College Exam - RAGS dating sim

The specific forum for rags games creators

Re: College Exam - RAGS dating sim

Postby jkast91 » Sat, 10Feb06 05:13

Great Game
Question, Can anyone give me a hint to get mony from Jake.
Thanks

is ther any other games for RAGS. I like this engine better than TADS
jkast91
great white shark

sex: Masculine

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 10Feb06 05:40

@jkast
The only way I know of to get the money from Jake is to tell him you'll put in a good word with Riley (and not be lying)

Nearly every game produced for RAGS is adult, but nearly all of those are also MC or TF themed (and available from tfgamessite or the Hypnopics Collective). The only exceptions I can think of are YADS and College Exam (available here), and a game that was entered in the AIF minicomp a couple of years ago (I can't remember the name of it, but it came last)
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

sex: Female

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 10Feb06 05:42

Trucla wrote : What really happens is - in my opinion - that RAGS is by far the engine that makes the best marriage of text with pictures.

I completely agree with that. No other authoring system integrates images as well as RAGS.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby Bunny the Veggie Slayer » Sat, 10Feb06 06:27

Trucla wrote : @Gymfrog: I didn't download your game. And you know why? Just because of all the comments preceding this post of mine.

As a matter of fact, one of the reasons (may be the main one) why real lovers of (A)IF don't like RAGS games is because of the publication of unfinished and/or fully bugged games. And from what I've read your game is in the and area.

Please imitate our host, Mr (should I say Sir?) Shark and publish your game only when it's finished and well alpha and beta tested by some experienced gamers.

Otherwise, much like many other RAGS games in the "market", you are concurring to giving RAGS a bad name. And the engine is fantastic!

Thanks!

I was going to post a reply to this yesterday, but I'm glad I didn't given the later post by Trucla.

Trucla wrote : I don't want to make a war of this, but what really happens is that most authors who started using RAGS oriented their games - for several reasons - to the pictures, not worrying about the texts. What really happens is - in my opinion - that RAGS is by far the engine that makes the best marriage of text with pictures.

Cheers!

I first thought that Trucla was flaming gymfrog for the unfinished condition of his game.

I now realise that Trucla is really just a passionate fan of these games and was trying to keep standards high.

The problem (as I see it) is that trying to develope an adult game (or any other) can be rather daunting. At least with the lagoon, you know that the other visitors will be more inclined to your type of game, especially if it is of the adult variety.

I think it's pretty much the same for any artistic pastime. Personally I'm trying to learn rendering via Daz3D and also trying to get a grip on the acoustic guitar a lovely lady bought me for my birthday. While I enjoy making "art" with both these tools, I could not build up the courage top give a demonstration to my real life friends.

This is where the likes of the lagoon can be so powerful. There was a suggestion a few months ago about using the lagoon as a games developers forum (the actual thread escapes me at the minute).

Perhaps, if the Great Toothed One permits, we could have a sub forum where people could submit their work in progress?

Other members could volunteer as testers, and give detailed feedback. To my mind the only thing worse than an unfinished game, is someone being to afraid to try and make any game at all.

Just remember folks, we are here to have fun! It doesn't really matter if what you make is low quality cliched spangledata. If it only brings a smile to one other person in the whole world, you've accomplished something.

What more can we ask for?*

*Well we could ask for Chloe to appear in our bath tomorrow...
Bunny the Veggie Slayer
great white shark

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 10Feb06 09:23

@Bunny
I think this is the thread you were thinking of. It was interesting while it lasted, but it didn't really end up going anywhere.

There are basically two methods for writing a game. The first is to write the game, put it through some closed testing, fix the bugs, release it, fix some more bugs. The second is to release an unfinished game, (hopefully) get feedback, bug reports and suggestions from your target audience, release a new version and repeat.

I think that the first method produces better quality games, but I understand why people would choose the first method. Creating a game is a lot of work, and the only payment the author gets is feedback (and their underpaid given that the average response rate is something like 1%). So it's nice to get the feedback sooner rather than later.

The second method can produce good games, especially if the community provides constructive feedback. I hope that gymfrog remains committed to improving College Exam, as it's a fun game underneath the bugs.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby ExLibris » Sat, 10Feb06 09:31

gymfrog wrote : I had grandiose ideas on where I was going to take this, and ran into one problem after another in figuring out how the engine and programing worked.

I've had exactly the same problem the couple of times I've tried to design a game. I start out with a basic idea, which gets more and more elaborate as I develop it, until finally it's so big I know I'm never going to finish it.

How much of the game did you have designed before you started programming it?

There was a discussion at aifarchive (here- registration required) a couple of months ago about different methods of writing games. I personally like to write out a sample transcrïpt first, though it has to be said I've never completed anything with that method.
ExLibris
legend of the South Seas

Postby peterson9803 » Sun, 10Feb07 05:09

Okay, first things first:

The game is fun. Sure, it's buggy - which is why it's called a beta - but honestly? I didn't encounter too many problems. To be honest, I can't even remeber them - they're miniscule. (Okay, apparently the girls sometimes forget when exactly I was in the conversation, but else?)

I am, however, terribly stumped on one thing - how does one get your friend to pay back the money in the newest version? I have talked to Bambi, I have followed him to the gym, I don't know. Someone's got a clue?
peterson9803
Pilot fish

Postby skuggan » Sun, 10Feb07 06:12

When you first meet Jake (in his room).

"Ask about Riley"
"Yes, I will"
"Jake - Can I have the money I lent you back?"
skuggan
great white shark

Postby peterson9803 » Sun, 10Feb07 16:03

Ah, thanks a lot - I didn't answer that way, because I was interested in Riley.

Can verify the "Edo"-Bug. Oh, and is it planned, that you talk to Riley about study time in the convenience store? There's another bug - in the store, you can choose "where do you want to start" and ask her about what she wants to study.
peterson9803
Pilot fish

Postby cowboyblob » Mon, 10Feb08 18:32

The only good ending I could manage was the history lesson with Riley. I can't buy anything at the Beer Store, even though I have a College ID... and beer, wine coolers, and vodka don't grow on trees.
cowboyblob
star of the reef

sex: Masculine

Postby pooya3960 » Tue, 10Feb09 14:00

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
is the any one have good end?
please write walkthrogh about thisssss game!
pooya3960
great white shark

Postby pooya3960 » Wed, 10Feb10 09:52

i cant get strip from none of girls! when i enter in holly's room i can just say ''i bring for you beer'' and after that molly left the room!
i also i cant get strip from alien or sara?
what should i do?
pooya3960
great white shark

Postby pooya3960 » Wed, 10Feb10 15:23

i get with railey end!
but cant get holly and sara strip or end!
also who have rags player v 1.4 direct download link?
pooya3960
great white shark

Postby pooya3960 » Wed, 10Feb10 21:18

hehe
i take 3 end with molly sara and riley but still i cant find peeking the riley and sara's shower!
also i find all items of that staff advisor want(for exm sexy bra towel and ...)
pooya3960
great white shark

Postby qayin » Thu, 10Feb11 02:58

Pardon my stupidness but..

How the hell do i move? im stuck at my room no idea how to move..[quote][/quote]
qayin
Pilot fish

PreviousNext

Return to RAGS games