lydia's rags corner

The specific forum for rags games creators

Re: lydia's rags corner

Postby Hey Chief » Thu, 12Jun14 05:45

lydia, It is good to see you back. I know that most of us missed you and your inputs
[img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img] The Chief
Hey Chief
lagoon predator

Postby lydia02 » Sun, 12Jun17 02:44

Hey Chief wrote:lydia, It is good to see you back. I know that most of us missed you and your inputs
[img]images/icones/icon13.gif[/img] The Chief

Thanks. Remember you fondly. My game continues to downloaded at a good rate so that's been a nice welcome as well.
lydia02
lagoon predator

sex: Female

Postby lydia02 » Sat, 12Jun30 21:02

Have started a new project and still considering the right game engine for it. Have tried out renpy with it's dating sim engine for it's event scheduler and stats bar. Even put together a demo to give players an idea of how the concept would work in renpy,

Have called the game pop star as it involves the player in the role of talent manager. His task is to train a teen girl to be a pop star. The target at game end is to have enough popularity to reach pop star status. In the renpy demo, this is done by choosing from various actions to build up different stats. The actions start with default events and build toward event opportunities to further lead to the pop star goal. But for right now it's just the one day demo. This allows me to get a feel for the software as well as player response.

Suppose this goes in the project section were I to post the demo. But first question is is this demo something players would have an interest in trying out? As mentioned, most looking for an overall response to how well renpy acts as the game vehicle. Not enough material to get a real sense of character or what the game truly offers. So post if you have an interest in such a discussion.
lydia02
lagoon predator

Postby roberttx » Sun, 12Jul01 22:10

Nice to see you back, Lydia.
roberttx
lagoon predator

Postby Henrik » Mon, 12Jul02 03:58

lydia02 wrote:Have started a new project and still considering the right game engine for it. Have tried out renpy with it's dating sim engine for it's event scheduler and stats bar. Even put together a demo to give players an idea of how the concept would work in renpy,

Have called the game pop star as it involves the player in the role of talent manager. His task is to train a teen girl to be a pop star. The target at game end is to have enough popularity to reach pop star status. In the renpy demo, this is done by choosing from various actions to build up different stats. The actions start with default events and build toward event opportunities to further lead to the pop star goal. But for right now it's just the one day demo. This allows me to get a feel for the software as well as player response.

Suppose this goes in the project section were I to post the demo. But first question is is this demo something players would have an interest in trying out? As mentioned, most looking for an overall response to how well renpy acts as the game vehicle. Not enough material to get a real sense of character or what the game truly offers. So post if you have an interest in such a discussion.

oh yeah. absolutely. it actually sounds like if renpy can handle the rpg elements (stat building based on choices made vs. time constraints) that it's a perfect setup for what you're trying to do.

i think it sounds like a great idea.
Henrik
great white shark

Postby lydia02 » Sat, 13Apr13 16:10

Received a number of requests to re-release my first rags game, university sim1 on another board. As I recall, some players have had problems accessing the other site. So thought I'd put a link to the game here as well. In the process of reworking the game, added a fair amount of new material. Plus corrected a good deal of coding that finally allows players to see the game as it was intended to be played.

The game is of the puzzle genre. It's about the main character corwin who goes on an assignment to do what appears to be a fluff advertising piece on a university. Corwin's task is to take pictures and interview the 5 main individuals at the university. Which just so happens to be a female only establishment. Hope you'll enjoy the game. The link below is for the 3 day demo.

Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s8mc9n5nh23dinm
lydia02
lagoon predator

Postby smokindavis » Sun, 13Apr14 10:25

Is the full version of this or of your other games available for purchase?
smokindavis
great white shark

Postby lydia02 » Sun, 13Apr14 17:23

smokindavis wrote:Is the full version of this or of your other games available for purchase?

Thanks for your interest. The full versions of dartmoth manor and University SIm1 are available through paypal. Still need to work on University SIm2 before it is ready. Anyone interested, please contact me via pm.
lydia02
lagoon predator

Postby smokindavis » Fri, 13Apr19 05:16

sent
smokindavis
great white shark

Postby lydia02 » Wed, 13May01 05:27

smokindavis wrote:sent

Sorry for the late replies to yours and other pm's. Been a difficult time for my family as of late so haven't been on the internet for several weeks.
lydia02
lagoon predator

Postby peter1212 » Mon, 14Apr07 18:42

Hey Lydia, I wanted to say that you are able to make so much better games and best ones too than why do you take a price for a good game as I think that a creator should want appreciation rather than money just like Rockstars for their pathetic GTA 5 and not releasing that game on PC as thier minds are bent down to money. So why act like them and not provide a free link to that game. Also I am sure that as so many users liked the game they would have made the donations and it would be pretty much good money so please provide a full version game, please I request you. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]
peter1212

Postby Squeeky » Tue, 14Apr08 07:50

Peter ..... I am a little concerned that your comments seem a little inflammatory. Like Shark, Pusooy and Leonizer, Lydia is quite entitled to have some compensation for works developed. Shark's prime reason is to provide financial support for the server which supports this Board.
That a developer may seek a fee is a right that we should respect, we may not know the reason and maybe we don't need to know, just respect that person's choice.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

sex: Masculine

Postby lydia02 » Fri, 14Apr11 17:36

peter1212 wrote:Hey Lydia, I wanted to say that you are able to make so much better games and best ones too than why do you take a price for a good game as I think that a creator should want appreciation rather than money just like Rockstars for their pathetic GTA 5 and not releasing that game on PC as thier minds are bent down to money. So why act like them and not provide a free link to that game. Also I am sure that as so many users liked the game they would have made the donations and it would be pretty much good money so please provide a full version game, please I request you. [img]images/icones/icon7.gif[/img]

Have the impression part of the question comes down to providing free games or charging for them. Charging for a game has become more common and of course I can't comment on what may lead others to do so. In my case its' an old and not very interesting story. Despite working full time in a professional position, the tough economy has prevented raises for jobs while everything continues to cost more. Factor in paying my own insurance and raising a child, having the money to cover the monthly bills, plus the extras that tend to come along, makes it rough to manage a budget. So extra money sure would be helpful but part-time work is hard to schedule in. Then add in the fact that even more sitter expenses need to come out of this extra income. It doesn't come out to much. Never mind when would I see my child? Gaming I can do from home with a flex schedule. It only pays a bill here and there, but it is something.

As to why not go the donation route? My intent with purchasing is that the person would receive something in return for their purchase. If I used donations and posted the full games, I wouldn't have anything left to give to someone who donates. I've spoken with a chat friend and he's suggested a donation system with extra items like being able to name a character as a donation bonus. Considering using such a system when I resume my looking glass game. Since I've already told people that purchasing a game was the only way to receive the full version, it wouldn't seem fair to me to now change and post the full games. But with looking glass, making it know up front that it would be a donation system, could try seeing if donations might indeed exceed what the purchasing option has managed.

Haven't received a single complaint from anyone who purchased one of my games, so proud that the system has worked at least in this regard. I do enjoy hearing from people who play my games and, as you suggest, providing free versions would certainly allow me to reach more people. Sadly, budget issues and the wish to have something to offer in exchange in a sale has meant that I needed to change from free games to sales for full versions. Hopefully I followed your points properly and this answers your questions.
lydia02
lagoon predator

Postby LRM » Fri, 14Apr11 22:17

@ lydia02:
My 2¢. It's your decision and please allow no one to brow beat you into something you aren't comfortable with.
I must be honest and up front, I'm on a fixed budget and won' t be donating or purchasing. I like the idea of providing a free game and selling/donating for the extras. Anyone that's already purchased your game should receive gratis, any and all improvements, again IMO.
You follow your heart.
Lou
@ peter1212;
I too thought you a little harsh, I'm going to call it a language barrier.
Got Wood?
LRM

Postby Squeeky » Sat, 14Apr12 01:07

@lydia02.
I don't believe that you had to justify yourself even though it appears you did, and I respect that.
There are so many like peter1212 who seem to think that everything on the internet should be free.

Unlike LRM, I see beneath peter1212's comments an immaturity (that appears in other of his posts too) which is not related to his full command of English.
Squeaky is clean, I'm just a tad messy!
Squeeky
Spirit of the oceans

PreviousNext

Return to RAGS games