Biomorph

The specific forum for rags games creators

Re: Biomorph

Postby tffans » Thu, 11Apr21 05:04

Does anyone know of a version of Biomorph version past 0.1?
tffans
Pilot fish

Postby psycho72 » Thu, 11Apr21 07:59

i have both ver 0.1 and 0.2
but whatever games i put seem to have copywright
so please pm me
psycho72
lagoon predator

Postby PapaSmurf » Sat, 11Apr23 11:34

if it's a free game there is no copy right i wish people would understand that
PapaSmurf
lagoon predator

Postby vickman11 » Mon, 11Apr25 08:35

Psycho, please pm me both versions.
Thx
vickman11
Pilot fish

Postby Trucla » Tue, 11Apr26 02:54

PapaSmurf a dit : if it's a free game there is no copy right i wish people would understand that
And what if the author doesn't want his/her games published in other sites than the one of his/her own choice?
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

sex: Masculine

Postby Craban » Tue, 11Apr26 03:39

PapaSmurf wrote : if it's a free game there is no copy right i wish people would understand that

In the role of an author I cannot really leave this uncommented.
It's a bit vague and could be misleading. You may think about public domain but the word "free" is typically used with other license models.

Free software, documentation or art does not mean there is no copyright. Only work that is explicitly declared as public domain effectively has no copyright restrictions. Since the open source community established some free copyright models there is not really much in public domain but more and more is under a free license.
Craban
star of the reef

Postby PapaSmurf » Wed, 11Apr27 09:58

Craban i understand what your saying but if it's a free game what's the point of makeing it if only certain forums only have access. u think that the maker would like more feedbck on there game.

I noticed alot of the rags games there owners seem to only want it posted at one or 2 sites if it's a free game why not distribute it?
PapaSmurf
lagoon predator

Postby Craban » Fri, 11Apr29 19:23

We can think of several reasons but my point is that it's the author's decision what we can do with his work and that is true for all created things except for those put into public domain. Free games (e.g. ones that are explicitly licensed as GPL, GFDL, artistic license, creative commons, etc.) are not in public domain automatically and the author still has the power to decide about his work.

One obvious reason comes to my mind: An author may restrict publication to certain sites to promote these and/or earn at least a little bit with advertisement.

A painter may show you his work for free and appreciate feedback but he may not be willing to give you a copy. With software that is so easily distributable things get more complicated in technical aspects but it's still the work of an author who has all rights on it.

It's not my intention to accuse someone but I'm getting a little emotional when it comes to free licenses, the rights and duties and the perception. ;-)
Craban
star of the reef

Postby Greebo » Fri, 11Apr29 19:54

PapaSmurf wrote:Craban i understand what your saying but if it's a free game what's the point of makeing it if only certain forums only have access. u think that the maker would like more feedbck on there game.

I noticed alot of the rags games there owners seem to only want it posted at one or 2 sites if it's a free game why not distribute it?

As puso says in msg# 2262 on his site concerning precisely this sort of issue
I have not given any particular sites permission to post the games. Each of the games have explicit information included that tell webmasters that the game must not be played at any other site. That means it must not be hosted anywhere else but pusooy.net. Posting a link to a game or a site is always okay. Here is the test: If you see one of my games at any other site, click on it. Once it is playing, look at the address bar at the top of the browser. If it says pusooy.net, then everything is good!

If that is what the creator of anything wants, whether it is available free of charge or not, then in all courtesy that is what you should abide by. There can be good reasons for putting this sort of requirement on the viewing or playing of a game or story or similar creation - one example is if the creator wants to keep an eye on the hits his or her creation is getting.
Greebo
Great Master of corals

Postby Trucla » Fri, 11Apr29 23:51

@Greebo: Very well said! Especially because I always value ethics and moral above the law!
Trucla
If a guy is hungry, don't feed him! Just offer a fishing rod and teach him fishing!
Trucla
legend of the South Seas

Postby jkast91 » Mon, 11May09 15:25

psycho72 could you please pm me a copy of both. Thank you
jkast91
great white shark

Postby nathsatan » Fri, 11May13 04:51

jkast91 wrote:psycho72 could you please pm me a copy of both. Thank you