now on. Anyone interested in my games can find me at hypnopics. I no longer have interest in having my games here.
lydia
great white shark

Postby Sexychild68 » Tue, 10Jun29 04:28

that is a shame to hear lydia, from what i understand your games are very good(even tho i haven't played them myself yet)...you just need to ignore the snide remarks of people...it is not worth getting upset about it...have a good life and games creation lydia... :)
Sexychild68
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Greebo » Tue, 10Jun29 05:40

Squeeky wrote : It has come to my attention that my comment has been of some concern to one member of the Lagoon suggesting that I have been too generous with praise, and with due evidence to support that view.

I have apologised to that member but still these threads as a valuable forum for people of this ilk.

I have seen far more in the way of apparently unsolicited praise for Lydia's work and influence in the RAGS community than would warrant paying much attention to just one member with a contrary view.

It seems churlish to me that you should apologise for the hurt feelings of an incognito critic for praising Lydia's part in promoting RAGS here, when what you should really be doing is apologising for the hurt your publishing of these unsubstantiated remarks has clearly caused Lydia, who has always been open and prepared to listen to valid points.

If you really believe what you have been told then publish the detail and be prepared to be damned!
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Squeeky » Tue, 10Jun29 06:18

No Greebo. I have glanced through the RAGS threads a little too hastily over time, not absorbing their full content and was therefore somewhat over zealous in my praise; I have incorrectly understood her to be some "guru" in this genre.

My comment which you cite was fully intended to modify that. I respect lydia's contribution here, that she had drawn together a community of like interest, but if she, and obvious you, are not prepared to accept that, then I am sorry.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby justme » Wed, 10Jun30 06:34

Squeeky wrote : lydia,
I'd seen RAG games mentioned but knew nothing of them. I seem to understand that I need a "player" to run what you people program into a game session.

While I'm not about to embark into RAGS, I feel that you hold together a pleasant sub-community within "the Lagoon". That is enhanced somewhat within "Projects". I trust that other Lagooners like me appreciate your contribution (sure there are others who contribute but you seem to be the 'hub').

I am not looking to argue with anyone. But I do think there needs to be some clarification of your comments. What part of what is quoted above is not true? Nothing here is suggesting Lydia is some huge Rags guru. Her game appears to me to be the only active one in the Rags threads. Thus saying she is holding together the Rags community would be accurate.

If you are looking for a true Rags guru, then that person would be the one who is writing the engine. But as this is a game forum, wouldn't it be better to have someone who is known for writing Rags games? Check the reply to Lydia's first post here. She was recognized without even having to say who she was. Various other posts here also show proof that she is recognized as one of the top game makers. Other forums will show the same type of evidence. I'd say this would qualify as the guru that you later mention.

So exactly in what way were you "too generous with your praise"? Your comments come off more as a cruel joke. Welcome someone and give them some credit for trying to share the hard work they have put into the games they make. Plus trying to share a new type of game with the forum. And then come after to say, oh, sorry, my mistake. You haven't done anything worth being thanked for. Can you name the last new Rags game that has been posted here? Not new to this forum. New to still being written? The only one I can find is Lydia's game and thanks to oh, I don't know who, it won't be updated here anymore.

So please share this rationale from one upset member how someone else has done so much for the Rags thread.
justme
great white shark

Postby justme » Sat, 10Jul03 23:17

Squeeky

Would a reply to my post be too much to ask?
justme
great white shark

Postby Squeeky » Sun, 10Jul04 02:31

justme wrote : Squeeky

Would a reply to my post be too much to ask?

Sorry, but I shall comment no further on this as that may cause deeper unrest.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

Postby Greebo » Sun, 10Jul04 04:22

Why? The anti Lydia faction got you by the tail? I thought you took a pride in being 'squeaky clean' - obviously you're not all you're puffed up to be.

I looked through 'Lydia's rags corner' in case I was deluding myself about what I had seen in the past, but I found someone who was welcomed as a recognised rags author of apparent talent who apparently received a PM shortly after, allegedly from one of the welcoming committee, that clearly upset her deeply, and from then on certain individuals seemed to slag her off although she was nothing but helpfulness, insight and politeness to others. She certainly appeared to be a 'guru' in her knowledge of writing rags IF.

The points justme makes certainly seem to warrant a considered response rather than a brusque dismissal that doesn't speak to the facts.

I don't claim to know the rags system and I haven't tried using it, because it is not apparently multiplatform and I have no desire to struggle with running a heavily M$ centric app on a Linux system - maybe if your REAL 'guru' who knows the system rather than authorship would stand up and be counted they could tell me how to run it under Linux or whether anyone has ported it across - perhaps allowing it to run with Mono instead of M$'s .net framework
“Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.”
― Neil Gaiman
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby justme » Sun, 10Jul04 06:49

Thanks for the support Greebo. I don't pretend to understand Mr. Squeeky's position, but it appears he's not interested in discussing the matter further. Lydia is my best friend and I've never met a sweeter person. Her reception by some of the members here really still hurts her. She doesn't understand what happened and I had hoped to try and get some of the answers for her. It doesn't look like this will happen,

Lydia did say she made a handful of friends while she was here. So I did want them to know she has posted an update to her Dartmoth Manor game today over at Hypnopics. If you have had problems getting a hypnopics account, you may pm for the update. I don't know who she has had issues with on this site, so the people I will give a link to are very limited.
justme
great white shark

Postby muppet787 » Sun, 10Jul04 07:44

Well what I know about computer programming you could write on the back of a stamp and not fill it, in fact I can barely use a computer. I have however played a few of Lydia's games. There is a lot of pictures and complex commmands in there so I certainly would consider her to be a bit of an expert!!
I'm sure she has provided the forum members with hours of fun so I think we could all at least thank her for that!! [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]
muppet787
great white shark

Postby justme » Sun, 10Jul04 22:28

muppet787 wrote : Well what I know about computer programming you could write on the back of a stamp and not fill it, in fact I can barely use a computer. I have however played a few of Lydia's games. There is a lot of pictures and complex commmands in there so I certainly would consider her to be a bit of an expert!!
I'm sure she has provided the forum members with hours of fun so I think we could all at least thank her for that!! [img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img]

I'll be sure to pass your thanks on to Lydia today. She likes to see feedback as it lets her know people are playing the games. I could imagine trying something like this myself. But the idea of sharing it with so many other people would scare the idea right out of me. I don't know what people might say. I also would wonder what was thought if no one said anything. So I guess I can see her point.
justme
great white shark

Postby iamystic » Sat, 10Jul24 04:19

I have 1.5.0.0 downloaded also 1.6.0.0, when i try a game it says i need a retro version, any idea where i need to look , ragsgame downloaded the 1.5.0.0 when i tryed to get it,
iamystic
lagoon predator

Postby iamystic » Sat, 10Jul24 04:27

should add game says 0.9.9.2 its called tim's mom
iamystic
lagoon predator

Postby justme » Sun, 10Jul25 03:42

iamystic

If your posts are talking about Tim's Mom, then you have posted your comments in the wrong thread. It is not one of L's games.
justme
great white shark

Postby ExLibris » Sun, 10Jul25 06:10

iamystic wrote : should add game says 0.9.9.2 its called tim's mom

Legacy versions of RAGS (1.5.0.0 and 0.9.9.2) can be downloaded from http://www.ragsgame.com/Downloads.aspx.

Alternatively, you could download the original ADRIFT game (of which the RAGS version is a straight port) from http://ccole.aifcommunity.org/.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

PreviousNext

Return to RAGS games